Team Russia

Guest turquoiseblue

Ilia Averbukh: Both our duos look better than Shibutanis

What to do think about Evgenia Medvedeva’s new free program? Is its replacement justified at the beginning of the season?

– First, I congratulate Zhenya on winning the competitions. It is very difficult for her psychologically, because all by default expect Olympic gold from her. At such a young age, it is not easy to withstand such pressure. But her performance is admirable. In my opinion, both of her programs don’t look 100% ready, but there’s nothing to worry about. The season has just begun, and it is foolish to demand an outstanding skating from Medvedeva. If it is more comfortable for her to do the technical elements in the presented program, then I welcome it in every possible way. It is important to skate cleanly and impeccably, because the main rivals didn’t participate in the tournament in Moscow. The program should fit the athlete, not otherwise.

Probably it’s hurts that they changed your program?

– What’s wrong with that? Nothing fantastic or extraordinary.

Mikhail Kolyada performed quite unevenly. This was previously characteristic of Maxim Kovtun. What is the reason?

– Kolyada’s performance has more pluses than minuses. If you look at the technical score there is no global gap from the fantastic performances of Yuzuru Hanyu and Nathan Chen. This inspires optimism. Mikhail did a good job, he has a good combination, a rich arsenal of jumps. Programs look better than last year. Mikhail has a huge potential, it’s necessary to improve in technique. There was quite a serious competition at Rostelecom Cup. From the elite only Javier Fernandez wasn’t there.

Kolyada now in the the top five of the world’s strongest skaters. No one is insured from mistakes. If he performs his program with a quadruple lutz, salchow and toe loop clean, then he can compete for a medal at the Olympics. It remains only to solve problems with psychology.

I would advise him to replace salchow with two toe loops, because he performs them so easily. But it’s up to the team.

What do you think is going on with Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov?

– We have about two pairs equal in their capabilities and strength. They, along with Eugenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov are the main contenders for Olympic gold. The main thing is Russian duo winning the Olympics.

Bobrova and Soloviev fought on equal with Shibutanis, but themselves gave the victory to the Americans because of a mistake on spin. Do you agree that the fight turned out to be on equal?

– Ekaterina and Dmitri were supposed to beat the Americans in Moscow. Yes, they always skate cleanly, but from the point of view of emotions and harmony ours are better. It’s a mystery to me why judges give them such high marks. Both our duos look better than Shibutanis.

The support of Americans has political nature. For Russians, this is a barrier that separates them from the leading group, where there are Canadians, French and other Americans. The judges acted strangely, giving victory to the Americans. Stepanova and Bukin skated the free dance better. I want to support both our duos.

15 minutes ago, Fay said:

I was more surprised to learn Shoma, Boyang and Patrick are no longer part of the men's figure skating top elite. 

Averbukh is delusional. 

Especially Shoma, who has started the strongest out of the Top 6 scorewise... I mean, I'm all for the Yuzu praise, bring it on, but this interview made me scratch my head so much.  

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Especially Shoma, who has started the strongest out of the Top 6 scorewise... I mean, I'm all for the Yuzu praise, bring it on, but this interview made me scratch my head so much.  

My eyebrows rose to my hairline when he just...forgot 3 other men, not to mention new comers like Vincent Zhou, and outright dismissal of younger ones like Cha Jun Hwa. I like Mikhail too, but he's not exactly safe now, is he? 

As for why...well, Averbukh's not hankering for a trial run as Yuzu's choreographer right? 

As for the Ice Talk with Janny-have to give mad props to her, Oly year and 3 new programs, well 4 actually if you want to count FaOI Anna Karenina and Competitive Anna as 2 separate programs. Who else has the energy and mental stamina to do that? I'm wondering if she's going to skate to the OP History Maker. 

8 hours ago, xeyra said:

Evgenia Medvedeva is featured in the latest episode of Ice Talk, here:

http://web.icenetwork.com/fans/icetalk

I haven't listened yet but apparently she says she'll have a surprise for Japanese fans. Speculation that it might be a Yuri on Ice EX for NHK or GPF has surfaced but I'm not sure she specifies what the surprise is. 

If it's a Yuri on Ice EX, can she do EX with Yuzu? My heart will melt so hard...I know it's close to impossible, but one can always dream right?

I wouldn't mind another sailormoon EX too...Zhenya is very cute in that EX.

5 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

If it's a Yuri on Ice EX, can she do EX with Yuzu? My heart will melt so hard...I know it's close to impossible, but one can always dream right?

I doubt it, but the 2 versions of Eros would be interesting. 

37 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

No thank you.. Yuzu should stay as far away as possible from YOI 

Guest turquoiseblue

Elena Ilinykh told about her commenting experience

Julia invited me to comment Grand-Prix in Russia. She said: “Let’s try.” It was an unusual experience, it’s interesting to watch our sport from the commentator’s booth.

If they invite me again to comment, I will agree with pleasure, it’s great, but  I still have other tasks. We are focused on the selection for the Russian National Championships, which will be held in December in St. Petersburg. We do everything to be selected for this competitions, we have improved our programs, made many changes, changed the elements. All this is not easy, but we are ready to take risks, we’re training from seven in the morning to ten in the evening.