General Yuzuru Chat

Sorry :offtopic: but, I thought this was interesting.

Reddit explains about the difficulty of translating the Japanese concept "kuyashii" with Shinji Kagawa's tweet :laughing:

https://twitter.com/S_Kagawa0317/status/946011196796182528

https://np.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/7mf5k9/kagawa_makes_a_child_cryby_nutmegging_him/drtj138/

They explain it's like.... frustrating/regretful/bitter/painful/hurt/Fxxxxxxxxxck!!!!!  :rofl:

It's always difficult to explain Yuzuru's "kuyashi"ness :P 

36 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

Oh wow, i think that's a bit sad but if he's happy with working like that to achieve his goals then... I guess it's ok...

I dunno if I'd use the word "happy" to describe it but I don't imagine he's too torn up about it at the moment either. There's a system in place and rules that need to be followed (the Japanese are quite the sticklers for them) and I'm thinking Hanyu probably doesnt want to rock that boat simply based on his whims. 

42 分, MrPuddingさんが言いました:

"Please don't ruin him." <-- I don't get this. Like, why would she say that? Is she asking for him to not break the kid with overly Spartan methods?

14 分, SuzyQさんが言いました:

Reddit explains about the difficulty of translating the Japanese concept "kuyashii" with Shinji Kagawa's tweet :laughing:

https://np.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/7mf5k9/kagawa_makes_a_child_cryby_nutmegging_him/drtj138/

They explain it's like.... frustrating/regretful/bitter/painful/hurt/Fxxxxxxxxxck!!!!!  :rofl:

"Fxxxxxxxxxck!!!!!" sounds accurate. xD

12 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

We could go by his translation, "regret" haha. That's the word he uses when he's interviewed in english :P

That actually sounds to me like he did a google translate. >_< I'm willing to bet that for the Inner Yuzu, it's nearer to something that almost sounds like he's yelling for a fork.

3 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

We could go by his translation, "regret" haha. That's the word he uses when he's interviewed in english :P

Yes, "regret" plus some emotion of "I'll revenge next time!!" for Yuzuru's case :laughing:

So, I feel something missing every time I hear the word "regret".

7 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I dunno if I'd use the word "happy" to describe it but I don't imagine he's too torn up about it at the moment either. There's a system in place and rules that need to be followed (the Japanese are quite the sticklers for them) and I'm thinking Hanyu probably doesnt want to rock that boat simply based on his whims. 

Uh, ok the word i'd use then is "satisfied". You might find i use a lot of words liberally, sorry

5 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Yes, "regret" plus some emotion of "I'll revenge next time!!" for Yuzuru's case :laughing:

Yeah, i feel it's not quite accurate but if that's the word he chooses to translate his kuyashii then i go by that. Though i think it's more like frustration, but hey, he's the one who knows what he's feeling :P

22 分, SuzyQさんが言いました:

15 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

Uh, ok the word i'd use then is "satisfied". You might find i use a lot of words liberally, sorry

Yeah, i feel it's not quite accurate but if that's the word he chooses to translate his kuyashii then i go by that. Though i think it's more like frustration, but hey, he's the one who knows what he's feeling :P

Hmm, somehow, I feel if his grasp in the English language were better, "regret" wouldn't be his first choice in terms of word use. It's not a word English speakers use lightly and you don't hear a lot of English-speaking athletes dropping it frequently. You hear a lot of them saying they're disappointed or they could've done better, and I think those are more along the lines of what he's trying to express. Those would be the words I'd use if I were translating his words anyway.

Sorry if I seem a bit hung up on semantics. It's within my area of interest and profession and I usually try to be as precise as I can be when it comes to this. ^^;

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

Huh. I find it a bit sad thst Yuzu's massive "scope", as Misha calls it, prevents him from doing what he wants, that it's difficult to break out of the machine that keeps his career in motion. Oh well, some sacrifices have to be made, I guess. I hope we will be able to see the collaboration though.

I find it way more than just a "bit" sad. Very depressing to read that, although not totally unexpected. I've often thought that there might be a lot of teeth clenching behind Yuzu's lovely smile. So many expectations and so much pressure to behave perfectly at all times.

But in his rare unguarded moments, I do think you can see the weight of all that on his face.

1 minute ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Hmm, somehow, I feel if his grasp in the English language were better, "regret" wouldn't be his first choice. It's not a word English speakers use lightly and you don't hear a lot of English-speaking athletes dropping it frequently. You hear a lot of them saying they're disappointed or they could've be done better, and I think that's more along the line with what he's trying to express. Those would be the words I'd use if I were translating his words anyway.

Sorry if I seem a bit hung up on semantics. It's within my area of interest and profession and I usually try to be as precise as I can be when it comes to this. ^^;

I think i've heard him use trhe word disappointment before, and also frustration, but for some reason he uses regret when expressing "kuyashii"

Might be that the looked it up on the dictionary and maybe the first definition was "regret" :P

1 minute ago, GreatLakesGal said:

So many expectations and so much pressure to behave perfectly at all times.

I agree with the expectations part but i am not sure about him being forced to comply with the second part. The carefully crafted image thing seems more idol-like to me, and he has said many times he's not an idol but an athlete.

43 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

:offtopic:

Omg Kagawa is such a troll. That poor kid. :smiley-laughing021:If the kid was a fan originally, then I think he just lost a fan.

But this just makes me remember Yuzu and his one day skating class in Aug and I miss him even more.

Can't believe FIFA WC is already next year. Coupled with the Winter Olys, 2018 is ready to kill me. :drama:

48 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

I think i've heard him use trhe word disappointment before, and also frustration, but for some reason he uses regret when expressing "kuyashii"

Might be that the looked it up on the dictionary and maybe the first definition was "regret" :P

Based on the way he speaks, I gather he does Japanese to English translation in his head so when he uses "disappointment", in his head it would probably be "gakkari". But "disappointment" has a wider nuance than just that which enables it to also be translated from "kuyashii". I'm guessing that even if he knows it intellectually, he probably isn't confident or comfortable enough with the English language to use it in a way that associates it beyond "gakkari" during interviews, where he'd likely fall back into old habits of using what he feels safest with (regardless of whether or not it's the most accurate).

I just saw the video in that tweet. Making a kid a fraction of your age and size cry...is actually pretty therapeutic. You all should try it some time. Oh, and preferably when neither of the parents are around. xD

2 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Based on the way he speaks, I gather he does Japanese to English translation in his head so when he uses "disappointment", in his head it would probably be "gakkari". But "disappointment" has a wider nuance than just that which enables it to also be translated from "kuyashii". I'm guessing that even if he knows it intellectually, he probably isn't confident or comfortable enough with the English language to use it in a way that associates it beyond "gakkari" during interviews, where he'd likely fall back into old habits of using what he feels safest with (regardless of whether or not it's the most accurate).

I think he does that a lot during interviews, but he has become a lot more fluent so i'm thinking he's starting to go beyond the japanese--> english route and starting to actually think in english what he wants to say.