Jump to content

General Yuzuru Chat


Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

Regarding SBS claiming copyright on all videos, I suspect the contracts left a loophole that allows them to do so. The thing is, they probably bought the right to the footage itself to be broadcasted in Korea. Since the footage is basically the same over all broadcasters (the official ISU footage, with a few exceptions, who also have their own cameras), then they can claim copyright over that footage being broadcasted in Korea, even if the source is another broadcaster. (Since their copyright doesn't just cover their commentary or so, but the footage as well). So, if they have the right to broadcast WC17 in Korea and this loophole exists, then they have the right to demand any video that has the same footage, even if it's from Eurosport or NBC or CBC or whoever else, be removed. Of course, the better thing would be to ask that it be geo-blocked in Korea - ie not available for free in Korea, but it's probably just easier like this. They hardly care about FS popularity.

 

What ISU needs to do is find a way to close any such loopholes, specifically demand that videos be geo-blocked instead of removed or add a clause about applying it retroactively or even for past broadcasts. Because unless SBS intends to rerun all these events it's utterly stupid to demand them removed, because it does not in any way affect them negatively. Quite the contrary. It's not like people aren't watching SBS live broadcast because they're watching it online, therefore affecting their viewing numbers. Instead, new fans might discover that "oh, look, SBS broadcasts FS! I'll check it out and watch the next competition there!" But I guess it's easier to just scream "Mine! Mine! Mine!" >_>

 

Now about the videos themselves, I'm not a big fan of bilibili either, because of how much of a pain downloading from there is. Plus the interface. (Although there are some precious gems there that I will try to get my hands on now that you've shared ways to do so ^_^; So, thank you for that!) Wouldn't it be possible to do a more private, members-only platform to share the links and still use youtube, with coded video names and making the videos either friends only or unlisted? That'd be safer from a lot of points of view, at least until, hopefully, ISU really does something about this mess. Though I guess it wouldn't help new fans as much...

 

yea, we just realised that worlds 17 cannot be uploaded there because of copyright lol. Maybe some china tv bought the broadcast. But other figure skating channels are doing really well so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Think they only care about chinese broadcasting rights which isn't a lot. 

 

we're currently looking into wordpress embedding, basically compiling videos from various sources

 

if we want to host our own video site, does anyone know how to do this? or are there any good file sharing sites that can be used to compile? 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Niji said:


Do you know how to contact Lorando? I follow her on twitter, but I cant' send her messages and I don't know her account name here on PH (if she is on PH). I downloaded a lot lot lot of Yuzu videos in the past half year, since I'm always a paranoid person who is afraid to lose precious content, even before this madness started. Having a really good internet connection and several hard drives helped too. Sooo there might be a good chance, that I have videos from Lorando Muffins Youtube account, too. I downloaded literally everything I found :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:
 

 

hi, if you have tumblr you can contact her here! https://muffinlorando.tumblr.com or just tweet to her on twitter, she just finished her finals so she'll be able to respond. thank you so much <3 

Link to comment
6 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's crazy. If you read that carefully, it seems that it says, in essence,  that SBS, whoever the flying **** they might be, has the legal right to regulate all ISU-related videos uploaded to any internet platform, regardless of origin, as long as they are not geo-blocked for Korea. That means that not only fan-uploaded videos, but any videos of ISU competitions uploaded by anyone, including other broadcasters who have also purchased broadcast rights, can be deleted at SBS's request unless geo-blocked for Korea!!!

 

Who the freakin' frackety-frack ever agreed to that contract at ISU?! Or did they simply fail to read the fine print? Like, wtf?!! This sounds like SBS thinks they have exculsive worldwide rights to all ISU content.

It's possible they won't go after any official ones- ie if BESP uploads anything to youtube, it's less likely that SBS will go after them, simply because it's a bigger hassle, as BESP I imagine, would have a similar clause in their contract with ISU for broadcasting (live, streaming and online on any platform). Official uploads would also allow geo-blocking so there are plenty of nuances involved.

 

The only ones going down right now, are fan-uploaded videos- but if you want to get into legal nuances, there may be plenty of legality issues involved in fan-uploads themselves (just because there are no profits involved does not mean it automatically falls under fair use). But also, fan uploads probably have less legal protection (financially etc) to defend against takedowns.

 

Link to comment
7 hours ago, kaeryth said:

 

 

How to vote??? They require AIPS card number :((( He's nominated along HUGE names like Cristiano Ronaldo, Roger Federer, Novak Djokovic, etc so it's gonna be very hard. Anyone who's already a member of the media??? Plzz voteee

I'm such a noob about the law problem.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Salior said:

 

yea, we just realised that worlds 17 cannot be uploaded there because of copyright lol. Maybe some china tv bought the broadcast. But other figure skating channels are doing really well so i wouldn't worry too much about it. Think they only care about chinese broadcasting rights which isn't a lot. 

 

we're currently looking into wordpress embedding, basically compiling videos from various sources

 

if we want to host our own video site, does anyone know how to do this? or are there any good file sharing sites that can be used to compile? 

