What music are you listening to right now?

Deliverpooh

• 3 weeks later...

I was listening Rolling Stones today, and then now I read the news that their drummer Charlie Watts has died today at the age of 80. He was the band's drummer in the past 58 years, him, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were the three members who were threre from the beginning, the others came later. Compared to Jagger and Richards he was more in the background, but his contribution to shaping the sound of the Stones was big. RIP.

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

I was listening Rolling Stones today, and then now I read the news that their drummer Charlie Watts has died today at the age of 80. He was the band's drummer in the past 58 years, him, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards were the three members who were threre from the beginning, the others came later. Compared to Jagger and Richards he was more in the background, but his contribution to shaping the sound of the Stones was big. RIP.

So bummed to hear about this today. The calm center is gone. So grateful to have had the opportunity to see the stones live on the no filters tour. 

Some music I listened to today

• The Soft Machine I (1968) full album (Canterbury's best jazz fusion band's great debut)
  • Arctic Monkeys - Suck it and See (2011) full album (not their best but still an enjoyable listen in their strong catalogue)
  • Compilation of alternative 1960s: 
    •  Over Under Sideways Down by The Yardbirds
    •  Tomorrow Never Knows by The Beatles (this is an 55 year old song but still sounds like something from the future)
    •  I'm Waiting for My Man by the Velvet Underground & Nico
    •  Piece of My Heart by Big Brother and the Holding Company
    •  Friday on my Mind by The Easybeats (Australia's best song in the 20th century)
    •  Light My Fire by The Doors (Ray Manzarek's organ playing is genius)
    •  Psychotic Reaction by Positively 13 o'clock (I haven't heard of them before)
    •  I'm Five Years Ahead of My Time by The Third Bardo (another obscure band I haven't heard of before)
    •  Turn! Turn! Turn! by The Byrds

It's been 20 years since the death of Aaliyah, I can't believe how time flies. I think the whole R&B-pop scene in the US would've been different had she been alive these past years. She was so talented, I think more talented than others that became really big (like Beyonce, Rihanna...). She was on the rise when she died at age 22.

This song still sounds fresh after all these years. I hope it will be reuploaded on Youtube, too, it had many millions of views.

Aaliyah was one of my favorite R&B singers back in the day. I loved her voice and attitude. I wish she was still around and continued singing and acting, taking full control of her own life and her creation...

Today I am listening to this song.

The singer/songwriter of the band died 12 years ago at the age of 29, so hearing the band's earlier works has always evoked sadness as well as nostalgia. However, today, the song sounds a bit different because we had the news that this song has made it into a music textbook for high schoolers. This is a song about young people at the end of mid-summer, so I found it kind of sweet that we had such news at the beginning of the end of summer (Yes, we are still experiencing heat here...) though I also wonder how this song would sound to the actual young people who may have spent the whole summer stuck in their home.

Here is my translation of the lyrics.

Spoiler

Wakamono no subete (All about the youth)

"The height of summer has peaked out,"

Said the weather forecaster on TV

Though I feel the city is still buzzing

restlessly

The chime telling us it is five in the evening

Somehow resonates within me today

I blur it with a convenient thing

That called "fate"

The time for the last fireworks has come for this summer as well

That I will keep looking back even after years

Will there be no chance? No, there will not

You will not be there, probably