General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, Salior said:

From here I read that the ice conditions made it difficult to implement edge jumps. Does anyone knows what this means? Too rough? Rink creation too rushed? Impurities? What's so special about edge jumps for the conditions to affect it? Just wondering if anyone who skates can illustrate the situation. 

Also why though. Like I thought they have a standard to meet for the ice, seems unfair that the ice made so many ladies fall during their event. 

It could be the ice was too soft (too warm) or too hard (too cold). Edge jumps require you to launch off of your blade with no assisting foot and when the ice is too hard or soft I believe the grip of the blade on the ice is affected...

So I keep seeing that Alina's PCS should go up because she's the reigning Olympic gold medalist, but Yuzu's also the reigning Olympic gold medalist, and this hasn't happened to him? In fact his PCS has dropped. I don't think people's PCS should go up because of their gold medalist status, but uh, isn't it kind of strange that the expectation in women's is totally different than the expectation in men's?

38 minutes ago, Lunna said:

Maybe? :68468287: it's hard to hear with all the crowd noise was it him or not

I think he did manage a whistle in the end, at some point lol

And I was thinking there must be something wrong with the ice, too. Aside from falls on jumps, Kolyada losing his balance during steps I thought was really weird. Sure, it happens, but it happened to him twice. I don't remember what elements, but not jumps and it was on the far side of the ring (to the right of the judges). I also thought the arena got warmer through the day on Sunday and the ice was definitely melting during the gala - it was warm enough that I didn't the jacket, although on other days I was freezing even with it on. I think that's also why Yuzu struggled a bit to gather ice chips to make it snow, making quite a few people around me laugh.

Now, about the not so positive things discussed here and in the Helsinki thread, regarding audience behavior, here's my impressions (under spoilers, because it's huge :headdesk2:)

Spoiler

Cheering for a skater while another skater is competing or just about to is just plain rude. I admit I myself focused on Yuzu whenever he was in view and tried filming, mostly because I knew TV crews wouldn't, and there could have been cute or interesting moments. As it's still, technically, in public, I'm ok-ish with it. However, anything beyond that is rude. Even if we might not like all the skaters, I believe we should still respect them. Also, this was just my second full competition and there was something else that to me seems a little bit rude. Namely, in practice, during a skater's runthrough, to clap and cheer at another skaters' jumps or spins or whatever. Of course, sometimes it can't be helped - if Yuzu did a 4A while another skater was doing an RT, I doubt anyone would be able to hold back - or the skater with the RT isn't actually doing anything but skating around. But generally, to me it would seem normal to keep reactions subdued at times like that. This was happening with various skaters, it wasn't just a Yuzu thing, though. I have no idea if there's some generally accepted behavior from this pov, though.

Now, as for leaving, I actually noticed quite a few people leaving after Yuzu finished his SP. I, too, thought it was rude. It's hard to slip by unnoticed when it's large numbers of people and the next skater was already introduced. I was sure many were hurrying to catch Yuzu as he walked to the press room. After the SP was over, I was actually going to go to our meeting place, but stumbled upon the crowd. Since I was there anyway, I decided to wait a few minutes, and thought a glimpse would be nice, but I wouldn't try too hard. The crowd was actually not pushing or anything, they were pretty calm. Only when he appeared, everyone flipped their phones up and so you couldn't really see anything anyway. What I do remember - or I might have imagined it, too - is that he looked surprised, a bit of a "wtf?" look. But he bowed and then seemed ok in the press conference. They had barriers and as far as I could see, people were respectful. So I don't think this really bothered him that much, but as pairs was following, I think, it did surprise him.

I don't think Yuzu fans should have to support other skaters or other disciplines. I think forcing yourself to sit through something you don't like, is worse, as you might inadvertently end up being more rude than if you just left.

Also, the event was not sold out and I saw some areas were fuller during ladies than men. Probably because there were two local ladies. And despite the assigned seats, there were many people migrating to better seats and only moving if the seat's rightful owner showed up.

I personally only skipped Rhythm Dance and maybe the first group of Pairs? I don't remember. I wanted to watch as much as possible, but the downside is that by now a lot of it is blurred together and I can only remember a handful of performances and in a way that feels worse than if I hadn't watched them, because all the skaters worked really hard to be there. I believe any normal person cannot help but cheer for every skater when watching live, though. I doubt there are many people who enjoy seeing people fall or make mistakes or have meltdowns. Whoever sets foot on the ice, you end up wanting them to do well. Those who don't, to me, probably have bigger issues than being bad fans of the sport. They're probably not very great as people in general. And this coming from someone who actually doesn't follow any other disciplines than men and doesn't really care as much about any other skater than Yuzu. But it's really hard not to respect them all. To me at least.

1 minute ago, shanshani said:

So I keep seeing that Alina's PCS should go up because she's the reigning Olympic gold medalist, but Yuzu's also the reigning Olympic gold medalist, and this hasn't happened to him? In fact his PCS has dropped. I don't think people's PCS should go up because of their gold medalist status, but uh, isn't it kind of strange that the expectation in women's is totally different than the expectation in men's?

Well, the first year when Yuzu got his Sochi gold, he obviously had his PCS advantage against other skaters, too. But his PCS was proven by his skills and fluidity on the ice, he's really at the top. And for Alina, I think she hasn't reached that stage yet to be given an obvious PCS advantage, hence many comments about her PCS scores.

2 minutes ago, Ferrer said:

Well, the first year when Yuzu got his Sochi gold, he obviously had his PCS advantage against other skaters, too. But his PCS was proven by his skills and fluidity on the ice, he's really at the top. And for Alina, I think she hasn't reached that stage yet to be given an obvious PCS advantage, hence many comments about her PCS scores.

Yeah, but some people justify her PCS with her status as reigning OGM. Which, I mean, I guess that might explain it because so much of PCS is in actuality reputation-based rather than reality-based, but that doesn't explain why Yuzu's PCS have gone down when other men haven't dropped very much at all. (Also, the gap in PCS between Nathan, Shoma, and Yuzu right now is less than the score gap between a single well executed versus so-so quad, so it's basically irrelevant to placements between the three now :13877886:) I guess it's just the rule about high PCS only if you're clean--but that seems to disproportionately punish skaters who have maxed-out PCS whereas skaters who haven't don't seem to take the same PCS hit when they're messy, unless they also don't have a reputation/belong to a strong federation. Well, I guess dodgy judging isn't new.

13 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

So out of curiosity I looked at the self-selected country tags of each user (although we only started having the tag like, a couple of months in, so half of the users on PH never filled out a country tag). The tag is what displays your flag underneath your avatar.

It's very interesting, 1481 people have filled out a tag (not including those who chose to leave the field blank), and we are from 88 different countries :D The most number of members are from the United States, but over half of our members are from Asia.

(Long graph is long so click to zoom in.)

Av2h7hX.png

3sUZ2d0.png

I am amazed Indonesia is 2nd, considering... our lack of representative athletes in the sport itself😅... It's either Yuzu's potency or Indonesians' notorious high activity on the internet. I'll take either or both.

I tag NL because I live here now, but I carry the Garuda passport🇮🇩

3 hours ago, Salior said:

From here I read that the ice conditions made it difficult to implement edge jumps. Does anyone knows what this means? Too rough? Rink creation too rushed? Impurities? What's so special about edge jumps for the conditions to affect it? Just wondering if anyone who skates can illustrate the situation. 

Also why though. Like I thought they have a standard to meet for the ice, seems unfair that the ice made so many ladies fall during their event. 

I don’t know whether ISU has rules about it or not but it certainly isn’t the only time the ice has been less than optimal.  GPF 2016 in Marseilles it was very soft - WC 2016 in Boston too iirc.  Given that these are rinks being made/ used solely for figure skating there’s no reason for ice not to be absolutely right.  At the Olympics the rink was being used alternately by speed skating and fs so there was more of an excuse for problems - though I think there it was the speed skaters who found it too hard?  Can’t remember properly - soft for ss, harder for fs, hard for ih?   Or the other was round  :confused:  something like that anyway....

3 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I don’t know whether ISU has rules about it or not but it certainly isn’t the only time the ice has been less than optimal.  GPF 2016 in Marseilles it was very soft - WC 2016 in Boston too iirc.  Given that these are rinks being made/ used solely for figure skating there’s no reason for ice not to be absolutely right.  At the Olympics the rink was being used alternately by speed skating and fs so there was more of an excuse for problems - though I think there it was the speed skaters who found it too hard?  Can’t remember properly - soft for ss, harder for fs, hard for ih?   Or the other was round  :confused:  something like that anyway....

the only excuse I could think of for Helsinki is that they made the rink in a rush, apparently you have to spray water on ice for 1mm, let it harden, then do it again till it hits 5cm.

GPF Marseilles was just bad planning in general lol, should see the list of mishaps haha.