General Yuzuru Chat

45 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

When we're all cyborgs with bionic eyes and computer brains, I'll probably just load this compilation and zone out forever. 

I will load a bunch of hydroblade videos, all the swans, ACI chopin, lgc and all his 3A. Then I'll ask to be fed with a tube and I'm all set :)

1 時間前, orgさんが言いました:

No, that's wrong translation.

Don't ruin him is better.

ダメにする(dame ni suru) means 'destroy, ruin, collapse,'.. such a like.

To fail to raise.

I don't know the proper word, sorry.

But “Don't reject me” is completely different meaning.

I don't feel that she was worried about sparta.  I guess she knew Tsuzuki and trusted him. Probably she just told him emphatically, because Yuzuru had amazing talent/potential.

Your understanding is correct.

The original Japanese is;

小学2年生の終わりまで教えた後、山田は実家の北海道へと引っ越した。その際、名コーチの都築章一郎に電話をかけた。「先生、お願いだから仙台に来て。ぜったいダメにしないでね。すごい子だから」

After taught him till the end of his second grade of elementary school, Yamada moved to her home town in Hokkaido.  At that time, she phoned Shoichiro Tsuzuki, a highly regarded coach, saying, "Please come to Sendai, Sensei (Mr. Tsuzuki).  Please never ruin/spoil him (destroy/suppress his talent).  He is an amazing kid."

Lol. So glad I'm not the only one not entirely sure of what he meant back there. 

18 時間前, xeyraさんが言いました:

Actually, I've always thought he meant he needed 10 more points to break his own total score record, being the perfectionist he is. I never thought he was talking about the SP lead Javi had. 

14 時間前, Aotoshiroさんが言いました:

I actually always thought he remids himself he needs 10 points more for the overall score WR, since Tracy's lips seems to mouth 'world record' (or 'free score' -I'm not so sure anymore) few seconds earlier. It would actually seem logical, since 10 points do not mean breaking the SP WR(had he been given them there), but it WOULD push the score over 330, which was his highest total, breaking for which I'm sure he's constantly aiming (or actually, for the perfection that would break it as a fringe benefit, no sweat:facepalm:).

11 時間前, ruruzestさんが言いました:

That was my first thought hearing him saying “ but ..but I need 10 more points right ?” Roughly it needs 10 more points to break his old record ,that was a quick comment from him . I don’t think he ever complains that judges should give him more points , his thoughts only pertain to his own things , on him , not on others 

I somehow never thought of this and now that you all have mentioned it, it does sound very plausible. I think I'm just gonna go with this. Case closed. For me, that is. 

While we're at it, mind if I picked your brains about what he said first thing after he sat down in the same k&c session? He said, "Finally I worked hard" (really slowly too, like he was struggling with every word) and I kinda just thought he meant to say his hard work has finally paid off but seeing all the different interpretations of the 10 points he implied he didn't manage to get made me think he could possibly mean something else altogether.

33 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

While we're at it, mind if I picked your brains about what he said first thing after he sat down in the same k&c session? He said, "Finally I worked hard" (really slowly too, like he was struggling with every word) and I kinda just thought he meant to say his hard work has finally paid off but seeing all the different interpretations of the 10 points he implied he didn't manage to get made me think he could possibly mean something else altogether.

Nah, pretty sure he basically means he trained hard enough so he showed results. I think he only believes he has trained enough when he goes clean (or clean enough) in a program; everything else means he needs to work harder. Heck, even when he has a WR, he still needs to work harder because of those annoying level 3 steps! 

I tend to see more people confused at his 'I didn't think I had enough energy' comment, to which Brian and Tracy laughed and said 'well, you did', but I think that harkens back to a comment he seemed to have made in the press after the FS about wanting to do 5 quads. I like to assume he meant he didn't find energy for that 5th quad but it could also mean he was just selling himself short energy-wise. 

1 hour ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I am pretty sure that this was answered on an interview (i don't remember if it was in japanese but i'm pretty sure it was), he said that he finally felt/realized that he has been working hard (lol kid then what were you doing before) to the point he could declare it himself, so in this case i think he simply missed some words, probably what he wanted to say was "Finally i can say i worked hard".

21 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

The last thing we heard him say to Brian and Tracy before the focus switched was, "But I have to get more ten points, right?" To this day, I'm still not sure if he meant he could still get another 10 points beyond the scores he got that day (like does he seriously think he could do that much better than he did to think that he fell short of perfection by 10 whole points?), or if he meant that he thought he would've gotten 10 points higher than what he did. Lol. I'm leaning more towards the former but the latter doesn't seem impossible either, given the circumstances behind that score.

This has me thinking.  We know that Yuzu is always after a challenge and that he's quite ferocious in pursuing those he's set for himself.  Here he seems to be thinking about going beyond the skate he'd just had, a skate which had set a new world record for the FS.  So what might be lying at the back of his mind?  We know about his ideal of the 'absolute champion'.  So what comprises that ideal?  What comprises 'perfection' in Yuzu's thought?  We can look first at the TES.  Perfection there would be making every element and getting maximum GOE on every one of them.  Then PCS.  The mathematical definition of perfection for the PCS would be fifty points in the short and one hundred points in the free skate.  He has scored well into the forties on his short programs and well up in the nineties for his free skates.  He knows that both goals might be actually feasible for him (a feasibility that is essentially unreachable by all present competitors with the possible exception of Patrick Chan, but he is weak on his TES, at least as far as his base values are concerned).  So a perfect competition for Yuzu would be scoring maximum GOEs on a program that in base value is higher than any of the other participants and then having a maximum PCS of fifty and one hundred for his two skates there.  If he were ever to achieve that I think he would in fact become the 'absolute champion' he envisions.  I doubt that he actually expects to achieve that but I would not be surprised if something like what I've just been describing here might not lurk in Yuzu's mind as the ultimate skate for the absolute champion.  Earlier in this thread there was discussion of Yuzu's chronic dissatisfaction with what he does, if it can be described as such, and I made the comment that on the day Yuzu is satisfied Yuzu would announce his retirement.  That of course was an exaggeration on my part but I think it highlights something that he has and that actually I think all truly successful athletes must have, and that is that their expectations of what they want to achieve are always higher than the expectations of their coaches and managers.  Their coaches, in fact, probably have the dubious task of helping them deal with failing those self-expectations as one of their main tasks.  All in all those ten points Yuzu talks about, whichever of the two interpretations we make, those ten points are actually symbolic of Yuzu's intense ambition and desire to outskate not only his competitors but also himself.  I think one of the things that really sets Yuzu apart from the other male skaters is that when taking the ice the person he's skating against is himself.  He might set short-term goals as equaling other skaters in terms of the jumps in his repertoire and such, but the burning image for him is whatever ideal skater he sees himself as.  Like Johnny Weir once said - He's skating against himself.  What's harder than that?  

1 minute ago, micaelis said:

What comprises 'perfection' in Yuzu's thought?

I am not sure if the perfection he seeks is in the score itself. He has an idea of what an "ideal skate" is, and when he finally attains it, the score will be there to show it (Helsinki FS?)

"Score is score, my performance is my performance"

I don't know if he wants to get the max score, because i doubt the judges would give it to him unless it's absolute perfection (he is human, and even when he gives his most amazing performance, i bet there will be one or two judges who would feel that it doesn't deserve the max score), so he will be satisfied when he obtains that ideal skate.

The question is, what is his ideal skate? From ¯\_(ツ)_/¯'s post, it seems that his ideal isn't just to skate perfectly one of his programs. His FS in Helsinki was beautiful (i am sorry that i don't have a more accurate word to describe it) and he felt he worked hard. But of course, the kuyashii of that 5th place in the SP was lingering on his head, thus i don't think he could classify Worlds 2017 as his ideal, because he was still lacking something in the SP.

The FS might have been very close to what he wants to ultimately present on the ice, although i'm sure he will still think that there were things that he could have done better, but the SP affected so much that he said he started to lose confidence in it, so of course the thought of "i worked hard but i must work even harder" must have crossed his mind.

(That's why i was so glad that he broke his old WR with Chopin at the beginning of this cursed season)