1 minute ago, shanshani said:

Yikes. Somehow the judges still manage to surprise me with the ridiculousness of their scoring. 

My immediate reaction the moment I saw that live was wondering how long it would take her to travel from Stockholm to Russia with that spin.

That first sit position is questionable, and I can't even tell whether the second is supposed to be a sit position or not because it sort of looks like one but is also not even close to meeting guidelines for sit positions. If it's a non-basic position, it would be strange for him to do it after a jump because the jump only counts as a level feature if he gets into a basic position afterward. 
7 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

My immediate reaction the moment I saw that live was wondering how long it would take her to travel from Stockholm to Russia with that spin.

saw someone comment that she got extra GOE for her ice coverage :laughing:

16 hours ago, shanshani said:

Yikes. Somehow the judges still manage to surprise me with the ridiculousness of their scoring. 

She had the same problem with that spin at Russian Nationals iirc.

I had a slight light of hope she would fix it for Worlds :animated-smileys-cheeky-041:

did we ever figure out why Yuzu's spin was invalidated at JNats?

if it's because he didn't hold a sit position for 6 revolutions after the change of foot (he did get 6+ revolutions in total, but if you don't count the revolutions where he rose to reposition his free leg then it comes out to less than 6), then I think Nathan's SP sit spin should have been invalidated at worlds. he very visibly didn't get low enough on his first sit variation after the change of foot for it to count as a sit spin, and then when he switched variation he only held it for like 2-3 revolutions

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

did we ever figure out why Yuzu's spin was invalidated at JNats?

if it's because he didn't hold a sit position for 6 revolutions after the change of foot (he did get 6+ revolutions in total, but if you don't count the revolutions where he rose to reposition his free leg then it comes out to less than 6), then I think Nathan's SP sit spin should have been invalidated at worlds. he very visibly didn't get low enough on his first sit variation after the change of foot for it to count as a sit spin, and then when he switched variation he only held it for like 2-3 revolutions

JSF’s explanation was he didn’t hold either sit variation for two revolutions after change of foot.

13 minutes ago, JanMary said:

JSF’s explanation was he didn’t hold either sit variation for two revolutions after change of foot.

Yet he had done 2¾ revolutions in this position, which should have given him a level 3, not an invalidation.

@shanshani

About Nathan Chen's spin problem, it seems to be a recurrent one with him, probably because his lowest possible position seems to be just the limit of a valid spin, so it may be harder to hit it, or more risky for his balance, and he doesn't always succeeds. The fact that it is a recurrent problem, worth several points, very visible, and it has never been called (as far as I know), is something which should strike people, when at the same time Yuzuru Hanyu gets imaginary calls where he is not used to fault.

5 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Yet he had done 2¾ revolutions in this position, which should have given him a level 3, not an invalidation.

@shanshani

About Nathan Chen's spin problem, it seems to be a recurrent one with him, probably because his lowest possible position seems to be just the limit of a valid spin, so it may be harder to hit it, or more risky for his balance, and he doesn't always succeeds. The fact that it is a recurrent problem, worth several points, very visible, and it has never been called (as far as I know), is something which should strike people, when at the same time Yuzuru Hanyu gets imaginary calls where he is not used to fault.

You know there is a set of rule for Yuzu, one set of rule for Chen and another set for the rest of the field.

26 minutes ago, JanMary said:

He definitely held it for two revolutions. He didn't hit 3, however, which is what the technical manual says is required. I don't necessarily think invalidating the sit spin is wrong on its own--except no one else's sit spins are held to this standard at the senior elite level. Honestly, they probably should be. 

OT: omg people on reddit are so annoying. asked some clarification questions about the SP spin rules, got something that a) didn't answer my question b) assumed I knew nothing about spins, which is just ridiculous if you read what I wrote. I can identify an illusion entry and sit spin variations, thanks, that was not my question.

In reality, the person doesn't sound like they know anything more than I do about the questions I had

13 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

@shanshani

Yeah, like if you're not going to count the part where Yuzu rises out of his sit sideways position and switches to sit behind as part of his rotations for the purpose of fulfilling the SP spin requirements, fine, because he technically is not in sit position, but then no one should be counting Nathan's not-parallel-to-the-ice "sits" as such.