Team Japan

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/26/262415744/placid-pieces-miyahara-fights-for-stronger-bones

Mie Hamada has issues with her two senior stars. "Satoko Miyahara is working too hard, and Marin [Honda] is lazy," said the ever-smiling coach from Kyoto. "I need something in the middle."

She just call Marin lazy... I suppose I don't know her training, but she is 16 and was injured earlier this season. Seems wrong to call her lazy :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

4 hours ago, asahi said:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2017/11/26/262415744/placid-pieces-miyahara-fights-for-stronger-bones

Mie Hamada has issues with her two senior stars. "Satoko Miyahara is working too hard, and Marin [Honda] is lazy," said the ever-smiling coach from Kyoto. "I need something in the middle."

She just call Marin lazy... I suppose I don't know her training, but she is 16 and was injured earlier this season. Seems wrong to call her lazy :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

Yikes... that is not something you reveal to press/media. Keep it within you and your student.

Hamada really keeps getting dragged for those words everywhere ^^" IIRC, Marin herself admitted that she doesn't like to train, so I'm not too sure what Hamada said is so different. Brian pretty much said similar things about Javi too. Ofc it might not be the best thing to say out loud, but it IMO depends on the coach student relationship and how openly they talk about things with each other and all. And we know nothing about that. For all we know, Hamada might have said that to Marin for months and tried to get her to focus more on practice, and it didn't work.

Also, Hamada has - completely rightfully IMO - called out the media for hyping Main too much. We gotta remember that with Marin, there is the whole PR company/child idol stuff happening too. I couldn't blame Hamada if she was not exactly happy with that.

4 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

Maybe how it was translated seemed a bit harsh (or maybe the wording? not liking/enjoying practice or training VS being lazy has a bit of a different feel to it).

I think of Hamada as a great coach and she obviously cares a lot about all her skaters.

I do love how she scolded media though. :biggrin:

You are right.  I don't think Hamada sensei actually said the word "lazy" either.  She said that Marin has a too soft/optimistic thinking about figure skating/training, and If she has trained properly, she should not have repeated a mistake after she made one in the beginning (in her SP).  

https://www.excite.co.jp/News/entertainment_g/20171031/Asajo_40215.html

「浜田コーチは温和な性格で、理不尽に怒ったりするタイプではありません。その浜田コーチを怒らせ、しかもそれをマスコミにも隠さないとは、よほどのことがあったんでしょう」(スポーツライター)

浜田コーチは穏やかな笑みを浮かべつつ、「いつも言っていることですが、なかなか懲りないので。私は近所のおばちゃんじゃなくて、コーチなので。アスリートとしては粘着質なところがなさ過ぎて、落ち込んでいるように見えても、次の日になったら忘れるタイプ」「練習が合格点を付けられないので、まずはちゃんと練習してやることを覚えてほしい」など、辛口のコメントを浴びせたようだ。

"Hamada coach has a gentle nature, and rarely gets angry at someone unreasonably, so, there must have been something difficult to overlook that made her so angry, not having hidden it from the media." (by a sportswriter)
Smiling gently, Hamada said, "Because she has not learned although I'm always telling her.  Because I'm not an antie in her neighborhood, but her coach.  She has no tenacity of purpose at all as an athlete.  Even if she looks depressed, she forgets about that next day."  "I cannot give her a passing mark for her practice.  I want her to do practice properly first to remember what she has to do."

http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/829177

「(本来やるべき練習を100としたら)20くらい。飛ばしたり、省くことが多いんですね。きっちりした練習が苦手で、気持ちでやるので1個狂うとこうなるのは十分予想していました」

かねがね、濱田コーチが語ってきた問題でもある。

そして、ある試合を例に説明する。

「子供たちによく言う話があります。浅田真央さんが世界選手権で最初の3アクセルを失敗してフェンスまで行った。でもそのあとちゃんとやって優勝したことがあります」

2008年の世界選手権である。

「浅田真央さんは冷静に立て直して、あとは全部きちんとやった。だからチャンピオンなんです。ほんとうに練習をしている人はミスを連発しない。立て直すのが早い」

そして付け加える。

「今日は懲りるかもしれないけれど、忘れるのも早いから(笑)。勉強になってくれたらいいけれど」

"(If we put 100 for the practice to do rightfully), About 20.  She frequently skips, or omits.  She does not like practices in order, and she just does them as she feels, so I could expect this would happen if one thing has gone wrong."

This is the problem Hamada coach has often mentioned.

And she explains with a competition as an example.

"There is a case I often tell my kid skaters.  Mao Asada failed her first 3A and slid to the fence in the Worlds, but she performed properly the later elements and won the gold medal."

It is the Worlds 2008.

"Mao Asada calmly pulled herself together and did other elements properly.  So, she is a champion.  Those who do training really do not repeat mistakes.  They recover quickly."

And she adds.

"Marin might be regretful today, but she forgets it quickly (laugh).  I hope this could be a good lesson for her."

:2thumbsup:

Both articles say that it is true in a meaning Marin is in her position now through her own pace.  No one can deny her optimistic nature :laughing: but she may need to take her coach's advice a bit more seriously.  I hope she is learning day by day, although she might be forgettable :chase:

I love all these documentaries shining a light on these athletes' stories but it's going to make JNats so much harder because I'll be even more emotionally invested in all the hopefuls 

:13877886:

I'm a little conflicted about the Hamada backlash - on one hand, I...don't find it unusual for coaches to talk frankly about things that their students still have to work on, especially if she's being asked directly (perhaps a cultural...thing? like...it's pretty common for Asian parents to just outright criticise their own children in front of others so perhaps I was just raised to think it's not...nice but not unusual either). I don't think it's fair to assume she hasn't raised the issue with Marin in the past because it sounds like she has many times, though saying so through the media seems to be like a 'let's see if this can finally get through to her' measure. I definitely don't get a sense she's being malicious - on the contrary, I'm pretty sure it's because she cares a lot about Marin that she's saying these things - the fact she called Marin her 'most talented student' says volumes. On the other hand, I do think it's important that coaches and skaters present a united front to the media and that giving them more ammunition to throw against Marin seems like a pretty unfair thing to do, especially considering how young she is and all the expectation on her shoulders.  

Not sure if it's smart to do this, especially if her sponsors read it. Though, perhaps she's at her wits end and tries to force her talented student, who could do so much, to listen.

Marin, being both naturally talented and popular because of non-skating related things, might think it all comes automatically. 

I find it less disturbing because Marin has chosen to a certain extent to live a very public life - the whole family is out there as media personalities as far as I can tell.  Perhaps Hamada has been trying to get through to her and failed and this is another avenue that she's trying.

Guest turquoiseblue
20 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Some videos from Junior Nationals 2017 :10815002:

Rika Kihira FS

Reveal hidden contents

Mako Yamashita FS

Reveal hidden contents

Nana Araki FS 

Reveal hidden contents

More videos from Jr. Nationals :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

:8430721: Ladies FS

Yuhana Yokoi 

Spoiler

Riko Takino

Spoiler

Rinka Watanabe

Spoiler

Tomoe Kawabata

Spoiler

:8430721: Men FS

Mitsuki Sumoto

Spoiler