General Yuzuru Chat

9 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Sorry for multi post in a short time. I just want to share this with you guys. It is written in Japanese but I have put rough translation so it should be okay... 

羽生にフリル衣装は必要か? Is frilled costume necessary for Hanyu?
| 
├ フリル衣装は必要だよ(衣装原理主義)

Frills are necessity (costume fundamentalist) 
│ ├ フリルは絶対必要、フリルが無いのは羽生と認めないよ(超急進派)

Frills are the must, no frills no Hanyu (extremist)
│ ├ フリル衣装の羽生だけが表彰台に上がるべき(序列主義)

Only Hanyu with frills should be on podiums (hierarchist) 
│ ├ フリル衣装の羽生なら後はいいよ(王道派)

As long as there are frills, the rest is fine (main stream) 
│ ├ フリル衣装は羽生の十八番だよ、ロマンだよ(浪漫派)

Frills are the best bits, they make it romantic (romanticist)
│ ├ 2009-10シーズンの羽生はフリル衣装だからこその大躍進だよ(懐古派) 

Frills gave Hanyu a big push in 2009 – 2010 season (old timer)
│ ├ もっと素敵なフリル衣装が見たいなあ(夢想派) 

Want to see more beautiful frilled costumes (dreamer)
│ └ とにかく自分はフリル衣装が好きなんだよ(利己主義) 

I just love frilled costumes and that’s final (egoist)
| 
├ フリル衣装はあった方がいいよ(現状肯定派) 

Vote for frilled costume (conservation)
│ ├ だって実際にフリル衣装は似合うじゃん(単純理論)

It’s true Hanyu looks good in frills (simple theory)
│ ├ フリル衣装着ないとモチベが上がらないかもしれないじゃん(悲観主義) 

What if he doesn’t get motivated without frills? (pessimist)
│ ├ どうせ来シーズンもフリル衣装だよ(楽観主義) 

Frills are in for the next season anyway (optimist)
│ ├ 羽生もフリル衣装を着たいと願ってるはずだよ(心情派) 

I believe Hanyu is wishing to ware frilly one (sentimentalist)
│ ├ 「フリルを着た阿修羅」が使えないじゃん(世俗主義)

No frills? No “Frilly Asura*” then?! (commoners)
│ ├ フリル衣装なら他の選手を油断させられるよ(戦術論派)

Frills can divert competitors’ attention (strategist) 
| 
├ フリルはどっちでもいいよ(中道派) 

Don’t mind frills or not (middle way)
│ ├ フリルでもスケスケじゃない衣装もあるし(懐疑主義)

There are frilled one without see-trough material though (skeptic)
| ├ ビジューがシンプルならいいよ(要素主義)

Frills but with simple bijous are okay (elementalism)
| ├ フリル衣装が似合うのが羽生の特長だよ(個性派)

Looks good in frills is a part of Hanyu’s character (character builder)
| ├ それよりUAの話でもしようよ(練習着重視主義) 

Let’s just talk about UA instead (UA-list)
│ └ とにかく美しい衣装が見たいんだよ(審美主義) 

Just want to see a beautiful costume (aesthetic judge)
| 
├ その前に衣装を検証してみるよ(実証主義) 

Should analyze costumes first (analyst)
│ ├ フリル衣装のクワド確率はこうなってるよ(確率論) 

Stats for quad success rate in frills are here (probability theory)
│ ├ フリル衣装を人類で最初に衣装に取り入れたのは羽生じゃないよ(古文書学派)

The first frilled costume in the history is not worn by Hanyu (paleographer)
| └ ビジューをいかにして落とさないように止めるか(ステファニー・ハンドラー) 

The key is how to glue bijous securely (Stephanie Handler)
| 
├ フリルの衣装を着るには…(指導論) 

How to wear frilled costumes (guidance)
│ ├ デザインはまたジョニーに依頼すればいいよ(保守派)

Let Johnny design it again (conservative)
│ ├ フリルに似合う少し長めの髪型がいいよ(板前反対派) 

Longish hair suits better with frills (no chef’s hair cut)
│ ├ セパレートよりツナギの方がジャンプ跳びやすいよ(ケヴィン派)

