25 minutes ago, Valkyria said:

Now seriously: I get why they're praising Nathan to the heavens propaganda machine revving up for Olys, ejem and I give him his choices stand out in a sea of recycled and warhorse programs. I even like the music and think they both have a bigger potential than last season's, but rough as they are it's only downhill from here in terms of transitions and quality of performing. We're talking about a 6-7 quad FP, there's no way of delivering that without taking almost everything else out, so... there goes his broadening artistic expression :facepalm:

They're very smart and have already started the PR for Nathan's artistry. I have no doubt looking at his Ex numbers and junior programs that he is capable of it. However, with the amount of quads he's putting in there is no way for him to showcase that. This is where all the balletic or 'return to ballet' narrative they've been publishing comes in. Even his FS is about a ballet dancer. All in all, I gotta give them props though for having a smart and effective PR campaign that supports their skater... Meanwhile, Japanese media is just.... ugh....

7 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

All in all, I gotta give them props though for having a smart and effective PR campaign that supports their skater... Meanwhile, Japanese media is just.... ugh....

yeah the drama... that's why I like the headline of this article :tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw: Why japanese media can't make the same for Shoma and Yuzu...

36 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Look at those vicious rivals, at each other's throats with all that hatred in their eyes. :7938863:

Which makes one wonder if the US pr machine is actually after Shoma...he is the main rival of Nathan both this cycle and the next.

5 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Sochi looks a little bit like this? xD

occhio-di-bue-al-cioccolato.jpg

Omg sorry, today all I'm posting about is food

They remind me of Hungarian gingerbread crossed with stained-glass cookies but that seemed a bit complicated and I don't think such a hybrid exists (though it really should) and it made me hungry and then I started looking at gingerbread houses and it just snowballed from there. 

On topic skateskateskateyskate!

22 minutes ago, Xen said:

Which makes one wonder if the US pr machine is actually after Shoma...he is the main rival of Nathan both this cycle and the next.

I'm not sure about that. Unsurprisingly, Shoma has his artistry going for him which Nathan needs to work on. "Artistry" is so subjective, and yet I've seen past and even presently more digs at Hanyu for not being "balletic" like Nathan or artistic enough like Shoma and thus for some reason that suddenly makes him a less complete skater than the youngsters. Idgi tbh but what I do get is that at the start of the new season Hanyu is still the 4x GPF champion and reigning World and Olympic Champion so I don't think this season will go easy on him at all, even if someone manages to one-up him in a few competitions.

I think what going through old threads prior to and post Sochi has helped me to understand is that while I do feel that there's a double standard when it comes to a reigning champion and favorite, there's extra pressure and media criticism all around, it's not special to Hanyu only but also Patrick and the men and women before them. So everyone survived after that, and hopefully I will to. The journey for zen continues.

4 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

They remind me of Hungarian gingerbread crossed with stained-glass cookies but that seemed a bit complicated and I don't think such a hybrid exists (though it really should) and it made me hungry and then I started looking at gingerbread houses and it just snowballed from there. 

On topic skateskateskateyskate!

It's chocolate italian shortbread with marmelade in between two cookies. Come to the foodie thread dark side, we have cookies.

To talk about skate: thinking about how the reaction to Lombardy trophy and USI must have been at TCC, I am highly convinced that Yuzuru was super happy to see Shoma in excellent condition right from the start, and that motivated him even more to try and go clean with five quads. True that everyone around Yuzu probably keeps telling him to stay chill and calm. I wonder if he's now able to return to that 'calm' state before Hope and Legacy, that magical spot... 

Would anyone be interested in an updated layout/BV table after the Challenger Series are done in preparation for the GP series, or considering half of these guys might change everything in between competitions, it's a moot point?

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Would anyone be interested in an updated layout/BV table after the Challenger Series are done in preparation for the GP series, or considering half of these guys might change everything in between competitions, it's a moot point?

sure, shoma's might be final, and nate we can guess. 

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

sure, shoma's might be final, and nate we can guess. 

Nah, Shoma is likely going to add the 4Lz at some point, since he mentioned it in his post-FS interview. So I believe he may well try to go for a 6-quad FS by the end. We can use Nathan's speculative 7-quad layout from the skeleton of what he did at US Classic, but I'm also keeping the 6-quad layout possibility open. Though Nathan will probably YOLO his way across the season. :laughing: