General Yuzuru Chat

I've sent them message as well and they've replied:

1Qy6y34.png

I've asked them the source of the info. I also wrote that showing inaccurate info on the athlete profiles don't look good on the organisation because that's a sign of disrespect to the sports and the athletes. I tried to be as polite as I could but they must have thought I was a mean in-law trying to be difficult :D 

On 1/25/2022 at 7:58 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

By the way, raise your hand if you've started following Yuzu's example in your own life. I've started telling myself that nerves are a sign that I'm ready and excited to do well, and that people wouldn't put pressure on me if they didn't think I was capable...it makes a remarkable difference to your mindset, everyone needs to try it...

As a musician, I'm a huge performance psychology geek and I read in one book (Beyond Grit, I think) that instead of fearing the possibility of failure that can come with pressure, we need to view pressure as a privilege and embrace it, grateful for the opportunity to be influential in our field. It has helped my performance mindset (and general anxiety) significantly! I've also learned to not fear nerves. You're so right, often people start to feel nervous butterflies before a big performance/event and get worried that those nerves will sabotage everything or that it means they aren't prepared enough, and it spirals into uncontrolled anxiety, but the best thing to do is understand that nerves are normal and we should expect to feel nerves and be ok existing with them. Then we're free to keep our focus on the main thing we're there to do. 

6 minutes ago, Pianistliz said:

As a musician, I'm a huge performance psychology geek and I read in one book (Beyond Grit, I think) that instead of fearing the possibility of failure that can come with pressure, we need to view pressure as a privilege and embrace it, grateful for the opportunity to be influential in our field. It has helped my performance mindset (and general anxiety) significantly! I've also learned to not fear nerves. You're so right, often people start to feel nervous butterflies before a big performance/event and get worried that those nerves will sabotage everything or that it means they aren't prepared enough, and it spirals into uncontrolled anxiety, but the best thing to do is understand that nerves are normal and we should expect to feel nerves and be ok existing with them. Then we're free to keep our focus on the main thing we're there to do. 

Do you have any advice about us as Yuzuru's fans not suffering from nerves when he competes?? I'm terrible - butterflies and feeling sick, fast heart, shaking hands and legs, can't stay still - I want to be calm and enjoy his performances please!!!??

EDIT: I don't drink by the way lol so Prosecco is not a good answer!

10 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Do you have any advice about us as Yuzuru's fans not suffering from nerves when he competes?? I'm terrible - butterflies and feeling sick, fast heart, shaking hands and legs, can't stay still - I want to be calm and enjoy his performances please!!!??

EDIT: I don't drink by the way lol so Prosecco is not a good answer!

This might sound like I'm not invested enough or am not praying for Yuzu to win, which I totally am lol

But just like world-class artists and athletes focus on what they can control and embrace the process rather than fixate on the outcome, I'm telling myself that my job as a spectator is to enjoy the process of watching (hopefully) many inspired skates by those who are competing, and to not think about the medals while I'm enjoying these skaters lay everything on Olympic ice.  Along with that, I'm reminding myself that competitions are really a means to an end. They are more of a tool to help athletes rise to the occasion and push themselves to the limit, finding and surpassing their potential while sharing that magical moment with the audience. I'm also reminding myself that ice is slippery and anything can happen. While I'm certainly not dwelling on the possibility of falls or anything bad happening to any of the skaters, part of the "fun" of competitions is that you never know how it's gonna turn out, and you have to accept that and be ok with wherever the chips fall. And finally, if judging is too biased towards skaters like Yuzu and it costs him a placement, I'm reminding myself that he'll still have more Olympic golds than any of the other men, and he is fully aware of the judging situation, while also fully aware that he has a giant fanbase who values him as the best, so I think he'd be able to bounce back and stay focused. He seems to be skating more for his fans and himself nowadays rather than ISU or JSF.

....I say all this and believe it, BUT I should add it's infinitely harder for me to watch other people perform than myself. I'd be less nervous performing something that's not yet ready in front of 5000 people than watching someone else perform something prepared for 100. The control freak in me hates watching others perform in real time. If (when) I tense up and get second-hand performance anxiety, I'll keep reminding myself of what I wrote above to re-ground myself, but I fully expect at some point during the Men's SP and FS to forget to breathe and watch everything through my fingers.

19 minutes ago, liv said:

To cope with competition nerves: I eat. Bad things (that taste very good, but are bad for my waistline)....chocolate is usually my go to option. As much as I need, at any time. Other comfort foods I have on hand for " on demand" moments.

My go-to is chocolate sunbutter cups and dried mango. And really good decaf coffee. It's like liquid courage for me without the jitters a few minutes later :)

22 minutes ago, Pianistliz said:

The control freak in me hates watching others perform in real time

Yes that's what I struggle with too! If I don't watch in real time and just wait till I hear what happened, there are no nerves!....but it's very hard NOT to watch in real time lol - thanks for all the tips, I'll give them a try but I imagine I'll still be jumping around complaining how sick I feel! Then after, I ask myself why I put myself through it all when it's supposed to be fun!