General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, MeowZu said:

Hi, everyone! I'm currently understanding the way FS is being scored and I've got a question. If X skater ticks off all the bullet for a +3 GOE (which is now +5), but only gets +2 or +1, can that be the basis of a score protest?

I'm not sure. I read once that the score protest has to be within hours after the competition ended though. 

42 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Hi, everyone! I'm currently understanding the way FS is being scored and I've got a question. If X skater ticks off all the bullet for a +3 GOE (which is now +5), but only gets +2 or +1, can that be the basis of a score protest?

I looked up ISU's regulations and can't seem to find any basis for that. The thing you can complain on an official level is "anomalies in judges scores and suspected (national) bias." So basically if most judges underscore you (therefore not an "anomaly") I don't think anything can be done... And as far as I know it has to be pretty audaciously obvious for the complain to work, for example a CHN judge scored Boyang's skate with a fall over the world record and got herself banned. But judges' scores varying from +1~+3 on the same jump happens pretty often and is just treated like a difference of opinion. I guess it's because theoretically whether a jump hits some of the bullets is a subjective judgement, though in reality it often has to do with national bias.

(Note that I could be wrong. I just read some files but I don't know any judges or how they actually work. :dancingpooh:)

Here's a link to the said regulations:

https://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/documents-communications/special-regulations-technical-rules/special-regulations-and-technical-rules/17927-single-pair-and-ice-dance-2018/file

14 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

I looked up ISU's regulations and can't seem to find any basis for that. The thing you can complain on an official level is "anomalies in judges scores and suspected (national) bias." So basically if most judges underscore you (therefore not an "anomaly") I don't think anything can be done... And as far as I know it has to be pretty audaciously obvious for the complain to work, for example a CHN judge scored Boyang's skate with a fall over the world record and got herself banned. But judges' scores varying from +1~+3 on the same jump happens pretty often and is just treated like a difference of opinion. I guess it's because theoretically whether a jump hits some of the bullets is a subjective judgement, though in reality it often has to do with national bias.

(Note that I could be wrong. I just read some files but I don't know any judges or how they actually work. :dancingpooh:)

Here's a link to the said regulations:

https://www.isu.org/docman-documents-links/isu-files/documents-communications/special-regulations-technical-rules/special-regulations-and-technical-rules/17927-single-pair-and-ice-dance-2018/file

Thank you for this! So, it has to be a massive overscoring/underscoring for it to be called out. Man, this sport is fcked up. Makes you wonder how much Yuzu has to endure in terms of scoring bias. Like, if only he isn't super good, he would have been written off by the judges' way of scoring. 

2 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Noooo Jack why that interview??? Why Boston?:59227c768286a__s:

2 hours ago, MeowZu said:

Thank you for this! So, it has to be a massive overscoring/underscoring for it to be called out. Man, this sport is fcked up. Makes you wonder how much Yuzu has to endure in terms of scoring bias. Like, if only he isn't super good, he would have been written off by the judges' way of scoring. 

For more ranting about scoring & some info&debate on rules you can give a look here

Ranting about scores is typical pastime of FS fans across fandoms and disciplines and ages, as well as ranting about ISU! :68468287: sadly it's part of the 'True fs experience' :13877886: I always tell myself to be zen about the scoring because getting angry has 0 consequences (other than making me bitter and tired) but..well... it doesn't work (aaaaah how DARED they not give a single full +3 to historic WR H&L?):madwife:

Spoiler

personally I am among those who would like some stricter 'standard' in the rules & common practice of how rules are applied (that is often worse than rules themselves),  to make judges more accountable. But apparently many people in fs (and fs governing bodies) are allergic to standars and would justify almost everything in the name of subjectivity (even when it's plain incompetence or unethic behaviour. Sometimes it's mere lack of technical sources but it shouldn't be reason to forgive, it should be addressed and solved  imo)

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

Hide contents

personally I am among those who would like some stricter 'standard' in the rules & common practice of how rules are applied (that is often worse than rules themselves),  to make judges more accountable. But apparently many people in fs (and fs governing bodies) are allergic to standars and would justify almost everything in the name of subjectivity (even when it's plain incompetence or unethic behaviour. Sometimes it's mere lack of technical sources but it shouldn't be reason to forgive, it should be addressed and solved  imo)

:goe:

I'm already seeing some people validate some of the crazy GOEs we see in juniors. :shrug: Seniors will be crazy.

