General Yuzuru Chat

5 hours ago, xeyra said:

I usually have my hands over my eyes, peaking, when Yuzu jumps in competition. This is why practice videos are less stressful. I can actually enjoy the process. :laughing:

The delayed rotation Yuzuru has in the 4lz was obvious in the real time. It gave the feeling of "hanging in the air". If you watch them in slow motion you see that:

When Yuzuru was at the Zeo degree, his whole body was on the air already.

At the same time, Nathan already rotated his body up to 90 degrees.

There is nothing wrong with what Nathan does with his Lutz, just what Yuzuru does with the 4lz is insane. Why you point the toe pick OUTWARDS in a lutz? He is so extra. 

Только что, MrPudding сказал:

I'm deciding whether I want to continue following his competitions live for the rest of the season..

I'm still superstitious about watching him live.. usually something bad happens... I thought my curse was over when I watched ACI sp.. 

I watched ACI and COR live. Sorta felt it was my fault he had a bad skate :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

No, no, no. It's ok, don't think like this. :10742289: There can't be any connection.  But it's such a difficult season. Yuzu needs all his fans and you too. Let's just watch it together and send him our positive energy.

Watching live is so wild.. 

After CoR' FS  I had to rewatch Seimei several times right afterwards to realize what had happened  because I couldn't remember anything. I was so nervous about the jumps I was just dying there during his skate :laughing: not being able to enjoy it fully. Or I was probably stunned by the Lutz save :13877886: 

13 hours ago, CupidsBow said:

The new seimei costume started growing on me from COR. I think the change in colour was a huge improvement. It looked unfinished at ACI but it does look less so. If it's going for another adjustment before NHK I'm sure the final version will seal the deal and win me over hahaha. I am slowly losing my loyalty to the first seimei costume which i think was my biggest reluctance to the new version...

3000 rhinestones...i guess tv just isnt capturing the full extent of Yuzuru's sparkliness...

Sparkliest.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

50 minutes ago, meoima said:

The delayed rotation Yuzuru has in the 4lz was obvious in the real time. It gave the feeling of "hanging in the air". If you watch them in slow motion you see that:

When Yuzuru was at the Zeo degree, his whole was on the air already.

At the same time, Nathan already rotated his body up to 90 degrees.

There is nothing wrong with what Nathan does with his Lutz, just what Yuzuru does with the 4lz is insane. Why you point the toe pick OUTWARDS in a lutz? He is so extra. 

When I started watching Yuzuru, I was amazed at how, instants before every jump, his head turns slightly towards the opposite direction of rotation. I thought it was something that every skater did, tied to the physics of the jump, but... apparently, it's just Yuzu's thing?? Since Nathan doesn't do it at all. I only know I LOVE it.

2 minutes ago, gladi said:

Sparkliest.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

HOLY. SPARKLES. 

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

I think everyone should take a look at Yuzu's Olympic medal.  If we look at it with some objectivity it should be said that he didn't win the gold, but more or less stumbled into it.  He was far from perfect in his free skate, but fortunately for him, Patrick was even less perfect.  I still remember that short video of him being so surprised that he had won the gold.  In fact, in my judgment the one competition he truly won of the Big Three that season was the GPF.  At Sochi and Worlds he just screwed up less than the competition.  In the 2013 GPF he skated two solid programs and was clearly the one in charge.  Beyond that, as impressed as I am (nobody could not be) by Yuzu's legendary two weeks in late 2015 I still think his most dramatic and truly triumphant victory was the 2014 GPF, followed closely by his triumph in Helsinki this year.  Knowing how that 2014 season had been so disastrous leading up to the GPF, it was the fitting Hollywood finale of his pursuit of GPF gold.

Wow, that is a very harsh view IMO. By that logic, since 2014, nobody except for Yuzu has actually won any competition, they all just stumbled into it because they were lucky Yuzu messed up. And while a clean Yuzu would have won every competition since then, the fact he wasn't and didn't deliver is part of the competition process. Javi won Worlds 2015 and 2016. Nathan won 2017 4CC. DTen won 2014 4CC too and wasn't just lucky Yuzu wasn't there. The best man that night wins, it's not always the best men overall at that time point, it's not always with a great performance. But if you did the best that night, you win.

Also, I'm sorry but if everyone wants to get all worried every time Yuzu is called the favorite for Olys, you'll have a lot of worrying ahead of you :laughing: Didn't Plush predict Yuzu for 2014 pretty closely after 2010, when he was only JWC? It's not a jinx, it might be a good luck charm :P

If you want to be superstitious: Yuzu got 2 silvers per season since 2013-14, otherwise always gold (except for a 4th place at NHK 2014, but we don't talk about that). So maybe all gold from now on? He was the first man to land 4Lo and goes into Olys as reigning Oly champ. You know who landed the first 3Lo? Dick Button, that last guy who managed to repeat his OGM (and he landed that 3Lo in between his 2 OGMs too!). Lots of positive signs out there too, just focus on the right ones ;)

(OTOH, be happy he wasn't at SC this year - with the way Chiddy skated, he might have won that. And for the superstitious lot, that gold medal is cursed. Ask Javi, the only other man to take it away from Chiddy in recent years, who then ended off the Oly podium in 2014!)

2 hours ago, Joey said:

Wow, that is a very harsh view IMO. By that logic, since 2014, nobody except for Yuzu has actually won any competition, they all just stumbled into it because they were lucky Yuzu messed up. And while a clean Yuzu would have won every competition since then, the fact he wasn't and didn't deliver is part of the competition process. Javi won Worlds 2015 and 2016. Nathan won 2017 4CC. DTen won 2014 4CC too and wasn't just lucky Yuzu wasn't there. The best man that night wins, it's not always the best men overall at that time point, it's not always with a great performance. But if you did the best that night, you win.

Also, I'm sorry but if everyone wants to get all worried every time Yuzu is called the favorite for Olys, you'll have a lot of worrying ahead of you :laughing: Didn't Plush predict Yuzu for 2014 pretty closely after 2010, when he was only JWC? It's not a jinx, it might be a good luck charm :P

If you want to be superstitious: Yuzu got 2 silvers per season since 2013-14, otherwise always gold (except for a 4th place at NHK 2014, but we don't talk about that). So maybe all gold from now on? He was the first man to land 4Lo and goes into Olys as reigning Oly champ. You know who landed the first 3Lo? Dick Button, that last guy who managed to repeat his OGM (and he landed that 3Lo in between his 2 OGMs too!). Lots of positive signs out there too, just focus on the right ones ;)

(OTOH, be happy he wasn't at SC this year - with the way Chiddy skated, he might have won that. And for the superstitious lot, that gold medal is cursed. Ask Javi, the only other man to take it away from Chiddy in recent years, who then ended off the Oly podium in 2014!)

Yeap, I have been saying this... I was secretly scared for Aliona and Bruno before their FS at SC, I was like: "But if they won this, maybe it's jinxing...." so yeah...

Sorry D/R, but I feel that Aliona and Bruno will place higher than them at the Olympic. It's just my feelings.

I think it was Kurt Browning who made the excellent point that the times of practices and competitions, plus the team competition makes the Olympics a very different beast from normal competitions- it's not surprising that there are less than perfect performances.  The whole thing is geared to the IOC TV contracts rather than the convenience of the competitors.  When the 2012 Olympics were in the UK there was a big fuss over the sailing and windsurfing- the organisers wanted it where it was easiest to make money and funnel in spectators, the competitors lobbied for the best place to actually perform their sports, and on that occasion they won.  

6 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

I never knew the Japanese name.  So it's "Pari walkstreet"  :laughing:  At least my first thought for Michi is street. I'm wonder why they didn't call it "パリの歩道" (Pari no  Houdou) 

Okay, I give up, I tried to stop my inner Japanologist but she keeps resurfacing. Actually the title in Japanese include "歩道" as sanpomichi is 散歩道, and it's basically a fancier way to say promenade or something like that, so since the original is 'walkways', and not sidewalk, maybe they decided a fancier hodou will be more fitting? xD Doesn't change the fact that Japanese love shortening titles written in Katakana and I'm almost fine with it (if it was easier to discower what they mean y the shortcut as it is easier to write...)

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:

no joke I would buy these products. Thats great marketing right there. 

The joke's on me, as I almost bought an overpriced aloe drink, only because it was in the color I liked (middle green of the H&L) and the only Lotte product that was in the shop... I'm not the type to fall for consument's traps, but Lotte seriously did a good job of their sponsorship of Yuzu :biggrin:  

44 minutes ago, gladi said:

Sparkliest.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That would explain why the lights were put lower every time the skaters entered the arena...people had to get used to sparkle, otherwise they would go blind!

17 minutes ago, Joey said:

If that worrying means people stop underappreciating him, I swear I'm going to worry away without a word :P 

Also, no wonder Canadians always get silver on the Olympics, too many Canadian golds in their resume...poor guys. That means Shoma's going to mess up Olys? (god, I hope not, nobody should have cried at the Olympics, and knowing the pressure Japanese skaters have on them...)

4 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I think it was Kurt Browning who made the excellent point that the times of practices and competitions, plus the team competition makes the Olympics a very different beast from normal competitions- it's not surprising that there are less than perfect performances.  The whole thing is geared to the IOC TV contracts rather than the convenience of the competitors.  When the 2012 Olympics were in the UK there was a big fuss over the sailing and windsurfing- the organisers wanted it where it was easiest to make money and funnel in spectators, the competitors lobbied for the best place to actually perform their sports, and on that occasion they won.  

Yes, the Olympics are.... special. And with the competitions starting at 10 in the morning this time, it will be unusual for basically everyone involved. Tbh, I'm quite annoyed the Olympics are so much the be all and end all of Figure Skating. I think 2 consecutive WC titles like Javis or the 2 titles Yuzu has 3 years apart, Patricks 3 WC titles, let alone Yuzus 4 straight GPF wins - that's all more impressive then winning that one comp every 4 years. But well, none of my complains will change a thing ^^"