General Yuzuru Chat

4 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

:13877886:it's easier for me to tell with women but i haven't found much about appropriate formal kimono for men so that's why i ask:13877886:

also i think if it has 5 crests then that's already really formal ...

although yuzu has worn a black kimono for the Sendai press photo and, well, he's not married, so i'm guessing it's okay to wear a black kimono, and also that he has one (although the kamon for that one was different so maybe he borrowed it?)

Just now, yuzuangel said:

also i think if it has 5 crests then that's really formal and doesn't really get more formal than that ...

although yuzu has worn a black kimono for the Sendai press photo and, well, he's not married, so i'm guessing it's okay to wear a black kimono, and also that he has one (although the kamon for that one was different so maybe he borrowed it?)

Yeah, the formality is dictated by the number of crests iirc but i'm still:14066882:

Yeah that one wasn't his :P it was for the Sendai promo. That's another reason why i am :14066882: is it ok? isn't it? I need answers as to why we were spared from hakama death.

1 hour ago, robin said:

Hm I can imagine Yuzu asking his mom to buy him UA shirts and chacott pants and the same model of golden asics trainers over and over LOL

His extensive collection of Armani exchange shirts is completely on his mom tho

ehhmm not to be weird but we know the brand of pants too?? I haven't seen a logo, but maybe I'm not as observant as some :P

20 hours ago, OonsieHui said:

Hmmmm... Obviously can't speak with certainty for anyone besides myself, but from what I've seen around, I think a lot of the dissent around Nathen Chen is not against him as a person but 1) judging panel favouritism, 2) biased USA media hype, 3) personal dislike for his skating style. Like everyone seems to think he's a good kid, but wonder why on earth his coaching team takes him in the direction they do, hate the ridiculous PCS he gets, and hates the media hyping up stuff. 

So I don't think as many satellites hate Nathan as you think. They just hate everything else around him. 

Okay, now you're touching on another craziness of many Fanyus. The western media is head-over-heels in love with Yuzu. Commentators on EVERY SINGLE Western station have called him the GOAT. Whenever he skates, the likes of Scott Hamilton, Tara Lapinski, Johnny Weir ("there's a reason we call him our king",) Dick Button, Kurt Browning, Robin Cousins -- the list goes on and on -- all practically shout for joy every time Yuzu skates. That's across the board: USA, Canada, UK, Europe, EVERYONE. I have listened to commentary from ALL the English speaking channels. I've read many articles from many papers. The biggest Newspaper in the USA -- the New York Times -- even did a positively gushing article about Yuzu that was read by FS fans all across the land. There is absolutely no basis in reality for these complaints. Unless the complaint is that they ALSO hype USA skaters??? Seriously? The Japanese media hypes (supports) all their skaters -- BECAUSE THEY SHOULD!  The media in every country SHOULD highlight the skaters from their own country. The fact that Yuzu gets hyped AT ALL in the USA is amazing. Does the Japanese media spend more time talking about Nathan Chen then the USA media talks about Yuzu? NO! Patriotic loyalty is okay in my book. Every skater, in every country is constantly in need of support so they can continue with their career. The media helps by raising awareness, so they interview local skaters to raise awareness, which, in turn, helps the skaters raise money and get endorsements. It is the freaking RESPONSIBILITY of local media to support local athletes. Please explain why it's okay that Japanese media highlights Japanese skaters more than American skaters, but it's not okay for American media to highlight American skaters more (while still firmly acknowledging that Yuzu is the GOAT.) 

17 minutes ago, Toni said:

The western media is head-over-heels in love with Yuzu. Commentators on EVERY SINGLE Western station have called him the GOAT.

Really? Can you point to where NBC, CBC, Icenetwork etc. have called Yuzu the GOAT? Scott Hamilton has steadfastly maintained that he is not. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir never make that statement either as far as I can remember? Only Tanith Belbin has said "Why not?" when she was asked the question but did she actually acknowledge it afterwards?

The biggest Newspaper in the USA -- the New York Times -- even did a positively gushing article about Yuzu that was read by FS fans all across the land.

The article was good, but it wasn't so positively gushing from the way I read it, and it focused more on his fans than him. (The article even states that the story is about obsession -- namely, Yuzu's fans obsession with him -- and not really about his skating. The title of the online version of the article was positive (calling him "Michael Jackson on ice") but in print they toned it down ("Icon Stumbles On the Road To Glory"), and they focused on a few really weird quotes and bios of random fans (including a girl who moved to Japan because she was a Yuzu fan, and it was taken out of the print article perhaps because the quotes were taken out of context or just because it sounded very creepy/weird).

The fact that Yuzu gets hyped AT ALL in the USA is amazing.

I don't know about you, but I don't think we should have such low standards in reporting that anytime a newspaper in the US reports on a non-American that it's considered amazing. Especially when said non-American is considered by many many in the sport to be the "Greatest of All Time."

Does the Japanese media spend more time talking about Nathan Chen then the USA media talks about Yuzu?

Japanese media is much better at comprehensive reporting than the US, and consequently Japanese skating audiences know/appreciate far more than their own skaters. If you watch Japanese skating news, they like to do graphical analyses all the time and they frequently highlight things like which skater has which quad (and Nathan/Boyang/non-Japanese skaters consistently feature in them). They talk about international skaters all the time. And if you watch Japanese ice shows, they invite American/Western skaters like Jason, Carolina, Javi, Nathan, Ashley, all the time. In contrast, US Stars on Ice almost never invites Asian skaters (has it ever? I don't watch it religiously) nor have Canadian SOI shows.

I've definitely noticed that recreational skaters in the US, when they talk about watching skating, they only talk about American skaters, even in fields where American skaters aren't very strong (i.e. ladies). One possible reason is that the US almost never reports on any skater outside of the US unless they're forced to (i.e. when they're broadcasting the Olympics and the winners are clearly not American), which is not the viewers' faults but isn't it sad that they won't be able to appreciate the beauty of a wide variety of athletes just because they're not American?

There is absolutely no basis in reality for these complaints.

And this is your opinion -- but I think you should tone it down a little, because other people may have differing opinions that are just as valid.

3 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Really? Can you point to where NBC, CBC, Icenetwork etc. have called Yuzu the GOAT? Scott Hamilton has steadfastly maintained that he is not. Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir never make that statement either as far as I can remember? Only Tanith Belbin has said "Why not?" when she was asked the question but did she actually acknowledge it afterwards?

Spoiler

Have Johnny never ever said Yuzu was a GOAT though? I know he at least likes Yuzu because there's that one quote of his saying Yuzu's jumps are suspended in soup. If he never did, makes him saying Nathan was the best skater during US Nats even more of a shocker.

((And before Tara jumped ship (before Nathan came along) at GPF 2015 she called him GOAT I think. That was short-lived of course.))

3 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

The article was good, but it wasn't so positively gushing from the way I read it, and it focused more on his fans than him. (The article even states that the story is about obsession -- namely, Yuzu's fans obsession with him -- and not really about his skating. The title of the online version of the article was positive (calling him "Michael Jackson on ice") but in print they toned it down ("Icon Stumbles On the Road To Glory"), and they focused on a few really weird quotes and bios of random fans (including a girl who moved to Japan because she was a Yuzu fan, and it was taken out of the print article perhaps because the quotes were taken out of context or just because it sounded very creepy/weird).

I don't know about you, but I don't think we should have such low standards in reporting that anytime a newspaper in the US reports on a non-American that it's considered amazing. Especially when said non-American is considered by many many in the sport to be the "Greatest of All Time."

Japanese media is much better at comprehensive reporting than the US, and consequently Japanese skating audiences know/appreciate far more than their own skaters. If you watch Japanese skating news, they like to do graphical analyses all the time and they frequently highlight things like which skater has which quad (and Nathan/Boyang/non-Japanese skaters consistently feature in them). They talk about international skaters all the time. And if you watch Japanese ice shows, they invite American/Western skaters like Jason, Carolina, Javi, Nathan, Ashley, all the time. In contrast, US Stars on Ice almost never invites Asian skaters (has it ever? I don't watch it religiously) nor have Canadian SOI shows.

I've definitely noticed that recreational skaters in the US, when they talk about watching skating, they only talk about American skaters, even in fields where American skaters aren't very strong (i.e. ladies). One possible reason is that the US almost never reports on any skater outside of the US unless they're forced to (i.e. when they're broadcasting the Olympics and the winners are clearly not American), which is not the viewers' faults but isn't it sad that they won't be able to appreciate the beauty of a wide variety of athletes just because they're not American?

And this is your opinion -- but I think you should tone it down a little, because other people may have differing opinions that are just as valid.

I think I must have seen more US commentary than you. I wonder how you could have missed Johnny saying "there's a reason we call him our king." I also don't know how you missed someone asking Scott if he was the goat and him saying he might be. Listen to all the commentaries. They gush. 

And why should I "tone it down" if the constant America-bashers don't have to tone it down too. It's constant and insulting. Over and over again, I have to listen to hate being poured on people who LOVE Yuzu, just because they ALSO love Nathan, etc. I've ignored it, and ignored it, but after awhile, it wears me down.  STOP WITH ALL THE FREAKING HATE! This shouldn't be a place to share hatred. There's just too much of that in the world. PLEASE, everyone, PLEASE can't we just love Yuzu together without hating on anyone else?!