General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

I wonder if he wakes up to Seimei nightmares after too much practice. The listening to the same thing over and over and over again part sounds like a bit of a nightmare, especially with the ferocity he has to bring to that music.

If you like the music and you like what you're doing with it, you're not going to have nightmares about it at all! But you WILL wake up with the music in your mind, go to sleep with the music in your mind, and have it popping up in your mind during pretty much all day :laughing: 

This is also why I appreciated so much yesterday's video with Matsuda (that was her name, right?) playing Chopin. Not only she played it beautifully, but it was her own version, it wasn't standard, it wasn't boring, it really had a momentum and soul into it, and made it sound like a completely new, fresh piece. I bet Yuzuru understood this, and appreciated it. That's why he said "I want to skate to this!". 

By the way, tonight I dreamed that I was skating to Chopin... and I was way better than reality, lol! I, like, did spread eagles and turns and stuff... unreal :xD:

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I think it's sort of natural for an athlete not involved in team sports, not to mention he's a young male in his 20s (the world seems to revolve around a lot of them.) On top of that, all the resources dedicated to him, cameras turned his way. I went to school with an OGM who was similarly self-focused (though nowhere near as polite, kind, and gracious.) That sort of intense, driven personality can be a bit of a social repellent and along with the isolation of dedicating all your time to training, it must be difficult to interact socially with others. I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of these kids seem pretty dorky off ice. :) Also, that pianist seemed incredibly shy. As a former mute-level shy person, it was always a relief when other people talked about themselves, though in an interview that's not really a great outcome. They're just a couple of insanely talented kids having a bit of an awkward chat.  

Brian is in full-on PR mode this season and apart from the costume comments, I'm loving it. Best spinner in the world, pancakes pancakes, pancakes, etc etc etc

Yes, putting the music-skater together was genius, but getting them to then interview each other without prepping them (enough) to have a better conversation - they formatted it like an interview - was not exactly genius. Yuzu just steamrollered over her at times - and sometimes it seemed to be him going overboard trying to fill gaps so there wouldn't be silences (oddly, that's another introvert thing, so this might actually have been two very different kinds of introverts interviewing each other)! I wonder how her album promos go, with that extremely introverted demeanour! But I'm pretty sure the entire interview portion could've been edited differently.

4 hours ago, Vivienne said:

It's a new costume, definitely. Look, they have to make a new one, just not a new design :free-random-smileys-161: :animated-smileys-cheeky-041:. And maybe Brian trolled us, he knows we care about costume. I remember fans asked him about Yuzu's costume for POTO at 2014 CoC and he answered something like: "Just wait" :peekapooh:

Yeah, like my school uniforms were new every year. :/

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

If you like the music and you like what you're doing with it, you're not going to have nightmares about it at all! But you WILL wake up with the music in your mind, go to sleep with the music in your mind, and have it popping up in your mind during pretty much all day :laughing:

By the way, tonight I dreamed that I was skating to Chopin... and I was way better than reality, lol! I, like, did spread eagles and turns and stuff... unreal :xD:

I meant more of the emotions that go with the music would be replaying in his head in his sleep, too. The kind of energy you need for Seimei isn't what sweet dreams are made of.

Hmmm an exhibition skate to Sweet Dreams. Oh my. I might sell half my soul for that. I hope you have dreams of skating to Sweet Dreams now. :biggrin:

11 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Yes, putting the music-skater together was genius, but getting them to then interview each other without prepping them (enough) to have a better conversation - they formatted it like an interview - was not exactly genius. Yuzu just steamrollered over her at times - and sometimes it seemed to be him going overboard trying to fill gaps so there wouldn't be silences (oddly, that's another introvert thing, so this might actually have been two very different kinds of introverts interviewing each other)! I wonder how her album promos go, with that extremely introverted demeanour! But I'm pretty sure the entire interview portion could've been edited differently.

A better format would have been like Keiji's room with conversation topic cards so they could answer in turns (if it was really meant to be a 'conversation') so she could have more opportunity to answer direct questions. Or simply more interview training (which Yuzu understandably doesn't have lol). Do classical musicians really do much promo stuff? I'm not involved in that world at all but it seems I rarely see them do it on 'regular' TV

10 minutes ago, kaerb said:

A better format would have been like Keiji's room with conversation topic cards so they could answer in turns (if it was really meant to be a 'conversation') so she could have more opportunity to answer direct questions. Or simply more interview training (which Yuzu understandably doesn't have lol). Do classical musicians really do much promo stuff? I'm not involved in that world at all but it seems I rarely see them do it on 'regular' TV

That would have been a much better format. It's obviously not Yuzu's thing, he doesn't need to be good at everything. Just needs to be the very best at what he is good at. No pressure!

And they must do promos - I mean, this must have been excellent promo for her concerts and album, because she got to promote that at the very end and all of his fans will watch this segment! I'd guess that if you make a CD, you have to promote it one way or another, especially if you have concerts and recitals coming up.

58 minutes ago, Floria said:

Thank you Mr Button for never mincing words, as straightforward and reasonable as always.

(and it certainly feels like he's slamming certain skaters and schools in the article, not calling names out but if you watch enough and see enough you know who he's getting at)

Artistry requires technique, just as technique cannot exist without artistry in this thing we call Figure Skating. It's too bad he never really got to reign over the ISU. Or forcefully make his opinions a rule in the ISU.

Now for Yuzuru though, since he always mentions wanting to stay and help skaters later on in his life, I do wonder if he'd be up to taking the mantle of ISU management or at least the technical side? Ulrich Salchow, according to his wiki page, actually ran the ISU as president for quite a while after he left competitive skating.

“The World Professional Figure Skating Championships that I started (in 1973) had two programs,” he cited. “One had the emphasis on artistry and the other one had the emphasis on technique. That’s what I recommend for the ISU to correct this.”

The ISU is considering this very idea, according to a recent report by legendary skating writer Phil Hersh.

I'm sorry but what??? He recommended this horrible idea to ISU???

2 minutes ago, dancingnoodles said:

I'm sorry but what??? He recommended this horrible idea to ISU???

My understanding was that the professional figure skating championships he started was then later taken over by the ISU and went quite different from what he intended. Nevermind that in the article itself, Button dismisses the idea of ISU's idea even remotely close to what the original intention of his suggestion is; nor ISU's actual ability to correctly apply rules and formats. If anything, the system we have now is the closest we could get to objective judgment of skating, but the application of the rules itself has been uneven, which does not allow the COP to really shine. I think if someone were really to say, recalculate the co-efficients for PCS score, I think Button would be more or less on board.

I don't think that Button's idea of the 2 programs is the same as the ISU's, where you get different champions for each segement and then an overall champ- he pretty much says outright you cannot separate technique from artistry etc. And was quite dismissive of ISU's leaning to give everyone a medal for just about anything.

As for the World Professional figure skating championships, did it not have some very interesting skaters, such as BOrser, Scott Hamilton and Uncle Kurt competing in its ranks at some point after they stopped competing on the ISU circuit?

12 minutes ago, Xen said:

My understanding was that the professional figure skating championships he started was then later taken over by the ISU and went quite different from what he intended. Nevermind that in the article itself, Button dismisses the idea of ISU's idea even remotely close to what the original intention of his suggestion is; nor ISU's actual ability to correctly apply rules and formats. If anything, the system we have now is the closest we could get to objective judgment of skating, but the application of the rules itself has been uneven, which does not allow the COP to really shine. I think if someone were really to say, recalculate the co-efficients for PCS score, I think Button would be more or less on board.

I don't think that Button's idea of the 2 programs is the same as the ISU's, where you get different champions for each segement and then an overall champ- he pretty much says outright you cannot separate technique from artistry etc. And was quite dismissive of ISU's leaning to give everyone a medal for just about anything.

As for the World Professional figure skating championships, did it not have some very interesting skaters, such as BOrser, Scott Hamilton and Uncle Kurt competing in its ranks at some point after they stopped competing on the ISU circuit?

I see. Thanks for the clarification! I was really confused since Button criticized ISU's failure to apply rules correctly and the intention to change everything, but he also seemed to dislike the idea of having jumps disrupting the flow of the programs (what's with the book analogy? :shrug: