Team Japan

Thanks for posting xeyra, that video is gold! :xD:

4 hours ago, Gio said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ice_skeota/status/863723843549937664/video/1

Wakaba at PIW in case someone is interested :59182a8d937bc_biggrin(1): 

Me, me, me, me!! *________* She looks powerful and fierce, just the way I like my Wakabby :BeatingHeart:

But also, girl, how are you 16?! She looks so mature and beautiful.

55 minutes ago, Joey said:

Thanks for posting xeyra, that video is gold! :xD:

Me, me, me, me!! *________* She looks powerful and fierce, just the way I like my Wakabby :BeatingHeart:

But also, girl, how are you 16?! She looks so mature and beautiful.

Ahaha I had guessed you'd appreciate it xD

not a fan of the program personally, but she's always a pleasure to watch :BeatingHeart: 

yes she's so gorgeous *^* 

12 hours ago, Gio said:

Ahaha I had guessed you'd appreciate it xD

not a fan of the program personally, but she's always a pleasure to watch :BeatingHeart: 

yes she's so gorgeous *^* 

Then I'm glad I did not disappoint :4chsmu1:

Not sure what to think of the program so far, to be honest... I'd rather see it as a whole before I can decide, I guess. But I love the way she skates and performs it anyway :BeatingHeart:

Edit: because that was one weird auto correct there

13 hours ago, mcq said:

Wow thanks for the info! Haha why are you apologizing, this info is awesome! I have never seen them competing internationally before so I assume they only pair up recently. But they look promising. Especially once they got 3Tw and  3Th down :D

Is Utana and Takumi the one who went to the same competition with Kana and Chris and the spanish ice dance team (only they went for novice). I remembered a japanese ID team won that event (novice one, iirc) Was that them? 

Yes, that was at Mentor Torun Cup in January. Kana and Chris (Sr. ID), Sumire and Francis (Sr. Pair), Rikako and Aru (Jr. ID), Riku and Shoya (Jr. Pair), and Utana and Takumi (Adv. Novice ID) were all sent to compete. All teams medalled, except for Rikako and Aru, after Aru had an unusual fall during their SD twizzles. Utana and Takumi (nicknamed Utakumi by Japanese fans) placed 1st in the FD (53.09) and 1st overall (79.61) out of 8 entries in their category.

Utakumi's Mentor Cup 2017 FD

Utakumi's FD from National Novice Championship (Oct. 2016)

I first took notice of them when, as Novices, they placed 2nd in the FD out of 6 teams at Junior Nationals last year.

They recently debuted their SD for next season at Kurashiki FSC's Support Appreciation Day event. (unfortunately no video so far)

https://twitter.com/kurashiki_fsc/status/860775999088152576

They'll be skating to Bla Bla Bla Cha Cha Cha and Taka Rari.

https://twitter.com/keikitosk8/status/860852247814524929

On 14.05.2017 at 11:52 PM, Joey said:

Then I'm glad I did not disappoint :4chsmu1:

Not sure what to think of the program so far, to be honest... I'd rather see it as a whole before I can decide, I guess. But I love the way she skates and performs it anyway :BeatingHeart:

I have problems with flamenco in fs, I rarely enjoy tango too. :yznotimpressed:

I really wonder which music they'll chose this season. I loved La califfa so hopefully she'll have good programs again. 

She looks so mature anyway c.c

8 hours ago, Gio said:

I have problems with flamenco in fs, I rarely enjoy tango too. :yznotimpressed:

I really wonder which music they'll chose this season. I loved La califfa so hopefully she'll have good programs again. 

She looks so mature anyway c.c

Were you born with a tango/flamenco distaste, or is it FS warhorse induced?xD

Yes, her SP was amazing - music, choreo, and performance. But I'm not sure if they're going to stick with a similar style, or go in a different direction.

She often does. Even her performance has so much maturity (although I'm personally not very hung up about the mature vs juniorish thing, but for Wakaba it's quite striking, IMO)

2 hours ago, GoldMedalist said:

Any news about Sota? :Sad:

He was at the team-building event (the one where Yuzuru was too, the first day only) for the Olympics so I'm going to guess that he's going to return fine this season. 

37 minutes ago, Joey said:

Were you born with a tango/flamenco distaste, or is it FS warhorse induced?xD

Yes, her SP was amazing - music, choreo, and performance. But I'm not sure if they're going to stick with a similar style, or go in a different direction.

She often does. Even her performance has so much maturity (although I'm personally not very hung up about the mature vs juniorish thing, but for Wakaba it's quite striking, IMO)

Lol I have no idea xD I have liked some programs in the past, but I usually think most flamenco/tango programs lack that fire/sharp movements I expect in my head? I don't think it's possible to really portray that music at its best in a way, and kind of loathe how most people go for the intense glare and think that it's enough for it to be great xD

I think they'll go with something different...maybe something less subtle and that highlights her powerful skating more. I really liked this version of Wakaba, she did look really mature, but maybe they'll want something that highlights her speed and power more, I don't know. I think La califfa was a really "quiet but powerful" kind of program, in a way, so they might go for something totally different. I use the juniorish vs senior more for programs themselves rather than interpretation. But I do think that Wakaba at her age has a more mature interpretation than some older ladies. It looked like she improved a lot this year when it came to getting into character, she really seemed to have that something more when she skated. (maybe I'm biased :embSwan:)

About flamenco, I think the actual paso doble/flamenco posture is not really suitable to be applied in FS where you feel that your hip is very lifted and high (man I am bad at explaining this, so I hope you get what I meant, basically the line from torso down not torso up/upper body), so maybe that is why many feel that something is missing (as in the skater only adopt the character from torso up + hand movement). Another one is paso doble movement is kind of in a staccato count quite many of the times, so for something that is supposed to be fluid and flowing like FS, it could take away a bit of the character unless you choreograph it smartly. 

But I actually like mura's attempt at flamenco :3