General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I do believe that he sticks with the 4T+3A sequence... At the moment it's his hardest jump element and most impressive weapon that nobody else can offer. It could leave a key impact on the judges, if he landed it clean for the first time and right in front of their eyes. It's Nessie's little sister. In a way.

If the 4Lo is not ready until Worlds, Yuzu can still include the sequence in his layout and he wouldn't really lose anything in his BV:

4S,   4T,   3Lo,   3Lz // 4T+3A+SEQ,   3F+3T,   3A+1Eu+3S
BV: 86.83   Max. TSS: 222.68 (with +5 and 10.00)

With his full jump arsenal (4Lo, 3Lz included) there are countless layout options. Don't want to list them up here, but the BV would be around 92 and max. TSS 231.

Yep ! Just dropping this .. (if it can reassure some of you or not, though I'm sure a lot of you already did the calculation like Henni147 did !)

https://imgur.com/a/7ATU5DJ

With GP Helsinki layout (4Lo 4S 3Lo 4T // 4T+3Aseq 3F+3T 3A+1eu+3S)

BV 91.43 - Max TES (+5): 128.58

... while Nathan Chen US nat layout (4Lz 4F 4T 3A // 4T+3T 3Lz+3T 3F+1eu+3S)

BV: 94,39 - Max TES (+5): 133,29

21 hours ago, AKC said:

The BV of what we saw today is nothing like before and he understands this...

Just a small correction, that wasn't a BV we haven't ever seen. To the point I was :waffle:  when after checking the score I also checked the layout and saw it was...a kinda normal layout, same as gpf 😅:laughing: (only swapped lz and f).

Long explanation under spoiler because it gets technical

Spoiler

We have seen much much higher bv last season. This time Nathan got 94.39 and we had already seen a 103.10 as early as WC16:laughing: (Boyang). Even taking away the 8th jumping pass, it would have been higher, quads bv was higher then. And anyway Nathan did 5 and even 6quads layouts, so 4 for him isn't really revolutionary tech and I can name 4 more skaters who have landed 4 quads layouts too (counting Vincent too). One of them was the first one to do so (again, Boyang)

As for BV in current scoring system, with his Helsinki GP layout without the two ur Yuzuru would have not been that far off. The reason is that Nathan is doing 4 quads but only one 3A, while both Yuzuru and Shoma are (were) doing 4quads (even if a 4S in place of the 4Lz, Yuzu a 4Lo in place of the 4F)+2x3A, so bv difference isn't as big as it could be last season.

Of course it's to be seen what kind of layout we'll see in march. I still think a 6quads is possible for Nathan, or he could repeat the flip or the lutz and his bv would be even higher. Till now he has rather consistently hit 4quads+1×3A layout repeating the toe. I feel it could also depend on how the sp goes.

What we have seen is a maxed out score like those we can more often see in ID, close to the highest possible scoring potential

More explanation under spoiler

Spoiler

(I haven't done the math but I'm 99%positive it was a more maxed out score than Yuzuru's WC17H&L score, and maybe even more than GPF15 Seimei, I leave to everyone any consideration about that). 

With GOE factoring being dependent on BV, that's where skaters doing 4lz and 4f have IMO a bigger advantage (of course higher risks too). Yuzuru's Helsinki layout has a lower maxed out score of course.

It's a goe game and a (now bigger)part is in the hands of the judges. The part in the hands of the skaters is choosing a reliable layout that maximizes benefits/risks and trying to give judges no reason to be stingy. Howewer judges can still be stingy. I mean those 4S hitting 6 bullets were there but judges chose not to be impressed:knc_brian3:

Hard to predict a layout for Yuzuru now. In depends on 4Lo, stamina, ankle, on Yuzuru wanting to go for no-doubles or rather higher-goe-potential. So we could see the ACI layout come back. Or the Helsinki layout he was set on doing before the injury. Of the COR one. After all he has kinda landed that 4T1eu3S (downgraded euler nothwithstanding😅) while injured so I'd actually rate the chances of that combo making an appearance higher than the chances of sentimental fave of his (but even higher risk) 4T3A+seq. Or he could be a good boy and do the normal combos everyone else does

:peek:

Worth noting that Yuzuru is the only top skater who has tried (and landed) a new element this season unless I am forgetting a new combo from Boyang? And yes I count him as top skater

Playing it safe is the theme for everyone...but Dmitriev I guess :laughing: and  skaters trying to add one quad, but those with the multiple quads are usually playing it safe, in one way or the other. Tho the fearless ones (Yuzu and Nathan included) are doing all their combos in 2nd half:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: 

Changing subject, I have loved the ElleJapan pics* a lot. Some were new to me. Makes me both soft and nostalgic :tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

*LOL my phone wanted to change pics with pcs :1: I suppose that says enough about what I'm ranting about half of the time :embSwan:

ETA: LOL and by the time I post there are more posts to read.

@Mad_far re:Nessie

I remember seeing it from @Yatagarasu

first but I wasn't there when the name was born, only when it spread :winky:

some promoting :68271262:

Also, I'm so sorry guys that updates are lagging:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp: Tho I have updated something after RC:tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

9 hours ago, holina said:

I watched Nathan’s skates last night on YouTube and to be honest, the skates are pretty good?  I know the scores are quite inflated (LOL at the 10s in PCS) but it was definitely worth 200+ for the free and 100+ for the short, given that he skated the high technial content clean and the jumps are actually quite good? (Not worth +5 GOEs but I think more like +3 and +4).  So, in my opinion, his SP is not better than Yuzu’s COR performance but his FS is better than Yuzu’s Helsinki performance.  

