Books and Literature

yuzupon

Right now, i'm reading "Tell me your dreams" (Sidney Sheldon).

I like crime novels, (especially Patricia Cornwell), but i like other genres as well. Some of my favorite books are "The last concubine" (Lesley Downer), Snow flower and the secret fan (Lisa See), some novels by Victoria Holt and Ruth Rendell.

Oooh, Sidney Sheldon! The first English novel I read was "Nothing Lasts Forever" (my mom is a huge fan, and my dad had the English version of every Sheldon's novel she owns), which I've read before in translation, and that's partly how I learn English. :s_yes

I also read Perfume quite a long time ago in translation. I remember really liking it at the time but it's not one of the novels I'd say I loved. Maybe because my tastes tend to go more towards other genres. I only read it once, though. Too many books, too little time, doesn't leave me much opportunity to re-read.

Tell me about it. :cry:

Anyone here has read this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/343.Perfume

I like it a lot and I have read it again several times.

I've read it some years ago and I've liked it a lot too,I think it's a very good book.Definitely one I would want to reread at some point,but I already have so many books waiting for a first read that I don't know when my wish will come true.My main objective this year is to be successful in my reading challenge (=80 books),and I've decided not to include any previously read books in it,even if they were read many years ago.

Perfume! I liked that book quite a lot. The language was so vivid, and I found the plot to be really gripping and unique. (the end is unique for sure lol)

I like crime novels, (especially Patricia Cornwell), but i like other genres as well. Some of my favorite books are "The last concubine" (Lesley Downer), Snow flower and the secret fan (Lisa See), some novels by Victoria Holt and Ruth Rendell.

Oooh, Sidney Sheldon! The first English novel I read was "Nothing Lasts Forever" (my mom is a huge fan, and my dad had the English version of every Sheldon's novel she owns), which I've read before in translation, and that's partly how I learn English. :s_yes

:clap:

On 5/13/2017 at 15:53, meoima said:

This book is great: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/783505.Embers

I love Marai Sandor and I have read many of his books.

I've heard of this author before,but I've never read anything written by him.Looking at the synopsis of the book you linked,it seems quite interesting.Thanks for the recommendation,if i find the book translated in my language,I'll try it.I don't want to have more than 1 book from the same author in my reading challenge,so adding new valuable writers to my list is most welcomed.

On 5/13/2017 at 03:51, meoima said:

Aw, I am fine. I was in the hospital for 2 weeks for a major surgery (and because of that I am broke now lol).

I used to read a lot of books but recently I read quite less. Now I am picking up that old habit again.

Anyone here has read this book: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/343.Perfume

I like it a lot and I have read it again several times.

I've known about it for as long as I've loved reading:D
I saw the movie adaptation though.
I've spent most of my free time on Japanese animation and comics in recent years. Now I want to catch up (a bit) with reading. 

On 11/5/2017 at 03:55, wildstrawberry said:

I'm very interested in Banana Yoshimoto,but so far I couldn't find the one I most wanted ('Kitchen'),I've only seen N.P translated in my language.

Another Japanese writer worth checking is Kazuo Ishiguro,even if he's kind of hit or miss for me.But his book 'Never Let Me Go' is one of my favorite books ever.(his style is very different from Murakami jsyk).I also want to read the tetralogy 'The Sea of Fertility' by Yukio Mishima since I bought 2 of the books at a mega-sale - unfortunately it's book 2 and book 4,book 3 is sold out everywhere for some reason,I just have to buy the 1st one at full price to get me started at least.(I say this as I'm sitting here 5 books behind for my yearly reading challenge...)

Oh no I hope you'll be able to find it soon! Kitchen was the first one I read and so far the best one, I own N.P. but I haven't read it yet, it's in my pile of books lol

Every year I'll say "This year I'll finish a reading challenge" and every year I forget about it by March. I wish I could go back to when I was a kid and had nothing to do except read :sadPooh:

4 minutes ago, tournesols said:

Oh no I hope you'll be able to find it soon! Kitchen was the first one I read and so far the best one, I own N.P. but I haven't read it yet, it's in my pile of books lol

Every year I'll say "This year I'll finish a reading challenge" and every year I forget about it by March. I wish I could go back to when I was a kid and had nothing to do except read :sadPooh:

Oh,so I was right to choose 'Kitchen' as my foray into Banana Yoshimoto,it's good to confirm that.

I did a reading challenge once before,a few years ago and I managed to finish it,but it was a wee bit smaller than my current one.

And please,don't feel bad about not managing to read as much as you'd like,a lot of people are experiencing that,including me (and others in this very thread),modern life is inevitably like this sometimes.Maybe one day you'll have more time to do it,I've had many reading slumps through the years,but eventually I've managed to crawl my way back.

7 hours ago, wildstrawberry said:

Oh,so I was right to choose 'Kitchen' as my foray into Banana Yoshimoto,it's good to confirm that.

I did a reading challenge once before,a few years ago and I managed to finish it,but it was a wee bit smaller than my current one.

And please,don't feel bad about not managing to read as much as you'd like,a lot of people are experiencing that,including me (and others in this very thread),modern life is inevitably like this sometimes.Maybe one day you'll have more time to do it,I've had many reading slumps through the years,but eventually I've managed to crawl my way back.

Aww thanks for the kind words :) I think right now I just need to get better at managing my schedule, then I can make time

• yuzupon changed the title to Books and Literature
On 5/13/2017 at 03:28, GoldMedalist said:

Sidney Sheldon! Grew up reading his novels (after discovering If Tomorrow Comes through my aunt). Tell Me Your Dreams is a personal favorite of mine, along with Master of the Game.

I haven't been reading a lot these days--I used to be able to read at least 50 books a year, but last year it took me forever to even get to 10. This year the goal is to get to at least 15, but I've only read maybe 5 books and we're almost halfway to the year. :yznotimpressed:

6 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

Sidney Sheldon! Grew up reading his novels (after discovering If Tomorrow Comes through my aunt). Tell Me Your Dreams is a personal favorite of mine, along with Master of the Game.

I haven't been reading a lot these days--I used to be able to read at least 50 books a year, but last year it took me forever to even get to 10. This year the goal is to get to at least 15, but I've only read maybe 5 books and we're almost halfway to the year. :yznotimpressed:

That's a lot :confused0066: 

I'm able to read only 2-3 books a year :shame:

36 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I kind of read 100 last year... :smiley-ashamed005:

But this year I'm VERY behind and I blame Figure Skating (and mostly Yuzu) for it. 

:confused0068:wow!

Even in my most relaxed year, I could barely get to 20. Kudos to you!

After I started working, if I could finish 5, I feel accomplished already. Although, I remember reading the original trilogy of Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson in 3 days because we were trapped in a thunderstorm, and my brothers were being super annoying at the time.