General Yuzuru Chat

As much as I wanted to see him build a nice momentum, which I'm sure was his original plan, since that fall happened, I really can't say I was looking forward to seeing him compete with my eyes glued to his right ankle and knowing for sure that every time he lands a jump he'd be mentally gritting his teeth while also paying an unknown price. Since the injury has been isolated and revealed from the very beginning, we'd know for sure without the blissful veil of ignorance and vagueness (that he used to usually keep everybody under, whether intentionally or unintentionally). If he'd chosen to go against his doctor's advice and skated anyway, we'd know without doubt that every time he lands a jump, or do anything that requires his right foot to bear a lot of weight, it would cost him. And where exactly he'd be feeling it too. 

This is different from CoC '14 and even though that one was a lot more visibly horrific, I'm not comfortable putting a scale as to which is worse for these kind of scenarios as each situation is unique in both nature and circumstances. At CoC '14, the extent of his injuries he sustained weren't isolated yet and it wasn't even clear to the viewers whether or not there was a concussion. Also, it was his first competition in his first season as reigning Oly champ, where he felt he had *a lot* to prove. 

This time around, he's preparing to go in for a shot at another gold, and only as a possible contender rather than an overwhelming heavy favorite, and he has more records under his belt. He wants to overtake his own PBs, all of which he achieved after his win at Sochi, and to do that, he can't afford to be as reckless as he was then. Guess he really did learn from his lisfranc experience. If he starts his recuperation now, there should still be enough time to gain back whatever he's going to lose during this down-time.

Hopefully, this experience will further toughen him up mentally. If there's one thing he's never done before, it's trying to come back after having to give up on a big international competition. Two, in this case. And along with it, another chance to go for a 5th title. That's twice now a 5th straight title's escaped him. It's quite a lot to take, for someone of his caliber and mentality.

But if there's anyone who's able to come back from this new blow tougher and stronger than ever before, it's him. I wouldn't be as sure if this happened to someone else. I reckon it's going to be a few weeks of mental anguish (due to a number of reasons) for him to work through, and hopefully it'll only be that long, but I'm looking forward to a new and improved Yuzuru Hanyu come the Nats, or whichever competiton he does next (could even be the Olys). (:

May the injury, both the physical and the mental, be a short-term but profound one which he'll be able to ultimately turn into a gain like no other.

As for the rest the GP, this would mean the showdown would essentially be a Chen vs Uno one now, if things go well for them at SA, and IdF. And if Brown gets to go to the Final, he may even have a chance to podium. That's pretty exciting still in its own right.

P/s: If 5-peats are never going to be his thing, boy am I glad he's only attempting a 2-peat at the Olys.

I'm not really surprised by this. I was worried last season when Yuzu added the quad loop. But then he finally mastered it and I thought great; he's successfully added a third quad and he can spend this season refining all his elements for the Olympics. 

But then it was the 4 lutz and how he must have that too in order to remain competitive with the younger kids. But Yuzu is no longer a teenager and he's had several injuries already--including injuries to his ankle. And ankle sprains often become chronic problems and are easily re-injured.

I wish his fans would stop pushing him regarding increasing his technical content. There is so much more to his skating than the quad jumps. And he already has one OGM; it will not damage his legacy if he doesn't get a second one. He will still be the Torvill and Dean of Men's Figure Skating--that is, the best ever in the history of the sport.

53 minutes ago, sublimeskating said:

this is random...

but mods, can we have the planet hanyu banner be something like a "get well" message?

something to show how we're all hoping he'll get well soon?

I'm thinking about it. Wanted to do something yesterday but I felt too sad, sorry.

I need to get out of this stress. My final exam is coming and I can't depress for long......BUT I JUST CANNNNNNN'T I CANNN'T for now. I want to cry so much. I hug my friend who is fanyu too but other than her I not brave enough to tell how gloomy I am. I fear that they would say it's nonsense to me but now I just want to cry;;;;;7;;;

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

(sorry for ranting in advance)

i'm fed up with seeing the people I love suffering from stuff they don't deserve... on tuesday, a classmate who was one of the kindest and most loved people i've known commited suicide. he was my best friend's best friend and what hurts most is seeing her so devastated. she keeps crying and blaming herself and i feel so powerless...
i was counting on watching Yuzu perform at NHK to brighten up my mood a bit. the news about his inevitable WD make me feel just as powerless. i'd give him both my ankles and legs if I could. why is the universe so unfair to the nicest people? i'd give everything to see both him and my friend genuinely happy again. i just want this cursed week to end.
i'm so thankful that this community exists- the Planet has helped me remain positive and cope with the stress/worry about Zu. i'm glad he prioritised his health, i'm sending him all my love and wishing him a speedy recovery. i'm positive he'll get through this and come back stronger... hugs to all of you guys as well <3

Oh no, I'm so sorry :sadPooh: *sends hugs* 

I'm so happy for all the wishes for him. I really hope he gets our message. It's okay Yuzu, all of your hard work and sacrifices will be fruitful!:10742289:

And fyi: I went to the disney store and bought a big Pooh bear! I literally had no regrets buying it because i want to fight down this road together with him and i need a pooh.. a big pooh by my side. :pancake: