General Yuzuru Chat

15 minutes ago, yude said:

Sorry for interrupting the conversation, this article is totally all false and now I know why the editor of Wiki thought the flag bearer was going to be Sara.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/01/23/olympics/winter-olympics/sara-takanashi-replace-noriaki-kasai-flag-bearer-opening-ceremony/#.Wml0p2nFLIW

So, all I want to say is...we better watch out the Japan times and Kyodo articles. I won't say their information is all wrong, but they confused us about Yuzuru's injury last year, and this article is just...all wrong :facepalm:

Happy to know Yuzuru's been doing well, thank you PJ!!

I'm guessing it's related to the delicate nuances of Japanese language, that can completely change the meaning of a text if one doesn't pay close attention... (or have enough experience to figure out)... Personally, I find it very annoying that media sources generally  quoted even by western media, like Japan times and English Kyodo have issues like this (and as far as I'm aware, they never went back to correct articles that had wrong information, either), when they're supposed to be trustworthy and professional. Yes, Japanese is a difficult language, but still!

Sorry about the rant and thank you very much for pointing that out! While it shouldn't mean we automatically dismiss anything they publish, it does help to know which articles we should take with a grain of salt!

As for the earlier subject of swimming, we've discussed it before (who knows how many hundreds of pages before, though >_>; ) and aside from the very low body fat=hard time floating, the subject of swimming - particularly in swimming pools where chloride levels can be an issue - being potentially problematic for asthmatics also came up. Bottom line is we don't know, but I think his wording was he can't swim, which could mean that he learned how to swim, but staying afloat takes too much effort to be worth it, or he never learned to, so he can't, either way. (I'd have to double check that, though, as it's just from memory)

7 hours ago, souyouki said:

Although I'm thinking, from the memories of all the high school anime I've watched:

They have swimming lessons in gym class, right? Did Yuzu get exempted from those in high school or did he have to suck it up and swim (albeit in shallow water) anyways?

(Also, if my memory serves me correctly, the TCC has a pool.)

If those swimming classes happened only over course of one year, it's possible  he skipped them because of commuting to and from Canada and he was allowed to drop the least important subjects (I remember that we could avoid all PE if we wrote  a few pages paper on health and sport being connected to each other, not that he would be pleased) . In his second year...well, first Tohoku 2011, then he was jumping Japan from one end to the other for the shows and that would eat up his Spring trimester in which I think he was the most active in studying. Then the season started but I don't know if the sports facilities of the school were reconstructed by that time... in his first year of HS it would be probably the dance to acommodate Senior skater schedule with the school although with sports-oriented one it shouldn't be a problem...unless he learned that swimming causes irriitation which affects his performance/stamina which was his weakest point for a long time. Again, I might be putting too much importance on a 'sports-oriented'  but if the school wanted results from its' students, they would probably allow a slight absence during the pool oriented lessons (which probably annoyed perfectionist Yuzu to no ends, bc c'mon, he's finally a Senior, and they again cut him slack because of something else xD)

7 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Speed-crutch-walking was his aerobic training. :P We have reports of the first stage in the airport. He must've set records by the time he got off them.

Arm quads are coming then xP

Seriously tho, why we even think he was away from any practice for the whole month? Brian did point out in one of the Japanese interviews that Yuzu has been doing much more off-ice conditioning than in previous years, so as long as they could avoid offending his ankle, they might just've continued with that, and January serves more as a repeaking training/getting back the feel of the programs...

7 hours ago, Sammie said:

Give him all the hugs he needs.  :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

The sniper got moved by the sight of his boss being for once treated according to his age, so he decided 'to heck, none important info has been shared'. Meanwhile residents of Planet Hanyu rejoice...

5 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

Good, that does confirm that his foot hasn't fallen off, which would've been one reason for all the secrecy. Good. That's good.

Yay for positive scenarios dried cactuses come up with! 

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

So Yuzu's character and life keep conditioning him for a champion... and I'm actually amazed at that using consciously part, if I feel bad I think bad, regardless of what I say to myself...Also, I probably shouldn't bring that up, but is this a subtle answer of Yuzu's Alma Mater to Chukyo? Without answering, without criticizing, just showing a big smiling nope in their face...

4 minutes ago, MrPudding said:
  Hide contents

spoiler this thing might ruin your mood ...

Spoiler

Meh, after that analysis, we know better than to pay attention to anything he says. But as Iron_Klaus pointed out, the one who will least want to take out the 4Lz is Yuzu himself. It's just sad that people with such a background, that gives them apparent credibility, can spout crap like this. But maybe he actually believes what he says... (I'm sure Shoma is embarrassed on their behalf, though... I feel bad for him when things like this happen, that look like people in 'his camp' attacking Yuzu (even if they're not).)

1 hour ago, MrPudding said:
  Reveal hidden contents

spoiler this thing might ruin your mood ...

Spoiler

Lol this professor should have the responsability of not spilling out bullsh*t which is out of his area of expertise... but then again, maybe his area of expertise is exactly that c: 

(Please don't take this as angry personal bashing, I'm joking. I mean, sometimes stupidity is so objective, I guess it's even useless to point it out.)

15 時間前, yudeさんが言いました:

Flag bearer is Kasai (and yes, he deserves it!!). Sara hold the flag in the inauguration ceremony yesterday on behalf of him because he was out of country, and I think the editor of Wiki misunderstood that situation. 

7 時間前, yudeさんが言いました:

Sorry for interrupting the conversation, this article is totally all false and now I know why the editor of Wiki thought the flag bearer was going to be Sara.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2018/01/23/olympics/winter-olympics/sara-takanashi-replace-noriaki-kasai-flag-bearer-opening-ceremony/#.Wml0p2nFLIW

So, all I want to say is...we better watch out the Japan times and Kyodo articles. I won't say their information is all wrong, but they confused us about Yuzuru's injury last year, and this article is just...all wrong :facepalm:

Happy to know Yuzuru's been doing well, thank you PJ!!

Thanks! Yeah, I saw the news earlier today and realized the error in the wiki page I sourced the info from. Thanks for setting things straight in here. ^_^

13 時間前, swanbeauさんが言いました:

Just gonna drop in n say an extra week of training time is not 'measly', its actually a lot, and he needs to be in perfect condition to compete in the individual event. Doing team event decrease the training time he can get and I'm a bit doubtful about his stamina since he didnt train for like a month. I think if he's doing team event at all then it might be the free skate, if Japan can qualify. 

I get the benefits of doing a competition before the single, but doing it in not-so-perfect condition just to get competition-ice-time is such a waste when he could use it to train to get back to his fit form. And imo he'll still feel the nervousness of Olympic either way. Its not like doing TE guaranteed his mental condition being great on both days of the single event. It could help, but we don't know. 

This is from the perspective that he kinda /needs/ the training time though. If he's already back to his fit form now n throwing clean skates on runthrough after runthrough then doing TE will only help him. I guess thats what they're waiting for, his condition. It all depends on that.

It may not seem measly if he's not on form enough to compete by the time the team event rolls around. But  it still kinda does because if he's not on form enough for the team, he's not going to be on form enough for the individual because I don't imagine that small amount of time will make a yawning difference in how much more physically on form he would be, in which case he will ultimately have to depend more heavily on his mental strength than usual. Which on a good day would be an impenetrable vault, a calm sea of quiet determination and a rock solid base. And something akin to overcooked noodles spilling over the sides and onto the table on a bad one. Whether or not he skips, but especially if he does since his mind would be bearing the burden of having to dive straight into the ultimate event after a long absence, I just hope the 16th and 17th would turn out to be consecutive good mental days for him. It's something I wish harder for him than simply the clean skates he so badly wants to put out. Because without the former, there won't be the latter.

It'd be the ultimate test for him, much more so than if he's able to skate the TE, and if this turns out to be the scenario, I hope he passes with flying colors, like he's done a considerable number of times in other tests he's had to go through before.