General Yuzuru Chat

21 minutes ago, shina07 said:

How is everyone coping? I think I’m going to feel alright once we hear of his plans but Yuzu is unpredictable and patience is a virtue in Planet Hanyu. He has plenty of media appearances tonight and my tears may not be over yet. 

Seeing Nobu made me cry again

Finally up this bittersweet morning and I have to say, despite how sad I am that I won't see Yuzu in competition anymore, my overriding feeling is that I am so happy for Yuzu. Really, truly. I'm so happy he is walking away from competition now that the ISU has destroyed it by ripping out the artistry. I think that the rule change was the nail in the coffin for Yuzu making his decision because it is obvious he cares so much about the artistry of figure skating - that it is part of his skating - now competitive skating no longer share his values. The skating he did at FAOI was so much better than any of the skating we'll see in this upcoming season (not that I plan to watch)

But really, with him walking away quite suddenly I wonder if the ISU and JSF had any idea of this or were completely blindsided (I hope they were!) It's going to be a very difficult year ahead for competitive skating and it will show just how important Yuzu was for it because I doubt any venue is going to sell out (except maybe the NHK trophy and Japanese nationals because there are still dedicated fans of other skaters). I see a lot of skaters leaving pretty short, generic messages for Yuzu, but I think the sport is really in trouble without him.

Anyway, I'm so excited for Yuzu's future! He can make his own ice shows, can actually have a personal life (no more training alone in the middle of the night), and pursue anything he wants. His impact on the sport and on those who followed him is immeasurable. I'm so happy I found him and, as many have already said, I wish I found him sooner! (I've been a fan since Worlds 2017)

10 minutes ago, Xiupia said:

Not exactly “coping”, but I’m feeling better than I expected. Relief most of all. 
Only started to feel the tearful emotions after seeing some musicians posting their tributes. The way Yuzu has impacted people beyond the fs world is truly outstanding and speaks volumes about his legacy, is above the sport (in his country for sure). 

Like some others have said here, and whoever was lurking in other threads saw me, this is a conclusion I was expecting in a way. Doesn’t make the closing of this chapter less bittersweet, but I do feel like I’m in a position where I can feel more excitement than sorrow. 

I also really enjoyed what he said. We have still tons of interviews to watch and catch up, but he has been quite consistent in being himself, separating himself and his craft for the mess fs was becoming, and now we have an idea that the whole thing truly made a difference in his decision. 

Still angry at some media outlets. 

But overall just basking in the realization that I’m truly going to continue following him wherever. There’s no doubt in my mind anymore, while before I was just making a promise. 

Thanks for sharing. Overall, I still feel sad and would randomly burst into tears when I see tribute videos on my TL but I think the happiness trumps the sadness in a way. This is the best decision he could make given that FS is no longer the way it used to be. (Side note: my non Fanyu longtime FS friends have all decided they’re done with it after ISU’s rule change this year. I don’t think I would be happy seeing Yuzu disappointed and unrewarded with every competition he joins this season if he decided to continue.

Part of the sadness that I feel is overthinking that we may see less of him this time since ice shows don’t often happen but I’m sure with Yuzu it’s always worth the wait. I was initially excited for the assignments because of him but it fizzled out and honestly, with Yuzu out I think I’m done with the sport. I know I’m still going to cry and it could last for some days lol but I am feeling more hopeful. 

Bloody hell - he’s made the bbc sports page - usually only cover Olympic and scandals.

Yuzuru Hanyu: Japanese figure skater announces retirement

Last updated on 33 minutes ago33 minutes ago.From the section Winter Sports

Yuzuru Hanyu Yuzuru Hanyu became the first male figure skater in 66 years to win back-to-back Olympic singles titles

Japan's Yuzuru Hanyu - considered to be one of the greatest male figure skaters of all time - has announced his retirement.

Hanyu, 27, became the first man in 66 years to win back-to-back singles titles at the Olympics - at Sochi in 2014 and Pyeongchang in 2018.

Struggling with injuries, he missed out on making it three in a row in Beijing, finishing fourth at the 2022 Games.

"I'll no longer be compared with other skaters as a competitor," said Hanyu.

The skater, known as the "Ice Prince", is determined to carry on in his quest to land the quadruple axel in front of an audience, though.

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
3 minutes ago, shina07 said:

Part of the sadness that I feel is overthinking that we may see less of him this time since ice shows don’t often happen but I’m sure with Yuzu it’s always worth the wait. I was initially excited for the assignments because of him but it fizzled out and honestly, with Yuzu out I think I’m done with the sport. I know I’m still going to cry and it could last for some days lol but I am feeling more hopeful. 

don't fret,just look at this (from the interviews he's doing right now)

Honestly, im relieved. Retirement doesnt mean gone for good. I think competitions arent really valid anymore, and if it was stressful for us, it must have been 100xs worse for him. To know that he was against judges that changed point value on a whim and over and underscored without rhyme or reason...it must be a relief to put that behind him now and get back to what really matters: skating. Its artistry.

He'll still be around, so I'll watch for that and celebrate my blood pressure being saved this year 🤣

i feel so sad. i could feel his retirement coming when i watched FaOI especially his NDP performance. i cried watching it and I could feel the sadness. i know i should be happy for him and i am happy but i still feel sad T-T i wanna cry so bad