General Yuzuru Chat

3 minutes ago, monchan said:

That's why I said no podcast is "fair", but ppl always expect them to be fair. I'm not sure about their intention, but seems like they have good reputation from the start and many fans trust their opinions? Yikes. You can complain on their websites or PM, and see how they perceive. If they can accept criticism and adjust, it's good, otherwise, just drop cuz they might just be TSL 2.0.

Yea I think it’ll be good to let them know, the centre team might not know about this, and at least iirc they were reasonable people. I was there when they first launched the podcast 

3 minutes ago, Katt said:

TSL is unbearable. I also hope people would stop giving them any view but well. I don't take any podcast too seriously, but hey, give people one day to rant and forget it all tomorrow :laughing: I'm about to send a comment to their website but connection issue happened and well, I will watch origin and go to sleep :laughing:

There was a fight on Reddit about this and it seemed like some people “liked” how honest they were... personality differences I guess 

I still don't get why people like podcasts and vlogs made by 'regular people'... if I wanted to hear some random person ramble, I'd just listen to myself and look in the mirror.

I'm not a fan of these times when anyone can become 'someone' by filming themselves or recording themselves say or do stuff. Anyone can then claim to be a journalist or someone whose opinion makes a difference. It's just stupid... Ok, regular journalism has gone down the drain in many ways, too, but these people are really just stating opinions. Why anyone would take their words as facts is beyond me. And it's even worse when it's all one-sided and there's no real discussion, no real debate, so all you're getting is a one-sided view of things. Which helps you how? I don't get it. I'd rather go on forums and see multiple opinions, multiple points of view, read multiple arguments, look at the facts and decide for myself, rather than just parrot whatever some random person on the internet said, just because they have a podcast/blog/vlog and many viewers/listeners... (And this isn't just about FS, it blows my mind how many online 'celebrities' there are now...)

Well there you have the difference - a group of random figure skating fans podcast vs that of a highly experienced, well respected winter sports journalist - read/listen to the latter.  If you want to engage with other fans pick a forum where you are at least having a discussion as a group rather than trying to engage with the owner of a platform.

30 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

I still don't get why people like podcasts and vlogs made by 'regular people'... if I wanted to hear some random person ramble, I'd just listen to myself and look in the mirror.

I'm not a fan of these times when anyone can become 'someone' by filming themselves or recording themselves say or do stuff. Anyone can then claim to be a journalist or someone whose opinion makes a difference. It's just stupid... Ok, regular journalism has gone down the drain in many ways, too, but these people are really just stating opinions. Why anyone would take their words as facts is beyond me. And it's even worse when it's all one-sided and there's no real discussion, no real debate, so all you're getting is a one-sided view of things. Which helps you how? I don't get it. I'd rather go on forums and see multiple opinions, multiple points of view, read multiple arguments, look at the facts and decide for myself, rather than just parrot whatever some random person on the internet said, just because they have a podcast/blog/vlog and many viewers/listeners... (And this isn't just about FS, it blows my mind how many online 'celebrities' there are now...)

I used to wonder a lot about these as well, and I’ve found my “answer” through studies on different thought processes. This site was quite helpful to my self development and understanding people who “I cannot understand”, hope you find it helpful if you’re interested 

https://mbti-notes.tumblr.com/masterposts

I myself is an INTJ (intraverted intuitive dominant - Ni as first function), and I find that I tend to seek out or provoke contrasting info to form a more wholistic view. Granted I don’t do this all the time, and unfortunately I can get too righteous, but I try to keep this at the back of my mind and keep feeding info to form a more coherent picture. Sometimes I visit hate subs just to find out why people think that way lol. My feeling function is intraverted (Fi), meaning that to me, I prefer to judge for myself what is right or wrong, rather than to follow whatever people tell me.

Some known stereotypes like immature ESTPs are intraverted intuitive inferior (Ni as the last function), so when underdeveloped, it just never crossed their mind that there could be more than one side of the story, and they really struggle to keep thinking about it. They prefer to “keep things straightforward” and “see things as they are”, which they perceive to be the truth. Their tertiary function “extroverted feeling” (Fe) makes them enjoy “validation” when listening to others, and they love to be part of a “community” that agrees with them. That’s why they seek out online celebrities and “parrot” them because they feel included.

It kind of like how some people love sports and can’t imagine people being that bad at it because it’s natural to them, but some people hate it and get headaches trying to get good at it. But applied to different areas and thought processes in life. 

some people think this is pseudoscience but I found it helpful, only when it is used as a tool to understand things you couldn’t see before, and not as something to feed biases and confirm conclusions. It’s difficult to pick up, like learning a new language, but a worthy life long skill imo, can be applied irl as well

6 minutes ago, IULIANA said:

I really dont know much about other podcasts, I mean the ones you  have mentioned here like ITL etc., but the one of Ambesi and Dolfini is quite professionnaly made. So, no, not all of them are bs

Same Ambesi who first calls Alysa's "4lz" a triple but later praises Anna's or Sasha "4lz"?

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

When landed well, Anna and Sasha's 4Lzes have 0 underrotation and about 180 degrees prerotation. Alysa's 4lz has often >180 degrees prerotation and >180 degrees underrotation. There is a difference.

Anna often URs too. All three "4lz" are bad. That's not a problem. The problem is that Ambesi is very biased for some European skaters (like Eteri girls or P/C) and is another comentator that I definitely won't miss. And recently did some insensitive jokes.

3 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Can we please not use this nickname for Yuzu. I know it sounds cute but it is the nicknamed another fandom uses for a very despicable person and it hurts me seeing it used for Yuzu.

ouch, sorry

I can only speak for myself, but for me podcasts were "attractive" when I was very new to figure skating. When you don't know much about the sport, it is an easy way to hear about it. It's not like ISU offers a user-friendly or interactive way to learn about the sport or if it is being discussed much in mainstream media. In fact, I think a lot of the interest comes from the lack of coverage from mainstream media, which makes a void that podcasts appear to fill.

Reading long (and sometimes vague) rule books isn't exactly entertaining and gets quickly tedious. There are various videos on youtube about scoring, jump technique, etc., made by fans, but if you want to have a recap of recent competitions to have an idea of the current field, podcasts should (theoretically) be a good alternative to non-existent media. At least as an introduction to the sport (again, theoretically).

After almost 2 years though, I found myself having my own opinion and don't feel the need to listen to podcasts anymore most of the time. Particularly if it turns into a gossip session or is pure unsupported opinion (we all have our preferences of course, but there is a line between stating our opinion and claiming it to be the ultimate truth). Now, I mostly listen when they interview someone whose perspective I'm interested in (like Tracy's interview from last season for instance). 

6 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Anna often URs too. All three "4lz" are bad. That's not a problem. The problem is that Ambesi is very biased for some European skaters (like Eteri girls or P/C) and is another comentator that I definitely won't miss. And recently did some insensitive jokes.

ouch, sorry

He gave his fair share of criticism towards Dimitri Aliev for his lutz pick, but again that’s the only example I know of 

I think people liked him because of the PC commentary that he did of Yuzu where he analysed his technique and praised him a lot, and it seemed well founded along with the criticisms/praises he had for other men skaters

1 hour ago, shanshani said:

I’m not really sure why people listen to these podcasts/shows either. I guess I never saw the appeal.

I still think we should make our own though. :P Who’s down?

We don't even need to do anything special - just record any conversation of a group of four or more satellites at any competition we go to and you'd be just as good, and definitely funnier, than anything TSL puts out. I haven't listened to ITL because their podcasts are way too long, but we're probably wittier than them too.

Only thing we'd have to tone down is our thirstiness. :sipping: