I couldn't stomach some things said in the article :dry: (he's single-handedly rewriting world-class figure skating? um, how about no), but the fluff part is still great, Nathan shows again that he is very humble and down to earth, and the image of baby polar bear Nathan is cute.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/11/21/utah-native-nathan-chen-is-changing-figure-skating-and-his-next-stop-is-the-2018-winter-olympics/

The Chen family became, as older sister Alice explains, obsessed with the Olympics. Alice and Janice Chen noticed Nathan’s desire to get on the ice. They later did what two older sisters would do naturally with their baby brother during free time. Zipped him up in a giant puffy white coat and went to public skating sessions.

“He looked like a baby polar bear,” Alice said.

52 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I couldn't stomach some things said in the article :dry: (he's single-handedly rewriting world-class figure skating? um, how about no), but the fluff part is still great, Nathan shows again that he is very humble and down to earth, and the image of baby polar bear Nathan is cute.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2017/11/21/utah-native-nathan-chen-is-changing-figure-skating-and-his-next-stop-is-the-2018-winter-olympics/

I understand that this is a local newspaper and they support him even more, but they talk about him as if he was the greatest of his era, a world champion, Olympic medalist, world record holder, etc. :slinkaway:  The writer states (rather dramatic) opinions as facts without much reasoning.

At 18, he’s not just the next it thing in figure skating, he’s basically there — a prodigy whose ability to fly on the ice has changed the way figure skaters everywhere plan program routines. A star who is single-handedly rewriting how world-class figure skating is not only performed — but also judged.

This :facepalm: I could quote other parts too but I think it's just not necessary.

28 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

I understand that this is a local newspaper and they support him even more, but they talk about him as if he was the greatest of his era, a world champion, Olympic medalist, world record holder, etc. :slinkaway:  The writer states (rather dramatic) opinions as facts without much reasoning.

This :facepalm: I could quote other parts too but I think it's just not necessary.

I know. The writer probably isn't even following figure skating but the opinions as facts part and quotes, ugh. This stuff gets my blood boiling and it's like propaganda but its really not its just people being extra. There's another quote too about how he's the one that forced the other top men to up their game sort of thing. :facepalm: It's hard to ignore because my interest in figure skating and google search keywords serves every single media bait from the U.S. to me. :dry:

But Nathan is a great sportsman and individual as usual. Everyone knows he is a shoo in the U.S. team, but like Hanyu he doesn't seem to be taking it for granted.

1 hour ago, sallycinnamon said:

At 18, he’s not just the next it thing in figure skating, he’s basically there — a prodigy whose ability to fly on the ice has changed the way figure skaters everywhere plan program routines. A star who is single-handedly rewriting how world-class figure skating is not only performedbut also judged.

Wow... give Chiddy, Yuzu, and Boyang the recognition they deserve :tumblr_inline_n2pjd3rZJh1qdlkyg: (they're right about how he (or his quads) has helped changed judging though :slinkaway:)

nathan and shoma in interviews: yeah we started doing harder quads because of boyang doing three in his junior free skate and then landing the quad lutz so well in his first senior season, and because yuzuru did them with such quality

media: ??? who that ??? 

justice for boyang part 32090489 tbh

:facepalm:

nathan is so level headed and hardworking himself, but all of this media attention, articles written with barely any research and baseless facts leave such a bad taste in my mouth. i wish they'd just let his skills speak for themselves sometimes, because a lot of it feels like they're overcompensating when they dont need to :shrug: he's clearly talented and the judges are clearly rewarding him. 

2 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

At 18, he’s not just the next it thing in figure skating, he’s basically there — a prodigy whose ability to fly on the ice has changed the way figure skaters everywhere plan program routines. A star who is single-handedly rewriting how world-class figure skating is not only performed — but also judged.

Wait, WHAT!?

I respect Nathan as a skater, but I also respectfully object to this delusional writing!! Single-handedly!? Is this an alternate universe where there is no Yuzu, no Pchiddy, and no other male skaters other than him? With the two skaters mentioned, they are branded rightfully with their strengths. Patrick, a lyrical skater known for his deep edges and great musicality and Yuzuru, the perfect balance of an athletic and artistic skater. I won't even give the title of great athletic skater to him because even if he is regarded as one of the catalysts of the "quad craze" (just one of them because if I remember correctly Boyang is the one who have sown the seeds first) the majority of his jumps are not gracefully executed. I'll still give the title to Yuzu, hands-down.

In terms of "world-class figure skating performance", I'm sorry but he's very far from it and you're all free to object me on this. In my honest opinion, a world-class figure skating performance is a performance that is SO GOOD that the skater is lifted to the hall of fame with that performance in mind for a long time. An identifier so to speak. Plushenko has Tango and Flamenco, Dai Takahashi has Eye, Patrick has Adagio, Javi has Malagueña, Mao has Waltz Masquerade, Yuna has James Bond Medley and Yuzu has Seimei (and I hope many more to come). With Nathan there is still nothing of an extraordinary going on. Let's give him some time and hope for the best but as of now, that article is simply just that, unjustified.

I can't believe that I ranted this much. :facepalm:. But that article really crossed the line.

19 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

A truly vomit-worthy piece of so-called "journalism." It's so ridiculously over-the-top that I'm not sure if it even functions as good PR for him because those interested in figure skating tend to be fairly well educated.

6 hours ago, GreatLakesGal said:

A truly vomit-worthy piece of so-called "journalism." It's so ridiculously over-the-top that I'm not sure if it even functions as good PR for him because those interested in figure skating tend to be fairly well educated.

It's just a local newspaper and the author is obviously not a fs expert. Articles like these do no good for him, honestly... He just doesn't need them.