18 時間前, Anziさんが言いました:

I can't do bike either...still don't know how can a two-wheel thing stand up... 

18 時間前, Fayさんが言いました:

Hmmm, making a bicycle just stand is the hardest thing, so if it rides forward, it’s just very easy! 

A bicycle with two wheels can't stand unless you engage its kickstand. The whole trick is in the glide. Momentum is what keeps it upright so a rider stays up by constantly moving it forward.

9 時間前, WinForPoohさんが言いました:

OT But my mum, too. She used to ride her bike everywhere when she was around 20, and then she didn't for a long time and tried when she was 30 and she just couldn't. Not even wobble along. Just started leaning like the tower of Pisa but unlike the tower, she toppled.

Wow, really? I've heard people saying once you've learned how to ride a bike, it stays with you forever. And since I had little to no trouble staying up after not getting on one for 10 years, I figured it was fact. I guess maybe a decade just wasn't long enough for my muscle memory to fade then. Or maybe, for all its lacking in athleticism, my body's somehow decent with retaining muscle memory. Since the second rationale makes me feel better about myself, I'll go with it. >_<

Oops. Sorry for the OOT.

32 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

A bicycle with two wheels can't stand unless you engage its kickstand. The whole trick is in the glide. Momentum is what keeps it upright so a rider stays up by constantly moving it forward.

Which is basically the same principle that Yuzuru exploits to have that crazy 45° inclination with the ice when he does besties and SE's. No way you can do that by standing still and not fall on your ass, but use the blade well, have balance and momentum, and zac, you tricked physics! 

Please feel free to call me out if I’m going overboard or if this is not the right place to post this, but I just really want to vent re: Misha.

Have you seen his IG post? He said that the music choice of his student was not related to a “certain skater” (Yuzu). The first two times he called out Yuzu fans, I sympathized with him. I understood where he was coming from because some fans really went all out in leaving nasty comments regarding his friendship with Yuzu. But this time around, I don’t think what he posted is necessary. To me, he’s just being petty now. No one even mentioned Yuzu. And to call him a certain skater? Seems to me like he’s bitter, not only to the fans, but even to Yuzu. I hope he really isn’t, but it seemed that way to me. 

7 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Please feel free to call me out if I’m going overboard or if this is not the right place to post this, but I just really want to vent re: Misha.

Have you seen his IG post? He said that the music choice of his student was not related to a “certain skater” (Yuzu). The first two times he called out Yuzu fans, I sympathized with him. I understood where he was coming from because some fans really went all out in leaving nasty comments regarding his friendship with Yuzu. But this time around, I don’t think what he posted is necessary. To me, he’s just being petty now. No one even mentioned Yuzu. And to call him a certain skater? Seems to me like he’s bitter, not only to the fans, but even to Yuzu. I hope he really isn’t, but it seemed that way to me. 

I feel bad that he has to go through it but why can’t he do the Javi approach? Just ignore or block out the one or two negative post. He has a lot of more positive posts then negative. 

The skater* part gets me. That is your friend man. Why bring him up when you know Yuzu don’t like that kind of stuff. 

Just now, Sammie said:

I feel bad that he has to go through it but why can’t he do the Javi approach? Just ignore or block out the one or two negative post. He has a lot of more positive posts then negative. 

The skater* part gets me. That is your friend man. Why bring him up when you know Yuzu don’t like that kind of stuff. 

Same! The skater* part is also what made me sad.

17 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

I just looked at the post and honestly, it seems completely unnecessary and petty (towards fans mostly) and I'm tired of Misha creating drama :shrug:

23 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Yea, saw that one and think he is too dramatic in his response. 

Client choose. Full stop. Should more than enough as an explanation without having to be so defensive and confrontational about it. 

I am more offended on the way they cut the song though. Gosh, that is one sloppy edit.