However to put things into perspective it would be expected because Helsinki was Yuzu’s first GP this season.  If Yuzu had not been injured and had been able to practice properly, I am sure his programs would also be almost perfect by now.  Even at COR, his FS was looking pretty good (performance-wise) and if he wasn’t injured there, he probably would have gotten a 210+ FS there.

I agree.  It was probably the best competition he's ever skated and the best skated LP of the season.  But I also think it doesn't mean much - there was no pressure for Nathan at this event and everyone who follows the sport knows that there's a big difference between an early season performance on bad ice vs. a nationals performance when your programs are supposed to be polished and you're starting to peak.

I feel like a lot of people are getting sucked in by the hype even as they're ridiculing the scores.

FWIW, these are the scores I get

101.06+197.55=298.61 (I actually think his SP is great and my total PCS is pretty on par with the scores he gets internationally, though it's lower on SS and higher in other areas)

Adjusted for international Chenflation (added +1 GOE for almost all the elements and +5 raw PCS for FS)

107.13+212.94 = 320.07

Also keep in mind that Chen's BV is only 5 points higher than Yuzu's.  People are really over reacting.  

8 hours ago, Veveco said:

My own 2-cents take on the Weir controversy is that, at the end of the end, he is an adult and he knew perfectly what he was doing. He knew that he would upset a lot of Hanyu  fans by bringing his name into it. He knew that he was playing the nationalistic propaganda game by selling the overscoring (though Nathan admittedly did skate very well, maybe his best ever). Weir is not a complete idiot. Regardless of his reasons (NBC paycheck? politik? true patriotic bias? only he knows), I'm sure he understood what would happen. So, while I will never encourage angry storms on social media, I'm also not feeling sorry for him about the backlash. He knew it would happen and chose to say those things anyway. His recent tweet just adds fuel to the fire. Honestly, worse things have been, and will be, said by commentators about Yuzu. I'm a bit disappointed, but I don't think it is worth that much attention (which has to be, at least in part, the intention of these comments) and I'll move on to happier thoughts.

I honestly think it was just a slip of the tongue.  I tend to be more empathetic because I am prone to diarrhea mouth myself.  I've been an adult for longer than Johnny and I don't know how many times I've looked back on things I've said and regretted it - one time it cost me $3000 because I offered to help my parents buy a car and cut a check on the spot.  It was supposed to be a loan but I know perfectly well I'll never get paid back and I don't have the heart to demand it since it's my parents.

It was a bit crass and someone whose profession is PR spin should be better, but I don't think there was any thought behind it.  

1 hour ago, Henni147 said:

I do believe that he sticks with the 4T+3A sequence... At the moment it's his hardest jump element and most impressive weapon that nobody else can offer. It could leave a key impact on the judges, if he landed it clean for the first time and right in front of their eyes. It's Nessie's little sister. In a way.S 231.

44 minutes ago, PoohCannelle said:

Yep ! Just dropping this .. (if it can reassure some of you or not, though I'm sure a lot of you already did the calculation like Henni147 did !)

https://imgur.com/a/7ATU5DJ

With GP Helsinki layout (4Lo 4S 3Lo 4T // 4T+3Aseq 3F+3T 3A+1eu+3S)

BV 91.43 - Max TES (+5): 128.58

... while Nathan Chen US nat layout (4Lz 4F 4T 3A // 4T+3T 3Lz+3T 3F+1eu+3S)

BV: 94,39 - Max TES (+5): 133,29

I think Yuzu is better off dropping the sequence because he'll gain a lot more in GOE from the second axel as the first element than from the BV gain and it's more stable for him. Not sure, but isn't there also a risk of a jump getting invalidated if the tech caller decides that he "hopped" too much into the axel as the second half of the sequence?  Seems like a really easy mistake to make in the heat of competition.

Depending on the damage to the ankle, I think the layout will be similar to his Helsinki layout with the only question being about the sequence.

7 hours ago, yumeaki said:

They probably have not enough manpower so they pre-empted that. Based on Japan FAQ (weird they did not translate this in English FAQ), only spectators sitting at Premium section can throw flowers and gifts onto the ice. Premium section is so small!!!! I wanna see Poohvalanches!!! 

I'm willing to bet good money the Premium section folks will more than make up for the fact that no one else is allowed. There'll probably be offers to throw other people's stuffies too! 

13 hours ago, yuzuonice said:

Elle Japan posted a Yuzu-Javi tribute, with some beautiful pictures.

(And the captions sound hilarious with Google Translate :hihi: )

I feel like the captions were trying to tell some sort of story.  But it ended up being about a 3-year-old hater of skiing and his romance with a silhouette.  :xD:

Hace 13 horas, ICeleste said:

I don't like is how two-faced he is and how he only praises Yuzuru when it's convenient for him.

My same sentiment, and not just about Yuzu. He is a good skater but like a person... Sometimes is difficult to understand and stan.

zo15eZj.jpg

SOURCE

As for the layout, something like this : (1) 4lo 4s 3Lo 4T// 4Tlo3S 3A3T 3A2T (BV = 90.88) or (2) 4lo 4s 3F 4T// 4Tlo3S 3A3T 3A2T (BV = 91.28) have similar BV to Helsinki's layout. In Helsinki he got 1.59 for great 3F3T while a so so 3A combo would score 2.4 or 2.85, its more than enough to make up the BV difference. IMO I hope he take out 4T3A SEQ, its a hard combo and doesn't make his BV any higher. Layout (1) would be the safest, because a harsh panel might give his 3F !. I wish he would do the combo on first 4T but he won't  lol