Team Japan

It's just so heartbreaking the ladies only have two spots for the Olympics. So many good ladies will stay behind...

and US has 3. urgh I'm sorry but my salty ass just doesn't sit right with this :hachimaki:

Ugh, don't even get me started... and that because the TP decided to sleep during the US ladies programs, because the carrots missing for these alone would have dropped them majorly.

Canada having more spots then Japan is also a shame, but they definitely deserve it with how awesome Kaet & Gabby were (and I like Alaine, but I'm not sure she deserves to go to Olys more than the Japanese ladies who won't make it)

and US has 3. urgh I'm sorry but my salty ass just doesn't sit right with this :hachimaki:

Ugh, don't even get me started... and that because the TP decided to sleep during the US ladies programs, because the carrots missing for these alone would have dropped them majorly.

Canada having more spots then Japan is also a shame, but they definitely deserve it with how awesome Kaet & Gabby were (and I like Alaine, but I'm not sure she deserves to go to Olys more than the Japanese ladies who won't make it)

Ironically this incident is what opened JSP's eyes to Satoko's amazing consistence and reliability that they took for granted for years. She's another tough cookie I have deep respect for. It's not easy continuing to try your best when your efforts are not deservedly recognised *sigh*

Ironically this incident is what opened JSP's eyes to Satoko's amazing consistence and reliability that they took for granted for years. She's another tough cookie I have deep respect for. It's not easy continuing to try your best when your efforts are not deservedly recognised *sigh*

Agreed. I just hope she can maintain that consistency to make a case for herself next season. I do think Wakaba's WTT skate would have secured 3 spots if she did that at worlds though. Considering Marin's marketability, I could see her getting one of the slots over others if she is performing close enough to the rest.

For me it's "a lot better" on TV than live. I've seen Shoma in three different competitions live so far (GPF15 and 16, WC17) and in all of them I've been quite... I wouldn't say underwhelmed, but for sure not overly impressed by his skating.

He has a great quality: to bring it to actual competition, even when his practices are a mess, but skating wise he left me quite untouched.

I think that TV/stream feeds usually use a lot of "close-up" that may give Shoma a hand into stressing out some of his best traits (good projection skills, good - albeit quite "rigid" - upper body lines -, a lot of "deep stare" that many mistook for deep interpretation) and into hiding some of his weaker traits (not much multidirectional skating, a lot of cross-over, average ice coverage, little movements with his legs, little "whole body" movements), but live (or with fancams that do not close up on the skater) you notice that a lot more (if you haven't watched them yet, there are a lot of good fancams from 4CC. They are quite... revealing).

I usually watch fancams too see skater's ice coverage, jump and speed. And yes, this year 4CC had alot of fancams with great quality. I think I watched almost all of them lol. For me, both Shoma and Nathan look better in TV recording, and their music help them a bit. Shoma has good SS and posture, his upper body movements are great but the range is limited. I like him when he's still junior, his interpretation and movement had more freedom IMO. Nowadays, he focuses too much on quads, his programs are emptier and his performance suffer a bit. Yuzu looks better in fancam, and I have no doubt that he's much more impressive in live.Patrick always looks great. I'm surprise that Javi look quite slow in fancam. As for the ladies, Osmond really change my opinion when I watch her fancam at worlds. I hope to watch them live in competition one day to know if my impressions are true :grin:

As for Japanese ladies, everytime I think about olympic team, its just remind me how they robbed Wakaba so hard in the SP at worlds :rant:

Javi was really disappoiting live for me. Slow...and you notice much more how he uses his upper body movements to hide the fact that his legs are quite...still.

Satoko looks better live. But I have to say that imho the other ladies have much more potential to improve than she does. Her jumps are a huge limit...which is a shame, she's a lovely skater :/

Javi was really disappoiting live for me. Slow...and you notice much more how he uses his upper body movements to hide the fact that his legs are quite...still.

Satoko looks better live. But I have to say that imho the other ladies have much more potential to improve than she does. Her jumps are a huge limit...which is a shame, she's a lovely skater :/

His programmes all camouflage this issue so well! His charisma and charm expressed through his arms and facial expressions always steal the attention away from his rigid legs :roll: Judges also seem to be under this spell, apparently :nono:

New PJ Kwong Podcast with Takeshi Honda : http://www.openkwongdore.com/2017/05/08 ... shi-honda/

Thank you for sharing. It was very interesting. :thumbup: I love PJ’s interview because she is always warm and good at bring out interesting answers from interviewees. I wanted to hear more about his 4A attempt though…

Guest turquoiseblue

Marien de la Asuncion posted a message on FB:

https://www.facebook.com/marien.delaasu ... 5185710051

After years of competition, a new chapter starts in our lives. We have decided with Emi to stop this beautiful story that last six years.

Together we have participated in many great internationale competitions and met the greatest skaters and coaches in the world.

I owe this experience to Japan.

I proudly represented this country that become like a second home to me.

I have been welcomed by the athletes of this amazing team, by the federation and of course by a fantastic audience who knows how to make each competition an exceptional moment.

I don’t forget either my french years, full of memories and experience.

I also have a thought for my coaches. They could lead us in the important moments.

Muriel Zazoui, Olivier Schoenfelder, Diana Ribas et Rie Arikawa, Jerome Simian thank you of your unconditional support.

It is now time for us to reflect on our future plans, and there are many !

See you very soon my friends