General Yuzuru Chat

5 minutes ago, wombat-poodle said:

I have found that where a skater enters the Lutz jump with a Loop-like entry (legs crossed like an X), it's likely that they are a flutzer. The entry seems to be a common technique for making it easier to maintain the outside edge until takeoff, although it's not foolproof. Usually I watch for a subtle, quick movement of the general ankle area just before takeoff to identify flutzes. 

Every day I realize that figure skating deserves so much more respect than it gets.

My eyes need to get quicker.

4 hours ago, WinForPooh said:

He does have an excellent edge. This is part of why I get so annoyed with flutzers and lippers. I'm not nearly good enough to figure out which jump is which without textbook technique. What am I supposed to make of flutzes and lips? Why won't these figure skaters (who spend the primes of their lives trying to become the best they can possibly be at doing things I cannot even imagine doing) be more considerate to me and my dilemmas?

Back when Yuzu was a lipper, I confused his 3F with 3Lz.  In his FS, his repeated jumps were 3A and 3Lz, so I was like "why are there 3  3Lz in this program? Doesn't that violate the zayak rule?"

40 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Every day I realize that figure skating deserves so much more respect than it gets.

My eyes need to get quicker.

I need quicker eyes too. I remember spending hours looking at slow-mo gif to learn the differences between jumps. 

I find the toe jumps easier to identify because you can usually see the edges before takeoff. I'm getting better at distinguishing between 4S and 4Lo, but since Yuzu skates so fast, a lot of times I know because I knew the layout before hand. 

And then there's skaters who rotate in the opposite direction. I'm new to figure skating, so I don't know who does that prior to their skate. That is when I start confusing toe-loops with lutzes and flips. :shrug:

After these jumps, I'm now slowly trying to identify steps and turns. I need ultrafast eyes for this, especially for Yuzu's skate. >__<

46 minutes ago, singcarcom said:

Back when Yuzu was a lipper, I confused his 3F with 3Lz.  In his FS, his repeated jumps were 3A and 3Lz, so I was like "why are there 3  3Lz in this program? Doesn't that violate the zayak rule?"

I need quicker eyes too. I remember spending hours looking at slow-mo gif to learn the differences between jumps. 

I find the toe jumps easier to identify because you can usually see the edges before takeoff. I'm getting better at distinguishing between 4S and 4Lo, but since Yuzu skates so fast, a lot of times I know because I knew the layout before hand. 

And then there's skaters who rotate in the opposite direction. I'm new to figure skating, so I don't know who does that prior to their skate. That is when I start confusing toe-loops with lutzes and flips. :shrug:

After these jumps, I'm now slowly trying to identify steps and turns. I need ultrafast eyes for this, especially for Yuzu's skate. >__<

The loop and sal make very different shapes at the entry to the jump so it's not as difficult - loop looks like an X, sal looks like an A.  Though yes, I have a bone to pick with the skaters who for the toe loop use the whole damn edge instead of just the toe and then pre-rotate, too, because then it confuses me again. Without really good technique, a lot of jumps blur into each other to the noob eyes. :/ That can't be good for the sport. There really should be stricter judging so they don't all one day merge into just one confusing jump. And the axel.

Did Yuzu get a lot of edge calls? Was judging stricter then?

And zayak rule should have an Nobu subsection - when you get your combo invalidated, most probably with a third toe loop.

59 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

It still feels too far :sadPooh: 

But think of it this way... it gives him more time to practice <3

Unrelated, I have seen people discussing him putting the 3Lz first to increase his base value because he is backloading more valuable jumps. But to me it is obviously supposed to be a quad :confused: 

Hopefully we will soon get past the milestone of including the 4Lz and people will move on to saying different nonsensical things... 

1 hour ago, Sammie said:

I have a question... why isn't Yuzu in the Japan open? :thanks:

Probably because he usually does ACI which is close to the Japan Open and more convenient for him not to have to fly to Japan. Plus the JO is FS-only so he won't get a chance to practice the SP, and it doesn't give ranking points (not sure if he cares much about those anyway).

Maybe they don't invite him because it's basically a cheesefest and they may not pay him enough either. 

20 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Probably because he usually does ACI which is close to the Japan Open and more convenient for him not to have to fly to Japan. Plus the JO is FS-only so he won't get a chance to practice the SP, and it doesn't give ranking points (not sure if he cares much about those anyway).

Maybe they don't invite him because it's basically a cheesefest and they may not pay him enough either. 

Thank you for answering. So he doesn't have to go. Fine by me. Lol. :smile: