General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, mcq said:

FS has started breaking free from uptight gender roles, and skaters who do not portray traditional gender-stereotype style has made it and dominated, like how Yuzuru wins and dominates the men's field this quad (thought I'd argue there are skaters long before him who display non-tranditional masculine style too); my personal favorite is how gabrielle daleman can be on the world's podium despite not having the typical feminine style and portray strength and power in her skating. That said, of course there will still be a handful of people being quite conservative about it, and they are usually the loudest. :coffee:

Johnny Weir, for example.

I like how Yuzuru once said he wants to be a skater with the qualities of both Johnny Weir and Plushenko. They're very different skaters but Yuzuru does not limit himself. 

33 minutes ago, yuzuuu said:

no youre not alone, I don't find him handsome at all, looks like the typical playboy type I have everywhere in my school. :happy0007:Yuzu is truly special in terms of everything.

... at first glance I thought yuzuru would be on the playboy side but he is actually just fluffy (?) when I get to know him more:studsmatta:

my mom always said I like someone with a feminine look I guess it's true but myself think the ones I like are manly lol

different standards by different people I think

and watching parisian walkways and R&J1 makes me realize he has actually such a rocker personality.. love him more hahah

34 minutes ago, meoima said:

and it is funny but I have to say, in the list of those male athletes, Yuzuru is truly striking and more like an artist than an athletes if they judge by the looks only.

The rest are typical sportsmen. Not that there is anything wrong with it. They are sportsmen and people can tell them right away. I like that Yuzuru's looks fool people. He is the best example of: "Do not judge someone by their looks". Lol 

BTW... am I the only one who find Kei Nishikori not handsome at all (I mean he is NOT easy to the eyes by average Asian standard). Nishikori has a gummy smile. And I do not know how people here think, but in my country, a gummy smile is highly unattractive. 

To be fair, they picked a bad pic of him and well he looks handsome on the tennis court. In tennis, even for girls, we have this "beauty on court" phrase. Tennis players usually look handsome and pretty on the court, but outside the court, they look unappealing lol

but then I am his fan (he's the only current Asian man to be that good and he's kinda cute on court), so my judgment is super biased. 

Yuzu on the other hand, looks like an idol :0009: especially in that an an pic, who would have thought he's an athlete with those muscles  :happy0007:

1 minute ago, gummybear said:

gotta I agree... at first glance I thought he would be on the playboy side but he is just fluffy (?) when I get to know him more:studsmatta:

my mom always said I like someone with a feminine look I guess it's true but myself think the ones I like is manly lol

different standards by different people I think

and watching parisian walkways and R&J1 makes me realize he has actually such a rocker personality.. love him more hahah

heyy my mum said the same thing but I feel the same way as you :happy0007:

10 minutes ago, PomeloPooh said:

I guess what bothers me is not Yuzu being called feminine. He is somewhat feminine in his on-ice aesthetics, and some of his best personality traits, like being gentle & considerate, are considered feminine (though that's ofc very stereotypical.). What's bothersome is people talking about it like it's shameful and in disrespectful ways. What's most saddening is that  they jump to the conclusion that being "feminine" is mutually exclusive with having "macho" traits like toughness and reliability. Every time I see comments like that, I feel insulted as a female.

The most amusing comment in that article was the one that said 'oh, I like him as a figure skater but I don't see him as male'. Or that they can only see him as 'a girl'. I mean, be it for me to equate having the proper genitalia as the same as your gender identity, but he both has a dick and identifies as a man, so he is a male? Even if he were to not be straight, he'd still be a male? 

Then I remember these comments are from Japanese people(?) and there seems to be a lot of stereotypes about gender roles, identity and sexual orientation still left in that country.

2 minutes ago, b138oo said:

To be fair, they picked a bad pic of him and well he looks handsome on the tennis court. In tennis, even for girls, we have this "beauty on court" phrase. Tennis players usually look handsome and pretty on the court, but outside the court, they look unappealing lol

but then I am his fan (he's the only current Asian man to be that good and he's kinda cute on court), so my judgment is super biased. 

Yuzu on the other hand, looks like an idol :0009: especially in that an an pic, who would have thought he's an athlete with those muscles  :happy0007:

I have seen Kei Nishikori in other media and I actually think they picked a very good photo of him. Had they picked the photo in which he smiled... :free-fighting-smileys-156:

Anyway, I grew up watching football where many good players are handsome, so I am not new to macho men looking bloody with sweats (literally). I do think, men in sports do not need to look handsome or attractive. For example, Messi is not handsome by any means, he is just a guy-next-door but he is sooooo talented and so rich.... so in general, looks in men sport do not matter much.

17 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Then I remember these comments are from Japanese people(?) and there seems to be a lot of stereotypes about gender roles, identity and sexual orientation still left in that country.

Honestly, it's those comments were from Japanese that surprise me the most. There is no need for all  Japanese people to support Yuzuru and think he is this or that. It is normal not to like him. But to call him not a man. It is not just prejudiced but also disrespectful to a person regardless of who they are, famous or not. But anyway, nasty people are everywhere. 

I have been in kpop fandom for years and these kind of comments appear almost everyday. Well, I bet if those people see Yuzu in real life, they would be the first one who run to him and ask for a sign :smiley-sad030:

I think the patriarchal system/ideology (?) in Japan is still quite strong, which maybe the reason why some believe man should be masculine to be powerful?

And I remember back in the times some people would just deem jpop stars as "flower boys" and they have no talents except being good-looking...

This kind of situation is similar to Yuzu's ... I guess.

(I confess that at first I thought Yuzu's popular because he's good-looking..... but it turned out that I was wrong..... lol sorry, please forgive me yuzu-kun!)

7 minutes ago, gummybear said:

(I confess that at first I thought Yuzu's popular because he's good-looking..... but it turned out that I was wrong..... lol sorry, please forgive me yuzu-kun!)

I mean, I won't deny it doesn't hurt! 

8 minutes ago, gummybear said:

I think the patriarchal system/ideology (?) in Japan is still quite strong, which maybe the reason why some believe man should be masculine to be powerful?

And I remember back in the times some people would just deem jpop stars as "flower boys" and they have no talents except being good-looking...

This kind of situation is similar to Yuzu's ... I guess.

I think yuzu does have a masculine side to him, but because he's also not afraid to show femininity, some people with rigid gender roles engrained in their minds can't process how that can be possible. So they think he's not masculine, or completely feminine. Truth is, he has both, he's a complex person.

(me too, at first i thought yuzu's main draw was that he looked like some fresh faced idol. at that time i had no clue about anything in figure skating.)

5 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

We must admit that in FS, to be beautiful  (beside being technically and artistically good) it's a +3!!:love:

There are so many beautiful/hot people in FS, both ladies and men. Seems to be a sport that attracts a lot of pretty people.

1 hour ago, meoima said:

Sorry for being late, has this been shared before? http://aramajapan.com/news/gossip/yuzuru-hanyu-wins-male-athlete-marriage-poll-receives-mixed-results-online/75231/

It seems many people dislike Yuzuru commented there. :trustno1: oh well... FS is really not considered serious by the mass. 

These comments are from girlschannel and anonymous posters there basically trash everyone who is beautiful :smiley-talk024: