Team Russia

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

Just hers do you think? Are not you under the impression the whole Russian school may be affected? Wouldn't it extend to American, and maybe other schools?

Mishin's skaters don't seem to have this issue, can't speak about other Russian coaches but I haven't noticed it as much. In American skaters, Vincent Zhou comes to mind as having had this problem in the past, although I suspect Lee Barkell will fix it for him. Raf doesn't let his skaters keep bad habits as far as I've seen. And I can't think of any Canadian coaches that would let their skaters suffer that way. Nor any Japanese ones.

42 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Mishin's skaters don't seem to have this issue, can't speak about other Russian coaches but I haven't noticed it as much. In American skaters, Vincent Zhou comes to mind as having had this problem in the past, although I suspect Lee Barkell will fix it for him. Raf doesn't let his skaters keep bad habits as far as I've seen. And I can't think of any Canadian coaches that would let their skaters suffer that way. Nor any Japanese ones.

Well, I don't see Mishin's and Arutyunian's best known pupils as having no issue of the sort.

I voluntarily didn't say Canadian, as it is very clear that at least Brian Orser is a very attentive and thoughtful coach particularly in these matters (really, him and Yuzuru Hanyu were made to work together, whatever one can think of such a collaboration potentially accelerating any hair fall ;-) ) and wouldn't let any pupil keep faults in skating skills. I think some pupils have gone because they wouldn't want such discipline anymore? While Eteri Tutberidze seems to be more like : I show you what to do (and I don't know if she has the best methods/exercises), you do all you can to get high scores, never mind if there are still faults. Soviet culture seems to have been : medals, medals. Not perfection. At least where there were medals (which was not the case of ballet, for instance). And I think it is still the case. And I hold no grudge to Eteri Tutberidze and her team for doing their best, I just hope my preferred skaters will grow harmoniously, and they seem to have the same objective. I am rather grateful, in fact.

Yet even Brian Orser wouldn't make a skater who cannot, dance on ice in such a way as Alina Zagitova does, have such a precision AND explosivity in her movements. And I don't even think he and she would go along that well, at least now, because Alina Zagitova seems to me to be a very sweet and shy teenager who would be quite lost without her family.

11 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

I am quite frankly a bit surprised that Zagitova is now seen as having good SS. I mean, huh. Perhaps the forum has moved on far too much for me to catch up.

Not really. Just a discussion on the status of her SS and what to watch out for to see if a skater has a good or poor SS.

interview with Shcherbakova

Of course it’s very difficult to train without ice. No matter how much exercise we do, it’s still not the same, the sensations are forgotten. But this happens every summer vacation, we train, then a long recovery period.

I try to do various exercises as much as possible, to jump as much as possible at home to maintain physical shape. But, of course, the sensations of jumping are forgotten. When we return to the ice, it will take a long time to recall how it’s done.

https://fs-gossips.com/anna-shcherbakova-in-quarantine-i-have-to-limit-myself-a-little-more-in-food/