Jumpsuit is better for jumping than separate one (Kevin fan)
| 
├ フリル衣装は必要ないよ(フリル衣装否定派) 

No frills necessary for costume (anti-frills)
│ ├ とにかく絶対必要ないよ(超シンプル主義) 

No frills what’s so ever (super simple life)
│ ├ お金がかかるからいらないよ(節約主義)

Frills cost money so no (budget conscious)
│ ├ フリルだけが衣装じゃないよ(ポストモダン派)

There are more to costumes than frills (post-modernist)
│ ├ 他にすることあるだろう(演技原理主義) 

First things first (performance fundamentalist)
│ ├ フリル衣装見てても面白くないよ(快楽主義)

No frills give me thrills (epicurean)
| ├ だってゲイだと思われる(差別主義者) 

They will judge it as gay (biased)
| └ フリルの話したら荒れるもん(2ch依存症) 

Frill talk cause thread to burn! (2ch addict)
| └ パリ散はフリル無しでも100点数超えたじゃん(功利主義) 

PW exceeded 100pt without frills (utilitarian)
| 
└ 羽生にはこれからも期待しているよ(変衣装友の会)

Looking forward to Hany’s future costumes (wired costume enthusiasts)
└ しかしママン衣装のクオリティは凄かったね(古典派)

Indeed, the costumes made by mum were awesome! (antiques lover)

It looks like Yuzu with frills is something that Japanese fanyus are intrigued about for some time.

But in the end, you gotta love him as a whole:10636614:

I think Shomas Blue Turandot costume would look amazing on Yuzu. He looks amazing in sparkling costumes.

One thing I would not like to see on Hanyu is Nathans black scuber diving suit he wore for Nemesis and FS in US nationals in 2018. Hanyu looks best in colorful and sparkling costumes. 

When Yuzu retires, Im hoping Yuzu does a guest appearance on US TV dancing with the stars on ice or jst guest in a big major US Ice show. I wish he could say goodbye to his fans worldwide after he retires..

Hoping the fanyu fandom gets bigger before he retires so they will be enough demand for him to do a world tour of his own ice show.

It will be like a World Tour visiting the major countries his fans are in.

US, canada, europe, russia, china, japan, taiwan, SE Asia(?) Etc. 

9 hours ago, Bilge said:

can't they just upload Yuzu's sp already:1:  I don't want to wait another year:2:  (I already watched all videos but it doesn't feel complete without the olympic channel post)

9 hours ago, Fay said:

It’s kinda uploaded here, as a matter of fact. Or do you want a YT video? 

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/yuzuru-hanyu-and-a-shower-of-bears/

All the figure skating events, including the gala, can be replayed here: 

https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/events/figure-skating--pyeongchang-2018/ 

ETA: men's SP here: https://www.olympicchannel.com/en/playback/figure-skating-mens-short-program/ 

Yuzu's at around 3:23:37 

I won't say to you what Russian Yuzu's haters said abt his skating style bcs it's quite disturbing and chauvinist staff. I just say that many his Russian fans really can see artistry and beauty in his skating, including me. And, yes, what I'm feeling when I watch his skating trully hard to describe. Thank to him once again.

22 hours ago, kaerb said:

Thank you for such a fascinating perspective esp from the perspective of a Japanese person and I’d love to know more! 

I definitely get the sense that in the eyes of his East Asian audiences yuzu’s fierceness in competition offsets the ‘femininity’ of his looks (and when he’s off ice, I agree that its less femininity as boyish playfulness). His mannerisms and way of talking in Japanese are quite manly when he’s not being impeccably polite? 

I’m intrigued about how frills/lace are Western femininity signifiers - any idea how they’re viewed in Japan? Because I think frills on a man in Japan is associated (perhaps due to shoujo manga’s French influences) with ikemen/nobility/refinement/prince-like ideas that Western culture largely grew out of. 

