Team Japan

1 hour ago, Melodie said:

How do you spot UR? I'm genuinely curious because I can only spot prerotation on a Flip or Lutz :Poohgaveup:

Try to look frame by frame. Sadly, I'm not able right now (and in foreseeable future) to post any screenshots.

5 hours ago, Paskud said:

Try to look frame by frame. Sadly, I'm not able right now (and in foreseeable future) to post any screenshots.

Gracias, I will try that. Do you think she should bring the loop combo to competition? She must have enough confidence in it I think.

PS: I just realized that she does bring loop combos to comps, just not as two-jump jumping passes or the second jump of three-jump jumping passes.

Cross posting from Team Canada thread since Riku and Ryuichi are training there:

Fundraiser by Meagan Duhamel : Skate Oakville Pairs Showcase

https://www.gofundme.com/f/skate-oakville-pairs-showcase

Hi everyone! Thank you for taking the time to even open this GoFundMe page! The skaters at Skate Oakville have been working really hard but because of covid restrictions, competitions and training camps have been cancelled or postponed. Along with the uncertainty of the skating season, the ice costs have temporarily increased due to restrictions with the city and limited skaters allowed on the ice at one time. Bruno Marcotte and myself, Meagan Duhamel, run the pairs program at our skating club and we wanted to find a way to keep the skaters motivated and possibly decrease their ice costs, so they can train more. On September 10th at 11:00 am EST we will be doing an online showcase on Instagram live where our skaters will perform their short programs, or simply showcase some of the new skills they’ve been working on. We are asking that in return for the skaters hard work and dedication to bring their skating to you, that you can give a small donation that will go directly towards the skaters ice costs. Thank you and you can stay up to date with our skaters on our Instagram page @Skateoakvillepairs

On 8/19/2020 at 10:43 PM, Melodie said:

Gracias, I will try that. Do you think she should bring the loop combo to competition? She must have enough confidence in it I think.

PS: I just realized that she does bring loop combos to comps, just not as two-jump jumping passes or the second jump of three-jump jumping passes.

-3lo combo? Of course not. As long as it isn't done correctly, there is nothing to be happy about.

7 hours ago, Paskud said:

-3lo combo? Of course not. As long as it isn't done correctly, there is nothing to be happy about.

Yeah, the -3Lo combo.

So, color me confused, but I have heard two opposite opinions about her -3Lo combo: One is that it is underrotated and the other is it is fully rotated :Poohgaveup: I will really need a crash course on spotting UR :Poohgaveup: 

PS: I tried and even failed even at cutting the frames. I am really, really hopeless. :headdesk: 

2 hours ago, Melodie said:

Yeah, the -3Lo combo.

So, color me confused, but I have heard two opposite opinions about her -3Lo combo: One is that it is underrotated and the other is it is fully rotated :Poohgaveup: I will really need a crash course on spotting UR :Poohgaveup: 

PS: I tried and even failed even at cutting the frames. I am really, really hopeless. :headdesk: 

Even tech panels miss a lot of UR. Honestly, Rika's combination is so fast, elegant, and confident that if she's a bit UR in competition there's a chance it will be missed, and since this season basically doesn't count for standings or qualifying scores for worlds, etc, she can use it as a season to try things out in competition with comparatively little risk (competitively speaking - let's not talk risk of injury). I hope we'll be seeing her try that 4S a lot more now. With less stakes this season perhaps nerves will be less too for a lot of skaters - I hope it means we'll see a lot of them try and achieve new things in competition and that the success of those attempts bolsters their confidence to use them successfully in the next season when (fingers crossed) competition is back to normal. 

36 minutes ago, memae said:

Even tech panels miss a lot of UR. Honestly, Rika's combination is so fast, elegant, and confident that if she's a bit UR in competition there's a chance it will be missed, and since this season basically doesn't count for standings or qualifying scores for worlds, etc, she can use it as a season to try things out in competition with comparatively little risk (competitively speaking - let's not talk risk of injury). 

I agree that her combos more often than not look nice. However, I am dreaded of the controversies that come with selective UR calls.

I am with Paskud that it is better not to bring it if it is not competition ready. She can try out other stuff and still gain a lot of +GOEs and points. 

PS: At least she hasn’t had phantom calls yet, unlike certain unfortunate skaters :dpooh:

28 minutes ago, Melodie said:

I agree that her combos more often than not look nice. However, I am dreaded of the controversies that come with selective UR calls.

I am with Paskud that it is better not to bring it if it is not competition ready. She can try out other stuff and still gain a lot of +GOEs and points. 

PS: At least she hasn’t had phantom calls yet, unlike certain unfortunate skaters :dpooh:

I hate the controversies too but we also don't know the context of this footage. That might be the first one that she UR after a few successful attempts, and maybe it was UR because she was tired after doing it perfectly a bunch of times. She get gain a lot of +GOE from other elements but she can also gain a lot from this if she does it well. I hope she does it. She wouldn't be posting an UR jump to the world if she wasn't confident in it. 

2 hours ago, memae said:

I hate the controversies too but we also don't know the context of this footage. That might be the first one that she UR after a few successful attempts, and maybe it was UR because she was tired after doing it perfectly a bunch of times. She get gain a lot of +GOE from other elements but she can also gain a lot from this if she does it well. I hope she does it. She wouldn't be posting an UR jump to the world if she wasn't confident in it. 

I don't doubt that she has confidence. The footage can be her way of saying "Hey, this is what I'm working on." 

My point remains that if she gets it very stable and fully rotated, go for it because it will be good for her points-wise. If it is more likely to be URed, may be opt for other options. Not only do we have the UR but we also have the weird "Q" thing now. It's not worth risking it if it can't be done properly

7 hours ago, memae said:

Even tech panels miss a lot of UR. Honestly, Rika's combination is so fast, elegant, and confident that if she's a bit UR in competition there's a chance it will be missed, and since this season basically doesn't count for standings or qualifying scores for worlds, etc, she can use it as a season to try things out in competition with comparatively little risk (competitively speaking - let's not talk risk of injury). I hope we'll be seeing her try that 4S a lot more now. With less stakes this season perhaps nerves will be less too for a lot of skaters - I hope it means we'll see a lot of them try and achieve new things in competition and that the success of those attempts bolsters their confidence to use them successfully in the next season when (fingers crossed) competition is back to normal. 

That's not really something that makes me happy... -____-

7 hours ago, Melodie said:

My point remains that if she gets it very stable and fully rotated, go for it because it will be good for her points-wise.

Yes. If. Does she know that it is URed tho? Because at this point I'm not sure anymore. But I hope Ghislain will.

34 minutes ago, Paskud said:

That's not really something that makes me happy... -____-

It's a sport. Strategy is a huge part of it. I'm not saying that she should be putting a jump she can't consistently land correctly into programs, but if she usually does and she knows she can do it then she should be aiming to maximise her points. We don't see what she's doing in training. 

She's an elite figure skater. Her coaches are experts. She's an expert. They know what they're doing and they know why they're doing it. They understand what they need to do to satisfy tech panels better than anyone. She could probably see a jump from the corner of her eye without looking at it directly and tell if it's rotated or not, in the same way Ian Thorpe could tell if someone swimming in the next lane had a good technique because of how the water felt as it moved.