General Yuzuru Chat

The funny thing is, Yuzu first caught my attention exactly because of his aesthetics. Sparkles and all. I came to get attached to him because these aesthetics were matched by amazing talent and an interesting dichotomy to his personality (the soft and sweet and the alpha conqueror).

1 hour ago, yuzupon said:

Re: not being able to do 2A because of his 3A, but he can do a beautiful 1A. :sign0001:

Especially that amazing spread eagle-1A with positive GOE at the WTT FS  :rofl:

26 minutes ago, xeyra said:

The funny thing is, Yuzu first caught my attention exactly because of his aesthetics. Sparkles and all. I came to get attached to him because these aesthetics were matched by amazing talent and an interesting dichotomy to his personality (the soft and sweet and the alpha conqueror).

Yuzuru is not my type. It's the Pooh that caught me... lol 

28 minutes ago, xeyra said:

I'm enjoying the twitter sarcastic commentary about these comments on Yuzu's 'fragility'. 

This is the Literal Truth. In one of my country's FS forums there's a former-skater-on-national-team posting, and when people ask him whether our lady skater's UR problem is due to her being so thin, he replied that "She looks thin as a leaf but she can easily take down an adult man in physical combat. Every ounce on her is muscle." Now imagine that with a young man in his prime years:coffee:

I can see why you could call Yuzu's style "feminine" : his flexibility and delicate grace, the Biellman, the Ina Bauer, some of his costumes... yes there is something "feminine" in his skating. As long as it's not meant as something bad, it's okay for me.

That's why I don't find Trankhov's comment offensive - of course he comes from a macho society (and, I mean, have you seen Trankov with all his manly manly physique ?) and he likes Javi's style better - but he doesn't despise the other skaters in this interview, he just says he likes Javi's masculine style better. In fact, at another point in the same interview, he says watching Yuzu practicing in ice shows is super impressive and that it's a major appeal for participating in ice shows in Japan.

The problem is for people implying that, for a man, feminine = bad, masculine = good. THAT is wrong.

(and, I've said it several time, but for me Yuzu is more androgynous, and it's one of the many reasons I find him fascinating - that, and the fact that he seems to assume it 100 % when he's on the ice in his R&J 2 frills XD)

Edit : Ah, @wombat-poodle had said the same, and better, before me :)

7 minutes ago, yuzuuu said:

:rofl:omg same, I'm not a huge fan of kpop but I do have groups I like and I have to say yuzu is like highly manly already if compared. No one seems to have problem with kpop idols, why yuzu who's an athlete (which like you said requires so much strength), actually not just an athlete but a top athlete ?

TBH!!! For someone like yuzu who's asthmatic to be the top athlete in fs where you need a LOT of strenght and stamina is already amazing enough:sadPooh:

1 minute ago, meoima said:

I mean... I don't follow Kei Nishikori career and I have not much interest in tennis. So I can't tell who he is in person.

But I have followed football (or soccer if you're American), and I have to say: THERE ARE MANY MACHO GUYS WITH MUCH MUCH BETTER LOOKS (like 100000% lol) than that. I mean, football players with handsome looks are not rare. Lol

Kei Nishikori's gummy smile really chases me away if you want to ask me to judge people just by their looks. 

Gummy smile aside, Nishikori looks rather ordinary. I don't think he's particularly handsome.

But sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder. When I first came to know of Yuzuru, I thought he was ~sort of~ cute but a bit weird looking. Like his neck was too long to be real and his chin was bit odd? But I really like Yuzu as a person and because of that I am endeared to his face. I think he's super cute now. Maybe Nishikori's fans think he's hot because they just like him as a person / athlete.

1 minute ago, meoima said:

I mean... I don't follow Kei Nishikori career and I have not much interest in tennis. So I can't tell who he is in person.

But I have followed football (or soccer if you're American), and I have to say: THERE ARE MANY MACHO GUYS WITH MUCH MUCH BETTER LOOKS (like 100000% lol) than that. I mean, football players with handsome looks are not rare. Lol

Kei Nishikori's gummy smile really chases me away if you want to ask me to judge people just by their looks. 

haha yep yep, what I mean is he looks like a typical playboy but personality wise I don't know. In any case, I've seen his type so much I really don't think he looks good looking. I honestly don't follow much sport to know as well, but I'm sure there are much better looking guys. Gummy smile ain't a problem for me but yep.

Nishikori is cute, objectively. There are many forms of beauty, and all kinds of tastes, you don't have to decide which kind is better than another, and that's a good thing !

I need to know more about people's personality to find them attractive. But based on looks alone, yeah, I can totally see the appeal for Nishikori.

Just now, ralucutzagy said:

Kei Nishikori is a top ten tennis player, with great speed and amazing tennis skills, a complete tennis player. In his sport beauty is irrelevant! I'm a big fan of his way of playing tennis! :love:

With sportsmen, especially men, you do not have to look good to be famous. Many top sportsmen are not that easy to the eye so... Just I find it very funny when they call these famous sportsmen as hot just because they are famous and rich... cause.... welll...  I would not call Tiger Woods as hot lol. 

51 minutes ago, meoima said:

Sorry for being late, has this been shared before? http://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/yuzuru-hanyu-wins-male-athlete-marriage-poll-receives-mixed-results-online/75231/

It seems many people dislike Yuzuru commented there. :trustno1: oh well... FS is really not considered serious by the mass. 

I agree with the comment #15 lmao if Yuzuru gets married, the fans meltdown would be hilarious to watch  :smiley-excited001:

but then I followed JPop before and GirlsChannel users are basically Nate users in Korea. They're full of hate and really need to get a life :hachimaki:

:offtopic:they should have picked a better pic for Nishikori :yznotimpressed:

So many talks about Kei Nishikori, so I had to google him - I don't want to read the marriage article. :ohno: is my reaction. Not that his look has anything to do with his apparent achievements.

Yuzu's sparkly costumes literally hurt my eyes (and give me headaches when I watch too much of his program - photophobia :smiley-sick030: ), and he is what in my country will be called " klimis", towards which I am generally indifferent. But he is beautiful, and I don't think there is anything wrong with a man being beautiful. Or feminine, if you will. The fragility of the patriarchal-induced masculinity is why this can be something negative in the eyes of some people.

And what does that have to do with the athleticism and artistry of a figure skater, anyway? I feel like the society's attitude towards FS in general is stuck in the dark ages. :shrug:

FS has started breaking free from uptight gender roles, and skaters who do not portray traditional gender-stereotype style has made it and dominated, like how Yuzuru wins and dominates the men's field this quad (thought I'd argue there are skaters long before him who display non-tranditional masculine style too); my personal favorite is how gabrielle daleman can be on the world's podium despite not having the typical feminine style and portray strength and power in her skating. That said, of course there will still be a handful of people being quite conservative about it, and they are usually the loudest. :coffee:

I guess what bothers me is not Yuzu being called feminine. He is somewhat feminine in his on-ice aesthetics, and some of his best personality traits, like being gentle & considerate, are considered feminine (though that's ofc very stereotypical.). What's bothersome is people talking about it like it's shameful and in disrespectful ways. What's most saddening is that  they jump to the conclusion that being "feminine" is mutually exclusive with having "macho" traits like toughness and reliability. Every time I see comments like that, I feel insulted as a female.