When he interacts with fellow Japanese skaters, he's quite playful, frank and relaxed. The way he calls people with "chan" or "kun" (like Nobu-kun or Shii-chan) indicates they're his friends or someone who's very close to him. But when he's at a press conference, he's very polite and considerate as well as very diplomatic with the words & phrasing he choses to use. I can tell he's wearing suits of armour to withstand the media scrutinies. He is articulate and speak very well over the variety of topics that he's interested in. In fact, I'd love to read his honors thesis when he finishes studying human informatics and cognitive sciences at the uni. He seems an intelligent person so maybe he finally finds more suitable words to describe how to do quads, not shuu, or gun gun gun for spins:13877886: Funny thing is, those words like gun gun gun or zuzaaa is easier to understand and I can tell exactly what he's talking about. If you're a manga reader, you'd know what I mean!

I am not really sure about how frills/lace are viewed in Japan but when you're talking about fs men's costumes, the usual judgement are not so obvious? Don't know any men into men's fs around me so I can't tell, sorry. But if you look at some of the Japanese male figure skater's costumes like Nobu, Daisuke or Mura, there are some varieties and some are quite unique to say the least.

ETA: I've seen quite a few Yuzu press conference after PC and from what I've seen, when Yuzu speaks in those situations, he is quite manly. His speech reminds nothing of his frilly costumes:D Also he refers himself as "boku" (males) or "jibun" (self) usually but I think when he was in junior high school (Y7-Y9), he was using "ore" (male, musculine). You can find some of the Japanese pronouns here

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

When he interacts with fellow Japanese skaters, he's quite playful, frank and relaxed. The way he calls people with "chan" or "kun" (like Nobu-kun or Shizu-chan) indicates they're his friends or someone who's very close to him. But when he's at a press conference, he's very polite and considerate as well as very diplomatic with the words & phrasing he choses to use. I can tell he's wearing suits of armour to withstand the media scrutinies. He is articulate and speak very well over the variety of topics that he's interested in. In fact, I'd love to read his honors thesis when he finishes studying human informatics and cognitive sciences at the uni. He seems an intelligent person so maybe he finally finds more ETA: I've seen quite a few Yuzu press conference after PC and from what I've seen, when Yuzu speaks in those situations, he is quite manly. His speech reminds nothing of his frilly costumes:D Also he refers himself as "boku" (males) or "jibun" (self) usually but I think when he was in junior high school (Y7-Y9), he was using "ore" (male, musculine). You can find some of the Japanese pronouns here

I think I have heard him use 'ore' recently, but only when he's around people he's comfortable with like Nobu or Shouma. I think that's his natural way of speaking, where as 'media Yuzu' is a side of him that he developed over time. 

1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

When he interacts with fellow Japanese skaters, he's quite playful, frank and relaxed. The way he calls people with "chan" or "kun" (like Nobu-kun or Shizu-chan) indicates they're his friends or someone who's very close to him. But when he's at a press conference, he's very polite and considerate as well as very diplomatic with the words & phrasing he choses to use. I can tell he's wearing suits of armour to withstand the media scrutinies. He is articulate and speak very well over the variety of topics that he's interested in. In fact, I'd love to read his honors thesis when he finishes studying human informatics and cognitive sciences at the uni. He seems an intelligent person so maybe he finally finds more suitable words to describe how to do quads, not shuu, or gun gun gun for spins:13877886: Funny thing is, those words like gun gun gun or zuzaaa is easier to understand and I can tell exactly what he's talking about. If you're a manga reader, you'd know what I mean!

I am not really sure about how frills/lace are viewed in Japan but when you're talking about fs men's costumes, the usual judgement are not so obvious? Don't know any men into men's fs around me so I can't tell, sorry. But if you look at some of the Japanese male figure skater's costumes like Nobu, Daisuke or Mura, there are some varieties and some are quite unique to say the least.

ETA: I've seen quite a few Yuzu press conference after PC and from what I've seen, when Yuzu speaks in those situations, he is quite manly. His speech reminds nothing of his frilly costumes:D Also he refers himself as "boku" (males) or "jibun" (self) usually but I think when he was in junior high school (Y7-Y9), he was using "ore" (male, musculine). You can find some of the Japanese pronouns here

Sometimes when you listen to him talking to people he’s comfortable with behind-the-scenes like casual interviewers or other skaters like shoma, he actually does use pretty boyish/manly language. Like っす , みてろ. Listening to him you’d have no doubt he’s your typical young man talking. I was just struck by when he’s talking about his kuyashii esp at TCC during that one docu where he was describing how he felt after Javi won the WC (actually said kuso like goddammit/shit while describing his inner frustration) or during GPF15 he was like ‘俺だぞ’ (ore dazo!) i know he was half joking but it feels like his inner dialogue is quite typically masculine and even above average levels of...hm. Domineering/intense. But yes, he reverts to politeness like armour in front of the media.

