Team Japan

1 hour ago, GoldMedalist said:

Marin is the first japanese JWC since Mao, right? OFC she is being pushed, the same as Mao was, i don't get why people are complaining about Marin all the time :roll: 

No, Kanako Murakami was the 2010 JWC (and JGP Final Champ)

5 hours ago, Joey said:

I'd agree with those saying that it's very open, but I think Satoko, Marin and Mai have a bit of an advantage above Wakaba and Kaori (who a lot of people seem to forget, but she has a shot to make it too, IMO). Personally, I'm not sure if JSF will really want Satoko above Mai. Satoko got that silver at WC 2015, but Mais finish last season equals Satokos last finish in 2016 (5th). Both have won 4CC and have great consistency. But Mai, while being less polished, has the big advantage of having superior technique and no big question mark hanging constantly over her rotation. What holds her back are her simple and "juniorish" programs... but if she gets good choreo next season and manages to keep her consistency, I wouldn't be surprised if she starts outscoring Satoko fast. Of course it also depends on how Satoko will do. That she's putting so much effort into correcting her technique is very admirable and I hope she can come back completely healthy and continue to work on that. But at least to me it seems like corrections like that are very difficult and usually take time. I'm not sure next season is good timing for her. So between these two, it's a toss-up for me, but I think at least one of the 2 will make it.

Regarding Marin, yes she has the "advantage" of being the new it girl. Media has been hyping her since forever, she's marketable and charming. But her biggest problem will be that a lot will depend on the fall season, and she's more of a "messy in between but peaks at the right time" skater. Which would be enough with 3 spots or having at least one senior WC under her belt, but with the overall situation this could be her biggest problem. Wakaba on the other hand needs flat out more consistency. She is actually, in my opinion, the girl with the most potential overall. Her jumps are great, big and powerful, good technique, she's capable of 3Lz-3T and a 3A (although we yet have to see the latter in competition). Her skating skills are great, even if not the best among the japanese ladies (who have amazing SS on average!), she has great speed, lots of power, yet moves elegantly, with good attention to detail, good projection, good presence on the ice, good complexity in her programs as well.... it's all there, but she needs to get it together. Kaori is a bit of a wildcard to me. She needs to be very consistent (or bring that 3A as well....) and for some other girls to falter, but stranger things would have happened.

Hopefully they will all stay healthy and can skate their best next season. (And hopefully they get that 3rd spot back at the next WC, a little less heartbreak for the up-coming seasons then!).

Joey,  I feel like you're saying what I'm thinking! I'm on the same wavelength with nearly everything you said and have thought similar a lot. 

I keep waiting for Wakaba to have her explosive moment in her senior debut, and I think she may have at WTT (I'm actually surprised they scored Mai higher than her in the free, but maybe part of that was due to consistency and the fact that she skated after her). Her inconsistencies have been her biggest issue and I think she was underscored in her SP at worlds, but to me she has the most potential technically and also to grow in PCS. 

Mai with her consistency, jumps, and skating skills, with more mature programs I could potentially surpass Satoko even though Satoko is more refined and elegant. I think her technical ability can make up get the gap in PCS if she can consistently deliver her content and has better programs this coming season. I think she's the one that has impressed me most watching her live. 

When I first saw Marin skate I actually thought she was the one with the ability to do the intricate and amazing step sequences that someone like Mao is known for. Her jumps have good flow in and out but there's something a bit awkward about them at times (maybe it's her picking). I also hope she gets more mature programs, and maybe something a bit more fiery. Her programs so far have been very sweet  and play to her beauty, but they're not really my cup of tea. 

As as much as I like Satoko's skating I've always felt her world silver in Shanghai was a bit of a fluke and I didn't expect her to ever win another world medal. I did think she had a good shot at getting another world medal this year but she's lost momentum with her injury. I don't think her spot is as secure as it was before. 

