General Yuzuru Chat

On 2/29/2024 at 8:40 PM, Pushme-Pullyu said:

I still jump like a scalded cat every time I see a landing won't quite work out,

A key component of the fanyu experience! And poor 🐈 ! 

Yuzuru had a 24-year-long competitive career and spent the last twelve years of it right at the top. And he quit while he was still at the top and people were still cheering for him.

As much as I wish it could have been longer, it literally doesn't get any better than that.

And now we have this incredible professional career to watch. Plus it gives us all an excuse to visit Japan :love:

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

A key component of the fanyu experience! And poor 🐈 ! 

Yuzuru had a 24-year-long competitive career and spent the last twelve years of it right at the top. And he quit while he was still at the top and people were still cheering for him.

As much as I wish it could have been longer, it literally doesn't get any better than that.

And now we have this incredible professional career to watch. Plus it gives us all an excuse to visit Japan :love:

And his very last competition, for all the injustice and sadness, actually won him many many new fans, far more than any other skater there.

[NEWS] , I guess? This is an interesting discussion by a baseball writer, that addresses Yuzu's situation in the context of Shohei Ohtani's recent announcement that he got married. 

It's surprisingly perceptive of what Yuzu has been put through, coming from someone who, as far as I can tell, isn't immersed in the skating world

34 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

[NEWS] , I guess? This is an interesting discussion by a baseball writer, that addresses Yuzu's situation in the context of Shohei Ohtani's recent announcement that he got married. 

It's surprisingly perceptive of what Yuzu has been put through, coming from someone who, as far as I can tell, isn't immersed in the skating world

This just makes me suffer again. 

On 2/29/2024 at 5:34 AM, yuzuangel said:

Been watching old Yuzu videos lately and...I miss watching him compete 😔🤧 and there won't be a competitor like him ever again. You never know how good you had it until it's gone. 🥺😢

God I miss competition-Yuzuru so much too - I think many of us "older" fans (not age lol, I mean length of time being a fan) were sports fanatics to start off with and, like Yuzuru himself, really enjoyed the "sports" aspect of the discipline. Fortunately, I am also amazed at his Ice Stories, the fact we can get to see Yuzu skate for nearly an hour in total is a joy, and his full creative genius is only just starting to show itself I feel. I hate that Yuzu had to put up with abuse from his governing bodies for his last years of competition (I agree with him on timescale, from 2015 the "decision" had already been made to ensure he could not continue to dominate, Laternik sort of confirmed that too), and I really am so sad he was forced to leave competition before he was really ready to do so, but how much I love seeing that happiness at the end of Prologue, at the end of GIFT, at the end of Saga and Yokohama shows, and hearing him say that the last Re_Pray show was like winning the Olympics for him made me happy that he can feel that way out of competition - it must be so hard for him, he really is a very committed competitor when all is said and done, the GOAT of competitiveness in fact!

On 2/29/2024 at 4:02 PM, liv said:

Totally agree. I haven' t been able to watch his shows, and the clips I've seen , well, the skating isnt the same for me... the excitement, nerves, rising to the occasion... I've always loved competitive skating more than shows and while I haven't watched much skating at all this year, what I have watched is competitive. It is still what I enjoy most. Watching Junhwan, Yuma... I watch them now, but the feeling is nowhere near the same as the Yuzu years. 

I still love Yuzu, but my days of coming here every day are gone. 

I confess...I haven't watched ANY competitive skating since Yuzu! I'm not even sure I'll watch the Olympics when they inevitably roll around again. It's just not the same, and it would make me miss Yuzu too much :crybaby::cry:

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

I confess...I haven't watched ANY competitive skating since Yuzu! I'm not even sure I'll watch the Olympics when they inevitably roll around again. It's just not the same, and it would make me miss Yuzu too much :crybaby::cry:

Same here. For me, it would be like watching a movie where the main character is missing. Probably great supporting actors, but the story doesn't make sense anymore. 

Thank heavens our leading actor can do the whole movie on his own. 

I used to like watching competition more because all skaters are simply more serious in comps. Most of them have weak and/or haphazardly choreographed programs when it is for a show, not competition.

Yuzu isn’t like that, thank God. And so, while I do miss his competitive days, I like where he is now.