Re: costumes, it’s interesting I guess because frills/lace definitely does get a pass on manliness when they’re ‘costumes’, but if you look at western skaters skating to ‘period’ pieces (eg. Les Mis, POTO...though admittedly I can’t think of too many recently who have done it), their costumes still tend to reflect the current trends (ie. relatively clean cut suits/no frills). I think Japanese ‘takes’ on these pieces tend to be slightly more traditional (mostly thinking of Mitsuki Sumoto’s costumes).

16 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

Isnt Yuzu the first skater to be knwn for carrying a plushie tissue case to every event? Now zhenya and zagitova have plushie tissue cases too lol.

:LOL:To the person who first gave yuzu the pooh tissue case. You are one lucky fan. 

iirc it was Nanami sensei who gave him the Pooh tissue case. But the fan who gave him the Strawberry Shortcake tissue case is very lucky indeed :10636614:

6 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

I think I have heard him use 'ore' recently, but only when he's around people he's comfortable with like Nobu or Shouma. I think that's his natural way of speaking, where as 'media Yuzu' is a side of him that he developed over time. 

I agree. 'boku' sounds softer than 'ore' and is suitable for neutral/formal occasion but among his friends and families, he'd probably use 'ore' which is  norm for boys/men of his age.

6 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Sometimes when you listen to him talking to people he’s comfortable with behind-the-scenes like casual interviewers or other skaters like shoma, he actually does use pretty boyish/manly language. Like っす , みてろ. Listening to him you’d have no doubt he’s your typical young man talking. I was just struck by when he’s talking about his kuyashii esp at TCC during that one docu where he was describing how he felt after Javi won the WC (actually said kuso like goddammit/shit while describing his inner frustration) or during GPF15 he was like ‘俺だぞ’ (ore dazo!) i know he was half joking but it feels like his inner dialogue is quite typically masculine and even above average levels of...hm. Domineering/intense. But yes, he reverts to politeness like armour in front of the media.

Yes. Yuzu often sounds more like a wild man than a little prince during competitions. He said he consider himself as a character in spo-kon (sporting spirits) manga world. Blood, sweat and tears are big part of his world. But I am really puzzled to think that his inner self is so masculine yet frills are a part of his costume. He really fascinates me:tumblr_inline_mp4i2vHXDy1qz4rgp: 

6 minutes ago, kaerb said:

Re: costumes, it’s interesting I guess because frills/lace definitely does get a pass on manliness when they’re ‘costumes’, but if you look at western skaters skating to ‘period’ pieces (eg. Les Mis, POTO...though admittedly I can’t think of too many recently who have done it), their costumes still tend to reflect the current trends (ie. relatively clean cut suits/no frills). I think Japanese ‘takes’ on these pieces tend to be slightly more traditional (mostly thinking of Mitsuki Sumoto’s costumes).

I think we have a thread for costumes so if we want to carry on about frills or costumes, maybe we should move there...?

18 minutes ago, kaerb said:

or during GPF15 he was like ‘俺だぞ’ (ore dazo!) 

i remember acting all shocked about that too. Like you say, i didn't expect him to be that intense and masculine when talking to himself. and tbh just made me fall harder

I love how he calls Shizuka "Shi-chan", this dork:tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

23 minutes ago, VyVy99 said:

iirc it was Nanami sensei who gave him the Pooh tissue case. But the fan who gave him the Strawberry Shortcake tissue case is very lucky indeed :10636614:

Who ever said Nanami sensei isn't a fanyu? :muahaha:

24 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I totally agree- Yuzu's speech reveals a lot about what 'side' he's showing at any given point of time.

Media Yuzu is calm, witty and no-nonsense

:8:

Yuzu talking about his fans is sweet 

:space:

Yuzu around his friends is a typical 23 year old who likes to be wild and tease his kouhais

:9:

And kuyashii Yuzu is... Well he's a whole different beast 

:yznotimpressed: