Books and Literature

yuzupon

1 hour ago, GoldMedalist said:

That's a lot :confused0066: 

I'm able to read only 2-3 books a year :shame:

Lmao I know people who read 3-5 books a week so 50 books a year is actually not a lot in comparison. It's an okay number, I should say, teehee. :acceptable: 

27 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I came here to see what everyone is reading, and found people talking about reading double digit number of books a year :unsure:

I will see myself out, bye  :smiley-scared007:

If it helps, I've yet to reach 10 so far and I read 100 last year. This is what happens when I get a new obsession. 

45 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I came here to see what everyone is reading, and found people talking about reading double digit number of books a year :unsure:

I will see myself out, bye  :smiley-scared007:

I can't reach double digits since I started working (unless you count all the students papers as literature :rofl:)

But I managed to pick up The Fellowship of the Ring these last two weeks (just because of the other thread) and I hope I'll have time to finish it soon. 

Just now, Puniyo said:

I can't reach double digits since I started working (unless you count all the students papers as literature :rofl:)

But I managed to pick up The Fellowship of the Ring these last two weeks (just because of the other thread) and I hope I'll have time to finish it soon. 

If you count academic papers and textbooks I can join the club too :party0012:

I used to read 15 to 20 books a year before I started my studies three years ago, and now that number dropped to about one. I hope I will be able to get back to reading fun stuff after I finish next year.

9 minutes ago, Neenah said:

I used to read 15 to 20 books a year before I started my studies three years ago, and now that number dropped to about one. I hope I will be able to get back to reading fun stuff after I finish next year.

I totally understand you... when I was in college I basically read because of my literature classes instead of reading books that I wanted to... and after working, the number reduced even more :smiley-sad016:

On 5/18/2017 at 08:48, Neenah said:

haha do critical essays count?? If so I can probably join the club, I've read so many just on Shakespeare alone :dbana:

also speaking of Shakespeare does anyone have a favourite play of his? or are we all scarred from being forced to study his works during school? 

29 minutes ago, randomanon said:

haha do critical essays count?? If so I can probably join the club, I've read so many just on Shakespeare alone :dbana:

also speaking of Shakespeare does anyone have a favourite play of his? or are we all scarred from being forced to study his works during school? 

Can't say I have a favourite one since I was basically forced to read his plays as part of my literature lessons (currently doing julius caesar), but I've watched Romeo and Juliet and Midsummer Night's Dream live and MND really appealed to me? Because of how the interesting way the whole story unfolded ://

1 hour ago, tinyfatbirbs said:

Anyone around here got any Japanese literature to recommend? Even though I have at least 10-15 unread ones on my shelf with ridiculously little time to read 0-0

Read through the previous pages of this thread,and you will find mentions of several Japanese writers and even the names of some of their best-known books.

"Japanese Inn" by Oliver Statler is a great read if you are interested in the history of Japan. It is not well known. I became aware of it because it was required reading when I took an Asian Studies course in university.

Description

"The beguiling story of the Minaguchi-ya, an ancient inn on the Tokaido Road, founded on the eve of the establishment of the Tokugawa shogunate. Travelers and guests flow into and past the inn – warriors on the march, lovers fleeing to a new life, pilgrims on their merry expeditions, great men going to and from the capital. The story of the Minaguchi-ya is a social history of Japan through 400 years, a ringside seat to some of the most stirring events of a stirring period."

Reviews

"One of the best but most overlooked books I've ever read. The story of the Minaguchi-ya Inn, strategically located on the historic Tokaido Road, is skilfully woven into the history of pre-modern Japan, and each successive generation of innkeepers has a part to play in the battles, conspiracies, intrigue, art, politics, pilgrimages and highway robbery that unfold at its doorstep. Beautifully written, with reproductions of famous Japanese prints, this story is a walk into another world. (5 Stars)"

"This was a fascinating book on the history of Japan. It tells the history by recording the events and people that passed by an Inn on the main road between the Emperor and the Shogun. Well written and humorous, a great way to read history. It's also filled with reproductions of historic Japanese prints. (4 Stars)"

23 hours ago, Geo1 said:

"Japanese Inn" by Oliver Statler is a great read if you are interested in the history of Japan.

Thank you for this recommendation! I'd not heard of it. I love Japanese history (and movies about inns like Incident at Blood Pass and Inn of Evil) so I'll check it out when I'm feeling less lazy. :)