I do wonder if they might choose to send different set of ladies to worlds vs the Olympics. They will want to get those 3 spots back for sure when worlds is in Japan in 2019. 

4 hours ago, ShiroKJ said:

No, Kanako Murakami was the 2010 JWC (and JGP Final Champ)

Well at first Kanako was really hyped too. So no surprise ;))

I think Satoko isn't a lock anymore. Mai has the advantage of her technique, and I agree with Joey, she might outscore her with better programs. Wakaba needs consistency outside Japan. At home competitions she always did well: look at nationals, she did pretty great Every year. With 3 spots it'd be enough, now it isn't. So unfair. 

I think Marin is messy yes, but this year she suffered a lot from the stress the media put on her, next year she won't have much to loose. And she really isn't any less consistent than Wakaba tbh. Imo. 

Guest turquoiseblue

Seems like there was an event Haruka Imai and Daisuke Isozaki participated in yesterday. I miss her! 

Guest turquoiseblue
37 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

But, what about her? She's r****d already?

There has been no news yet as far as I know :Sad:

Guest turquoiseblue

Here is a new article about Moa Iwano:

Iwano confirms quad salchow for free skate next season by Jack Gallagher, 23 May 2017

Excerpts:

Moa Iwano, a 13-year-old from Kobe, who finished second in the Japan Advanced Novice Championships last season, confirmed her plan for a date with destiny recently in an exclusive conversation with Ice Time.

Iwano told me that she will be including a quadruple salchow in her free skate during the coming season when she debuts in the junior ranks.

“I will be using the quad salchow in my free skate this season,” Iwano stated. “I have been landing it regularly in practice and have confidence to do it in competition.”

Iwano, who is 160 cm and weighs 43 kg, said the quad salchow will be a stand-alone jump and not done in combination with another.

When Ice Time interviewed Iwano in Sapporo last November following the All-Japan Junior Championships, she made it clear she was setting the bar high.

“I am working on a quadruple salchow and triple axel at practice almost every day now,” stated Iwano. “I will try them next season in my programs.”

Iwano’s free skate for the coming season will be choreographed by two-time Olympian Akiko Suzuki, who set up the youngster’s short program last season to “The Little Prince.”

Moa and her mother reiterated that the young star will likely relocate overseas to work with a foreign coach following the 2017-18 season.

2 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Here is a new article about Moa Iwano:

Iwano confirms quad salchow for free skate next season by Jack Gallagher, 23 May 2017

Excerpts:

I've seen speculation somewhere (twitter) that she might be going to TCC? Don't know if it is just wishful thinking or if there's hints of it. She does seem to like Javi's quads a lot and the last time a Japanese someone enjoyed Javi's quads we know what happened. :laughing:

Guest turquoiseblue
8 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I've seen speculation somewhere (twitter) that she might be going to TCC? Don't know if it is just wishful thinking or if there's hints of it. She does seem to like Javi's quads a lot and the last time a Japanese someone enjoyed Javi's quads we know what happened. :laughing:

Brian was mentioned in this article :smile:

Face of the future: Iwano setting big goals by Jack Gallagher, 20 December 2016

Iwano and her family are already thinking about the possibility of her going overseas some day to work with a foreign coach. Orser was mentioned as a possibility down the line.

“In the near future she might like to go to Canada or the U.S. to train,” said Tomomi Iwano. “Maybe when she turns 14 or 15.”

“It’s a good thing that Japanese skaters go overseas to train,” Moa Iwano said, displaying a maturity far beyond her years.

Already speaking two languages fluently, Moa is considering studying English, which will be useful if she does relocate to Canada or the United States.

4 hours ago, Hannah said:

Quad era :smiley-scared005: 

Can anyone post links to her novice competition videos this year? 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BI6OzBbyo9g same channel there's the FS too. :)

i actually see Moa as the least likely to land a 4S, she has problems with URs. 

If someone is interested, apparently Rika Kihira landed 4S in training, multiple times. My bb:smiley-love017: