General Yuzuru Chat

Hey guys :peek:

just a post to calrify some things that I have a feeling might still be a little unclear. We do say that discussions about skaters other than Yuzu may be held here as long as they are tangentially related to Yuzu but you can also talk about Yuzu in the General Skating Chat. So if you feel like what you are adressing has more to do with other skaters (such as Gogolev) than Yuzu you may post it on the other thread, too. But ofc this is more of a suggestion. We have been having more OT transgressions on this thread than usual lately and a lot of posts get rightfully reported. So this is just a gentle nudge from me that if you feel like your post could be OT you might as well post it in the more appropriate thread instead of running danger of derailing the Gen Chat

And I'd also like to remind you guys that the Random Thought Theatre exists where you're allowed to go astray and OT and random to your heart's content. (I am guilty of posting some more personal stuff here instead of on the RTT, too, but I'll try not to from now on:13877886:)

6 minutes ago, robin said:

On topic again:

I am oddly happy that we haven't heard anything from Yuzu in the past 2 days. I realllylylylyllylylllyyyy hope he is resting and getting those check ups done

Same. I think he is doing his checkups considering his overnight disappearance from that 8 hour press conferences :laughing:

7 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

Same. I think he is doing his checkups considering his overnight disappearance from that 8 hour press conferences :laughing:

Please skating gods let his ankle recover nicely :bow:

2 hours ago, ClarissaH said:

In regards to that I'd also say that Hanyu fighting the Olympic Demon would make more sense. 

I would kind of like to see a movie made about Hanyu's skating career, but not until quite awhile in the future, as kind of a way to keep what he's contributed to the sport in memory. I'd like to be optimistic but in 10, 20, 30 years from now are people going to remember him? I have no idea who would play him but if something like it doesn't happen for a couple decades there's enough time for a new actor to pop up who would be able to play the role. 

More well-made documentaries are always welcomed though! I absolutely loved the one that aired earlier this year. 

Why not? People are going to remember him as much as other skaters, like Midori Ito, Yuna Kim, Tara Lipinski ect. He has a lot of "first times", the first man to score over 100/ 300, the first man who landed a 4loop, the first man who landed a 4A (ahem :devilYuzu: ), the first japanese to win a lot of things.... and his records are broken only by him so far. I think people will remember him as the last skater in the figure skating era who won olympics ect.  (i'm saying "figure skating era" bc the "jumping era" is almost here :slinkaway:).  People get the real recognition after they retire (or die), Yuzuru is still active, so don't expect his "legend status" to be accepted already now. And maybe he will become a coach, or politican or whatever and  won't let anyone to forget him :mischief:

Since there's been nothing new for a couple of days my first thought was *finally, he's getting himself checked out!* Armed with what they already know about his injury, i hope whatever tests they do now can decide/confirm exactly what is wrong (i think he said there was a little bit of uncertainty as to exactly what the issue was because his previous injuries were confusing the matter) so that they can pursue a course of action. He got his Gold, now time to fix the body and that's the number 1 priority.

1 hour ago, liv said:

Since there's been nothing new for a couple of days my first thought was *finally, he's getting himself checked out!* Armed with what they already know about his injury, i hope whatever tests they do now can decide/confirm exactly what is wrong (i think he said there was a little bit of uncertainty as to exactly what the issue was because his previous injuries were confusing the matter) so that they can pursue a course of action. He got his Gold, now time to fix the body and that's the number 1 priority.

I have to agree that getting himself into fully functional condition is his primary objective.  Then he starts dealing with what he has stated is his new objective - a quad axel.  I think by now he's already thinking about long term objectives.  In a formal sense I think he might try to concentrate on finishing his schooling.  Since he's distance-learning he's able to work his schooling around his training regimen and competition schedule.  Will he compete next season.  I hope he does and he should look at the experience that Patrick had when coming  back after just a season off.  It was not good for Patrick as so much had changed in that year.  He was forever playing catch-up on his return.  Yuzu, even though he stands right now as the world's number one male skater cannot coast on his record forever, even though his record as it stands would make it difficult for anybody to claim that spot, especially if Yuzu is still competing.  He owns the record--books and as current world champion (although that will be changing shortly) and Olympic champion he definitely is the one to beat.  But I'm pretty sure that next season he will put a priority on a fifth  GPF win, a first 4CC win, and a third world title.  The new scoring protocol is going to be a game-changer in some ways though in exactly what way we won't know until worlds are approaching.  Yuzu, though, is a master of gaming the system.  I'm sure that he's already planning what he has to do to make the new system work for him.

As for a more distant future, life after competition, I'm seeing mixed singles from him.  It's clear he likes doing ice shows and he'll be able to name his price when making himself available.  Yuzu's name on the marquee is a guaranteed sell-out, not only in Japan but almost anyplace else.  I don't think, however, and my thinking on this issue has evolved in the last couple months, that Yuzu wants to spend his post-retirement years in the shows.  What he's studying at university and in one documentary I saw how he's adapting some of the things he studying to skating techniques makes me think he's planning on coaching, and with Brian as his mentor, coaching in a big way.  He might serve an apprenticeship under Brian, learning not only coaching techniques but also the business aspects of TCC and the coaching business in general, doing that until he's gotten his sea-legs.  Then I think it'll be back to Japan to open up his own place.  Sendai would seem to be for him a place to situate himself because it is, after all, home, but he might contemplate some other place.  Northern Japan would be preferable over southern Japan, because there the annual experience of winter makes people more cognizant of winter sports.  It's hard to be thinking about skating in a place where palm trees are growing but in places where snow is inevitable on a multiple times a year basis winter sports are seen automatically as something to pursue.

All this, though, is mere conjecture.  With Yuzu we might find we have to take things season by season.  Unless he comes out and says he wants a third OG, he's probably not going to telegraph his future in any detail.  I do think, however, he is assessing his future and the challenges he might face with the idea of retiring while he's ahead of the game.  Patrick is a skater who is just fading away.  He didn't know when to quit.  Javi, on the other hand, decided it was best to leave competition while he was at the top of his form, realizing that maintaining that form was increasingly counter-productive.  So Olympic medal in hand, he heads into the sunset.  I think Yuzu will probably exit in the same manner.  This coming season may truly be his last, particularly if he takes gold in the three competitions I mentioned above.  Actually, the ideal situation would be for him to do next season unbeaten.  That would have him retiring in a blaze of glory.

I remember an early competition, the 2009 Junior Worlds, where the British Eurosport team was commenting, and conjecturing about the future, saying the fourteen year old Yuzuru Hanyu they were watching was the future, that he would be on the world podium some day.  For Yuzu the future is something he sees several times a week, a thirteen year old boy who's doing all five non-axel quads.  Yuzu's no fool.  He realizes nothing lasts forever, so in a very real way I think he's measuring his future in terms of leaving it when Stephen Gogolev is ready to take in hand the torch of World Number One.  That might be sooner than anyone (except Yuzu himself) expects.

PS - Another option for a future Yuzu has just suggested itself to me, and that is Yuzu doing choreography rather than coaching.  We know how he does much of his music mixing and how he is ready to be involved with highly complex choreography for his programs.  A further thought, perhaps he might combine coaching and choregraphy, as was the case with his previous coach, where she did both training and choregraphy. Just more conjecture here.  The only certainty we can have as far as Yuzu's future is that he is not going to do anything more either in shows or competitions until he can get out on the ice and skate at his max without a single painkiller in his system.

There's a lot of different directions Yuzu could go in regards to figure skating after he re***es. Am I the only person who wouldn't be surprised if he tries his hand at a mix of them? Primarily coach and/or choreograph and take part in an ice show every so often for the sake of performing for an audience. 

Whatever it is that he decides to do after he hangs up his skates from the professional circuit, I'm definitely interested to see exactly what it is he does and will surely support him no matter what route he takes. 

Considering the injuries he's attained, and the current one he's dealing with, I wouldn't be surprised if he's just going to take figure skating season by season, if not event by event. It's kind of hard to keep a big goal like "I want a 3rd OG" when between now and then when you have no idea how you'll be performing a couple years in the future or, heaven forbid, another injury is gotten that puts a big question mark on if you'll even be able to compete anymore.