Anything you do publicly will be likely to be attacked in the same way, especially if it becomes popular, because then those claiming copyrights will find out about them. The easier it will be to find out who is behind it - by registering a website, or making a wordpress account in your name and so on - the higher the possibility of actual people being slammed with copyright claims and perhaps accusations of piracy. That's partly why youtube and video hosting sites are better, because they add a level of anonymity, especially since one can make a million accounts on google and re-upload whenever they get shut down. Also since youtube takes immediate action, it satisfies the copyright claimers. If however they find the real people doing this, it can get worse. Not quite the same thing, but some of you might be aware there used to be people uploading jdramas some time back, until the Japanese TV Stations found them and forced them to stop. Or occasionally people even getting arrested for sharing anime and such online. So, personally, I don't recommend starting websites or self-hosting copyrighted videos, no matter how unfair the claims might seem.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, KatjaThera said:

Anything you do publicly will be likely to be attacked in the same way, especially if it becomes popular, because then those claiming copyrights will find out about them. The easier it will be to find out who is behind it - by registering a website, or making a wordpress account in your name and so on - the higher the possibility of actual people being slammed with copyright claims and perhaps accusations of piracy. That's partly why youtube and video hosting sites are better, because they add a level of anonymity, especially since one can make a million accounts on google and re-upload whenever they get shut down. Also since youtube takes immediate action, it satisfies the copyright claimers. If however they find the real people doing this, it can get worse. Not quite the same thing, but some of you might be aware there used to be people uploading jdramas some time back, until the Japanese TV Stations found them and forced them to stop. Or occasionally people even getting arrested for sharing anime and such online. So, personally, I don't recommend starting websites or self-hosting copyrighted videos, no matter how unfair the claims might seem.

 

to bilibili it goes then, at least only three of the H&L videos we uploaded were struck out, the rest was fine it seems. 

Link to comment
2 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

 

 

Quote

機能性といえば、平昌オリンピックの後にスピードスケートの選手の方々とお話する機会があって、「スピードスケートのピタッとした新素材にしたほうが絶対滑りやすいと思うよ。あれでジャンプしたら絶対もっと回れるよ」って言われて、僕は機能性というところに興味があるので、話が盛り上がりました。たしかに、スピードスケートの方々が着ている新素材で回るともしかしたらもっと回りやすいかもしれませんね。ただ、衣装についてルールが定められていますし、フィギュアは魅せるものなので表現に影響が出てしまい、おそらくスピードスケートのような新素材で滑るのは不可能に近いと思います。あまりにも身体のラインが強調されてしまいますし、模様をつけたとしてもフィギュアスケートではなくなってしまうような気がします。(笑)

 

Rough translation:

 

In terms of functionality, I've had an opportunity to talk with speed skaters after PC and they said "If you use the new materials that are used for speed skaters suit, it would help you skate in more ease. You would definitely be able to rotate more" Since I'm interested in functionality of costumes, we've had really good conversation then. I'm sure if we used the same materials as them, it may be able to help us spin/rotate easier. However, we have rules concerning costumes and also figure skating has aesthetic side to consider so it may impact on the expression of programs therefore it is almost impossible to use such materials for our costumes. Not just that, the material would emphasise the body line too much therefore I'm afraid even if the materials with pattern, it would no longer be called figure skating.

 

 

Yuzu! Your UA is already barely legal so if you skate with costume made with speed skate suit material, I'm sure that would become a weapon of mass destruction....:10742290: He knows, he knows exactly what we're dreaming thinking...:13877886:

 

 

Link to comment
44 minutes ago, BWOZWaltz said:

 

 

Rough translation:

 

In terms of functionality, I've had an opportunity to talk with speed skaters after PC and they said "If you use the new materials that are used for speed skaters suit, it would help you skate in more ease. You would definitely be able to rotate more" Since I'm interested in functionality of costumes, we've had really good conversation then. I'm sure if we used the same materials as them, it may be able to help us spin/rotate easier. However, we have rules concerning costumes and also figure skating has aesthetic side to consider so it may impact on the expression of programs therefore it is almost impossible to use such materials for our costumes. Not just that, the material would emphasise the body line too much therefore I'm afraid even if the materials with pattern, it would no longer be called figure skating.

 

 

Yuzu! Your UA is already barely legal so if you skate with costume made with speed skate suit material, I'm sure that would become a weapon of mass destruction....:10742290: He knows, he knows exactly what we're dreaming thinking...:13877886:

 

 

I remember he said he watches himself over and over again in competitive and non competitive vids.  He knows what looks good and what doesn’t and presents himself exactly the way he wants.  I also agree he knows what we are “ dreaming thinking.” lol

 

 :gla:

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Xen said:

The only ones going down right now, are fan-uploaded videos- but if you want to get into legal nuances, there may be plenty of legality issues involved in fan-uploads themselves (just because there are no profits involved does not mean it automatically falls under fair use). But also, fan uploads probably have less legal protection (financially etc) to defend against takedowns.

Fan uploads are the low-hanging fruit. But that doesn't necessarily mean that this will stop once the fan uploads are gone. 😕

 

 

 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...