2019 Russian Ladies World Team Selection

I always confused and mad about how the judges give the scores in this sport. And now this. The drama. 

This kind of injustice makes me sad and less interested in this sport. 

I'm not a fan of liza but I could feel the disappointment she might feel right now. She deserves better. 

To be honest, I think that while Rusfed's decision is cold to Liza, it's not necessarily illogical. Zhenya has a higher ceiling than Liza, and with their number one medal threat Alina having issues this season, they might prefer their medal chances with Zhenya to their medal chances with Liza. Zhenya appears to have an upward trajectory as of late, and Liza had her pneumonia issue, so it's unclear that one is more reliable than the other at this point in time, especially since they performed similarly at CoR. Liza definitely deserves it more, but if you treat it as a numbers game with the goal of maximizing medal chances, the choice is less clear and there's a decent case for going for Zhenya.

Can't say they're handling PR well though.

33 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Well, if Zhenya doesn't get that famed head and consistency back in a few weeks, I'd hate to see what's tossed her way afterwards. It would get pretty brutal, I think. And ugly. I really hope she does well now, so much at stake. 

I guess the dice have been rolled. Now it's up to her. 

I'm thinking the same thing. 

4 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Zhenya appears to have an upward trajectory as of late,

I really am curious as to why people think this. She's been getting called out more in the international events this season, and there were URs + flutz ignored in RCF, and IIRC nationals too. Does the upward trajectory also include the hope that she won't be called on anything if she goes "clean" at worlds?

She's been looking more confident lately, and is landing things more. It might be a personal upward trajectory, but not something that skews the decision in her favour.

40 minutes ago, freyaminnie said:

We won't. Because for all the Rusfed drama choosing, the Japanese ladies still get low balled on their PCS unlike the Russians. So the Russians only have to skate clean-ish and judges will be throwing PCS at them anyway. 

Only if there's Russian judges on the panel. 

Also, PCS scores or no, it's the Japanese ladies that are bringing it in terms of technical elements this year, no one else besides the Russians even come close.  If your BV is high enough, PCS matters less. It still matters, I'm not going to pretend it doesn't, but even on that front, compared to the rest of the world, the Japanese should be highest in PCS, they've had all the best skates this year.

Just now, hoodie axel said:

I really am curious as to why people think this. She's been getting called out more in the international events this season, and there were URs + flutz ignored in RCF, and IIRC nationals too. Does the upward trajectory also include the hope that she won't be called on anything if she goes "clean" at worlds?

Isn't it obvious? She only fell on 3S3Lo at Cup of Russia, a new element for her so understandably less stable, and her expression and commitment to her performance has improved drastically since stone-faced Orange Colored Sky at IdF. Plus, obvious mistakes do matter more than less obvious mistakes because you can get your URs/flutzes overlooked (as lots of skaters do, this is not an issue that pertains only to her), but you can't get falls overlooked (and falls are penalized more anyway).

8 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Isn't it obvious? She only fell on 3S3Lo at Cup of Russia, a new element for her so understandably less stable, and her expression and commitment to her performance has improved drastically since stone-faced Orange Colored Sky at IdF. Plus, obvious mistakes do matter more than less obvious mistakes because you can get your URs/flutzes overlooked (as lots of skaters do, this is not an issue that pertains only to her), but you can't get falls overlooked (and falls are penalized more anyway). 

No, it's not obvious. She'd be at the mercy of the TP, compared to Tuktamysheva. If this were 2016-17 season, it'd make sense. And I don't know what you're looking at, her Tosca SP at RCF was easily one of her worst performances this season, staying on her feet aside. Even if this were correct, it's still far lower than what tuktamysheva has delivered in the SP and LP,  and CAN deliver if she hit both her 3As, which is where we're going with given the 3 low quality data points in Med's case anyway.

With Zhenya, I think her SP is ready for Worlds, but not her LP.  If you look at the difference between her SP at Rus Nats and the Rus Cup, the difference is striking.

I feel bad for all of the Russia skaters involved in this mess.

4 minutes ago, shanshani said:

There's no Russian or Japanese judges on the ladies panel IIRC. Though whatever makes judges score Russian skaters higher on PCS than Japanese skaters is sadly not limited to Russian judges.

I honestly don't see how they'll be able to do it this year without it looking like blatant racism. The Japanese ladies have all just been that good. Meanwhile, Alina's POTO is an aesthetic mess and both Zhenya's skates are still rough around the edges, and Samodurova is just...bland.

Hace 1 hora, PapiandPooh422 said:

I understand that you're disappointed of what happened but please refrain from being harsh to a girl who also fought for her right. It's not her fault the situation escalated to this and it's extremely unfair to say all of these when she just did what she's supposed to do and worked hard. 

Well, Liza worked just as hard. I said what I said. If Medvedeva's team is out there saying she earned the spot fairly then you can't expect me to have sympathy for her. They could've just said they're happy about it (which is understandable) and leave it at that.
When Takahashi was selected for Worlds, many people claimed that the right thing to do was for him to give his spot to a younger skater (even though he came rightfully 2nd at Nationals). Now those people are okay with Med taking a spot that actually shouldn't be hers. The double standard jumped out lol

17 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

No, it's not obvious. She'd be at the mercy of the TP, compared to Tuktamysheva. If this were 2016-17 season, it'd make sense. And I don't know what you're looking at, her Tosca SP at RCF was easily one of her worst performances this season, staying on her feet aside. Even if this were correct, it's still far lower than what tuktamysheva has delivered in the SP and LP,  and CAN deliver if she hit both her 3As, which is where we're going with given the 3 low quality data points in Med's case anyway.

Well, many just want to justify her move to Orser. To me, there is no visible improvement as many claimed so far.