2019 Russian Ladies World Team Selection

4 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I think Rika can have the "it" factor. Beautiful storm has the potential to have the "it" factor for me, but only in the first half so far because the choreography gets a bit sparse towards the end.

Hmm. For me it is definitely inferior to Kaori's LP, but idk if it's because the choreo is sparse...

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

OT but I’m getting so tired of the nastiness that’s crept into this forum lately. It’s always the same 2-3 people very obviously trying to spread hate and stir up arguments. I’m sure everyone else has noticed, too, and bless the mods and admins for keeping their cool.

This used to be a really fun and friendly forum and I’m really sad to see a handful of people come along to poison it and do so successfully by stopping just shy of violating any rules. 

Bless your banoctopooh soul! :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

1 hour ago, WinForPooh said:

I know this situation is entirely unfair, but from another perspective... Well, from Zhenya's perspective, this is reward for everything she has been through and she has done, too. In a just world, if a skater leaves a bad situation risking everything, puts in all their effort to fix flaws they'd been called out for, suffers the natural consequences of different training and new techniques only to be trashed and dismissed by so many people as if she was a has-been, finally begins to show some of the positive effects of all the changes in competition, she should also get some reward for all that effort. It's also fair to be rewarded for taking risks to do the right thing. From Brian's perspective, he was trashed and his training methods were trashed because there were no immediate results even if expecting any was ludicrous, and now her improvement is getting tangible recognition from the federation. 

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with that perspective, just that from another direction, taking only Zhenya's choices into account, I can see how this could be seen as a chance for vindication, which would be fair to her and her team considering everything they have had to deal with. Without a shot at Worlds and good skates there, would she even get two GP assignments next season? What's fair about doing everything she's supposed to and then being punished for it? And the process - well, people voted and Zhenya got more votes. That's basically democracy, it's supposed to be the fairest process. The politics behind it, completely unfair.

It becomes very unfair because it's not just about her. Liza has been treated very unfairly. :( 

My post is towards to Brian's choice of word, not about Evgenia get wc spot. She's still high on ws standing and sb list so no problem to get 2 gp even if she doesnt go to wc. Liza still get 2 gps despite not going wc/ec for years. I want to say betting on Evgenia skate clean is as risky as Liza land her 3A and rus fed choose the first option. Hopefully that pay off for everyone's sake. Evgenia at wc doesnt change anything to me minus there would be more drama. 

I'm sad about Liza but its not the end of the world. This is not the first time I saw a skater being treat unfairly and it wont be the last. Luckily they're not my fave, I would lose all my chill if this ever happen to Mao lol. I'm also feel bad for Konstantinova, she got so much hate because the whole unfinished wc list on monday as well. 

This is my last post about Rus ladies's wc team. Sorry if i bring any negativity to this topic. 

28 minutes ago, Fay said:

Ok, adding up to the drama of the situation, the French CBC came up with an article saying Zhenya is leaving Canada. 

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1155488/patinage-artistique-evgenia-medvedeva-canada-russie

TSL claims it’s a mistranslation at best

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1100889609381257216

My goodness... :animated-smileys-embarrassed-23:

22 minutes ago, Fay said:

Ok, adding up to the drama of the situation, the French CBC came up with an article saying Zhenya is leaving Canada. 

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1155488/patinage-artistique-evgenia-medvedeva-canada-russie

TSL claims it’s a mistranslation at best

https://mobile.twitter.com/SkatingLesson/status/1100889609381257216

First the 90k claim, now this... What is wrong lol

2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

OT but I’m getting so tired of the nastiness that’s crept into this forum lately. It’s always the same 2-3 people very obviously trying to spread hate and stir up arguments. I’m sure everyone else has noticed, too, and bless the mods and admins for keeping their cool.

This used to be a really fun and friendly forum and I’m really sad to see a handful of people come along to poison it and do so successfully by stopping just shy of violating any rules. 

Yeah, sometimes the same points don't need to be rehashed over and over and over...

Unfortunately, with every online community the loudest/most "passionate" voices can inadvertently drown out all others. And figure skating communities fall into these traps more often than not because of how controversy-prone the sport is. 

I understand that certain events may be frustrating but don't bash people, don't speculate ill intentions on others, don't wish harm on anyone, don't rehash criticism over and over, and be civil/constructive. Like you might be angry at the sport but this is still a figure skating forum so don't talk about how figure skating sucks in every other post. Similarly, you can express how unfair the situation is for Liza without bashing Medvedeva. Please try to stick to these guidelines, thank you (and report anything you think violates them) :thanks:

6 hours ago, liv said:

Edit: from everything I've heard Brian is a very caring and lovely person in real life (Javi sees him as a 2nd dad, and I think most people would agree that JAvi is a nice guy)

I have also heard from multiple sources that Brian is a very caring and lovely person! He does have a talent for talking to the media that isn't 100% filterless, which helps him navigate expectations and publicity for him and his skaters. I think that's great, and nothing about it seems remotely close to shady business tactics AFAIK!

32 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I have also heard from multiple sources that Brian is a very caring and lovely person! He does have a talent for talking to the media that isn't 100% filterless, which helps him navigate expectations and publicity for him and his skaters. I think that's great, and nothing about it seems remotely close to shady business tactics AFAIK!

This is my point exactly. 

@hoodie axel : I was going to give you a sharp reply to your question, but thanks to @SparkleSalad 's timely post about avoiding nastiness,  I thought better of it. However, please try to remember that in Canada, cheating and/or corruption in sport is looked down on and taken very seriously at all levels of sport, from little kids on the playground all the way up to the Olympics. There also isn't the kind of money and prestige in sports here that exists in other countries; the only sport in Canada that is that rich is hockey. So backroom dealing or 'influence' or whatever you want to call it - it doesn't happen here, not in the way you implied, because it would be seen as cheating. 

48 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

This is my point exactly. 

@hoodie axel : I was going to give you a sharp reply to your question, but thanks to @SparkleSalad 's timely post about avoiding nastiness,  I thought better of it. However, please try to remember that in Canada, cheating and/or corruption in sport is looked down on and taken very seriously at all levels of sport, from little kids on the playground all the way up to the Olympics. There also isn't the kind of money and prestige in sports here that exists in other countries; the only sport in Canada that is that rich is hockey. So backroom dealing or 'influence' or whatever you want to call it - it doesn't happen here, not in the way you implied, because it would be seen as cheating. 

But I wasn't talking about cheating at all, nor was I talking about Canadian coaches exclusively. Back room dealing in-so-far as they involve money are disliked the world across. Skate Canada's politicking is well known, and there was very good speculation about why Gadbois took on all those international teams this season. Influence does matter in skating, and Canada is a big Fed. I don't see how the coaches there are exempt from the same pitfalls as other big feds in skating. I don't think you understood my point, or maybe I didn't convey it well... Anyway, I'll move on from this topic.