General Yuzuru Chat

This just popped up for me: 

So nice! There is some footage I haven't seen before.

Spoiler

Edit: The only thing is, that after my first Japanese class, I am still in the 'only Arigatou' knowledge field... :xD:

Well, the videos will do for now.

Aww Yuzu must be disappointeddd. I wonder if having Plu-san be in the audience would give him more fuel. 

Off topic: 

Since we had many discussions previously about how great Yuzu is as a skater and person -- his abililty to overcome obstacles and withstand pressure. But if the forum allows, I would like to know what you guys perceive as his weakness(es) as a skater? I wouldnt say he has no weakness as a skater. I also dont think this is to criticize him in any form. After all, Yuzu himself said there are two Yuzus: strong Yuzuru and weak Yuzuru. He also said weakness is an opportunity to be stronger.

So with that being said, based on our perception of him from the limited resources, is there anything to his skating or approach to skating you think he might need improvement on or you would like to see differently from him? If you cant find any now, was there any in the past that you think he had improved upon? It will be interesting to see the different perspectives because maybe one person might think such and such is a weakness but other sees it as a strength i.e. when I was a new fan I never thought stamina was his problem since I mostly watched his clean skate. But when I watched his fre skates esp prior to training with Brian, it was so clear. Clearly he's improved tremendously since and from what I've seen from short program, he carries the energy from begininng to end the best. But rather than stamina being a weakness, since it's primarily affected by his asthma, I would say his ability to maintain his fuel between programs in many competitions. I feel like he always needed that pressure from either his results or time to hit his potential. So if he had a poor SP, he will try anything to win in the FP and in the whole competition. But if he had a super high SP, he lost focus in the FP.

I think he is the type who works most effectively under pressure, and I learn in the past, this type of people produce more creative results. So I can still see it as a strength and since Yuzu still gets the results with what he does, I cant say he HAS to do things differently. But I know Yuzu is also aware of this, thats why he's always emphasized on skating clean as his goal and getting that resounding win.

edit: But the silver lining in this is since he always needed something to push him, there will always be something to push him in his competitive career. and this is how he keeps himself motivated. How he stays on top for so long and will continue. In the past, it was Javi's Quad Sal, Patrick's skating skills, and then Boyang's lutz.  Now we have 4A 

I will have to think about it some more. There are many forms of weakness. Physical, weakness of mind, weakness of character,... too many to think about.

But one that comes to my mind is a technical one. Lutz. 

When I watch his younger programs, he used to jump beautiful 3Lz. It was in many of his programs. Then his 3Lz became unstable. I don't know if it was due to growing, or if it was at the time he started to play around with the 4Lz. I only see that contrast between his older and newer programs. It's a shame, because lutz is a nice jump.

5 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

I will have to think about it some more. There are many forms of weakness. Physical, weakness of mind, weakness of character,... too many to think about.

But one that comes to my mind is a technical one. Lutz. 

When I watch his younger programs, he used to jump beautiful 3Lz. It was in many of his programs. Then his 3Lz became unstable. I don't know if it was due to growing, or if it was at the time he started to play around with the 4Lz. I only see that contrast between his older and newer programs. It's a shame, because lutz is a nice jump.

I agree. His 3Lz are quite unstable esp as that last jump. I dont really like Lutz or Flips aesthetically speaking. I prefer edge jumps. But of course, it is a jump when done well can prove technical merit 

3 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Skating 2nd:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

does he tend to flop skating 2nd? Sorry I dont really follow the skating order. Can you guess why it's a curse

Just now, makebelieveup said:

does he tend to flop skating 2nd? Sorry I dont really follow the skating order. Can you guess why it's a curse

It's some sort of mental block, i guess. I don't know where the curse of the 2nd began but satellites who have been orbiting around for a while now might enlighten us :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: but yeah, he usually doesn't perform as well if he's skating second. IIRC skating first or last in his group is where he's had the best results.

11 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

I agree. His 3Lz are quite unstable esp as that last jump. I dont really like Lutz or Flips aesthetically speaking. I prefer edge jumps. But of course, it is a jump when done well can prove technical merit 

Look for example at R&J 1.0

At 2:19 he jumps 3Lz 2T combo (I hope the commentators said it right, because I am not sure, if I could tell the jumps apart) and it was gorgeous.

Edit: I watched it in slowmo and I don't know. Maybe it wasn't a lutz. Could someone tell?

Edit of edit: :68468287: I am really sorry, I don't recognize the jumps at all. But I tried to compare to PC lutz and it looks the same, so I will conclude it was lutz after all. The camera angle is not very clear.

12 minutes ago, 4Nessie said:

Look for example at R&J 1.0

At 2:19 he jumps 3Lz 2T combo (I hope the commentators said it right, because I am not sure, if I could tell the jumps apart) and it was gorgeous.

Edit: I watched it in slowmo and I don't know. Maybe it wasn't a lutz. Could someone tell?

Edit of edit: :68468287: I am really sorry, I don't recognize the jumps at all. But I tried to compare to PC lutz and it looks the same, so I will conclude it was lutz after all. The camera angle is not very clear.

Yes it is a 3lz2T. 

You know what I used to do when I first start learning his jumps and layouts? I look at his protocols that is on the first post of this thread and kinda analyze trying to learn what jump he is doing and where :68468287: it been soo helpful to me to look at the protocols :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp:

I love you Planet Hanyu :201111231756430f6: