General Yuzuru Chat

9 minutes ago, turquoiseblue said:

now that is some blatant click-baiting! :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

It's like "come on team! Stretch those imaginations! How can we make this news related to Yuzuru Hanyu in some obscure way??? All we need is his name in the title, everyone will click on it!!"

5 minutes ago, OonsieHui said:

It's like "come on team! Stretch those imaginations! How can we make this news related to Yuzuru Hanyu in some obscure way??? All we need is his name in the title, everyone will click on it!!"

It's also a bit sad that for all of Nomura Mansai's accomplishments, it's his relation to Yuzu - which isn't even that big - that gets pointed out first... >_< It would have been something else if in the article, they pointed out "BTW, Seimei bla bla Yuzuru Hanyu bla bla", but in the title it's pretty... >_<

3 時間前, kaerythさんが言いました:

:offtopic: (but this is so cool..)

1 時間前, turquoiseblueさんが言いました:

1 時間前, OonsieHuiさんが言いました:

1 時間前, KatjaTheraさんが言いました:

It's also a bit sad that for all of Nomura Mansai's accomplishments, it's his relation to Yuzu - which isn't even that big - that gets pointed out first... >_< It would have been something else if in the article, they pointed out "BTW, Seimei bla bla Yuzuru Hanyu bla bla", but in the title it's pretty... >_<

Meanwhile, I'm just glad that the events will get the classy and culturally deep treatment they deserve and not what they would have gotten had the job gone to that fellow who produces all those ABC123 idol groups.

Had this been anything else less-related to Hanyu, I might have been more inclined to agree fully with the above sentiments but given that these are the Olys and in Japan, it's pretty much synonymous with Hanyu at the moment, plus the fact that he won PC with a program Mansai inspired, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to use his name as a lead-in. I'm wondering if Mansai's ties with Hanyu and his Olympic winning FS isn't a part of the reason behind his appointment, actually.

They'll probably be considered even without Hanyu in the picture but I'm wondering if Hisaishi and Umebayashi are among the shortlist of composers JOC is considering to approach. Or have they decided on someone already? Oh no, it's not the ABC123 dude, is it? Cos I heard he's a composer, too. Please, please, pleeeeeease say isn't so T.T

1 時間前, Sammieさんが言いました:

Lol. He was beaten in almost every category (tho he was doing pretty good for some of them despite not really actively making appearances on those other mediums) until his Twitter explosion basically blasted everyone else into the stratosphere. >_< And aside from his legion of faceless fans, I'm pretty certain that Gallagher and the Olympic Channel were far-from-insubstantial contributing factors...

45 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Meanwhile, I'm just glad that the events will get the classy and culturally deep treatment they deserve and not what they would have gotten had the job gone to that fellow who produces all those ABC123 idol groups.

Had this been anything else less-related to Hanyu, I might have been more inclined to agree fully with the above sentiments but given that these are the Olys and in Japan, it's pretty much synonymous with Hanyu at the moment, plus the fact that he won PC with a program Mansai inspired, I don't think it's unreasonable to want to use his name as a lead-in. I'm wondering if Mansai's ties with Hanyu and his Olympic winning FS isn't a part of the reason behind his appointment, actually.

They'll probably be considered even without Hanyu in the picture but I'm wondering if Hisaishi and Umebayashi are among the shortlist of composers JOC is considering to approach. Or have they decided on someone already? Oh no, it's not the ABC123 dude, is it? Cos I heard he's a composer, too. Please, please, pleeeeeease say isn't so T.T

Spoiler

I'm pleasantly surprised since they focused on games, anime, and technology in their closing at Rio. And while it's cool and I have nothing against it, more focus in Japanese culture and history is my favorite idea.

We should create a thread for discussing the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (or maybe we already do?). Despite my love for some jpop groups (mainly idols) I kind of hope they leave them out, or keep them as ambassadors only, unless Tokyo goes the Beijing route and have their stars including top idols sing a similar Welcome to Beijing song (which they already kind of have similar projects with Hana wa Saku, but Beijing also has 2022 so maybe not a good idea). Idols are mainstream, but I guess I'm just more conservative. Also, not here for the idol fanwars and idol hype like there was for Pyeongchang.

53 分, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

Reveal hidden contents

I'm pleasantly surprised since they focused on games, anime, and technology in their closing at Rio. And while it's cool and I have nothing against it, more focus in Japanese culture and history is my favorite idea.

We should create a thread for discussing the 2020 Tokyo Olympics (or maybe we already do?). Despite my love for some jpop groups (mainly idols) I kind of hope they leave them out, or keep them as ambassadors only, unless Tokyo goes the Beijing route and have their stars including top idols sing a similar Welcome to Beijing song (which they already kind of have similar projects with Hana wa Saku, but Beijing also has 2022 so maybe not a good idea). Idols are mainstream, but I guess I'm just more conservative. Also, not here for the idol fanwars and idol hype like there was for Pyeongchang.

!!! Sorry! I just realized I came off sounding like a jerk, especially to those who enjoy the genre. I hope I didn't offend you too much. I have nothing against Akimoto. In fact, I think he did and is still doing a fantastic job (I think he does it so much better than ol' Johnny...sorry to those who enjoy the bands under his jimusho but...yeah) and his songwriting skills are legit, almost right up there with his producing ones, but I don't think his brand of culture should be used to dominant effect in something like the Olys. Like, even as dominant as kpop was as a theme at PC, the traditional elements were equally as strong, if not more so. While I think there should be some pop elements at the Tokyo events to represent the fun and bubblier aspects of Japan's modern culture, I'm hoping the overarching theme for the Tokyo Olys would be a more austere one. ^^; And with Mansai at the helm and the other two seeming to be professionals selected to deliver a more tasteful package, I think we may be getting that after all. ^_^ 

3 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

Who told me it was a good idea to watch 24HTV from 2015? I had never seen Requiem and Hana Ni Nare performed there and they were crying worthy... especially Requiem... I'm a puddle of feels now... 

Speaking of which... Do you guys think he'll do 24HTV again?

I think the theme this year is "people who changed lives"? 「人生を変えてくれた人」is what's written in the page...

37 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

!!! Sorry! I just realized I came off sounding like a jerk, especially to those who enjoy the genre. I hope I didn't offend you too much. I have nothing against Akimoto. In fact, I think he did and is still doing a fantastic job (I think he does it so much better than ol' Johnny...sorry to those who enjoy the bands under his jimusho but...yeah) and his songwriting skills are legit, almost right up there with his producing ones, but I don't think his brand of culture should be used to dominant effect in something like the Olys. Like, even as dominant as kpop was as a theme at PC, the traditional elements were equally as strong, if not more so. While I think there should be some pop elements at the Tokyo events to represent the fun and bubblier aspects of Japan's modern culture, I'm hoping the overarching theme for the Tokyo Olys would be a more austere one. ^^; And with Mansai at the helm and the other two seeming to be professionals selected to deliver a more tasteful package, I think we may be getting that after all. ^_^ 

It's funny you added this because I'm actually a Johnnys fan (or actually I only care about Arashi) and actually am not a fan of 48 groups :laughing:. But I understand the sentiment and take no offense.

I did say previously a long time ago that I would kind of hope (if they do a modern section) that they include Takarazuka in 2020. It would also provide a cool contrast to the historically male-centric japanese theatres.

OT: it'd be soooo cool if they include like a nod to Abe no Seimei in the production. 

34 分, Hydrobladeさんが言いました:

Speaking of which... Do you guys think he'll do 24HTV again?

I think the theme this year is "people who changed lives"? 「人生を変えてくれた人」is what's written in the page...

I don't see why not. He seemed to have made it his mission after his first Oly win, and if he'd appeared faithfully despite injuries in the quad he had the most to lose, what's to stop him from doing it now when he's no longer got anything to lose and is healing well from his last injury? I mean there aren't any guarantees he would and even if he doesn't owe it to anyone to appear, if he doesn't, there's gotta be an extremely good reason. But even then, I'd probably still find it odd if they asked him and he chooses not to do it.

I mean, it's almost like a habit to him now and the guy is nothing if not a creature of habit...

22 分, turquoiseblueさんが言いました:

:giggle: Yeah...I'm thinking it'd be kinda hard not to top the twitter ranking and subsequently the popularity one when the friggin Olympics is tweeting about you every other day like clockwork.

9 分, Forcefieldさんが言いました:

It's funny you added this because I'm actually a Johnnys fan (or actually I only care about Arashi) and actually am not a fan of 48 groups :laughing:. But I understand the sentiment and take no offense.

I did say previously a long time ago that I would kind of hope (if they do a modern section) that they include Takarazuka in 2020. It would also provide a cool contrast to the historically male-centric japanese theatres.

OT: it'd be soooo cool if they include like a nod to Abe no Seimei in the production. 

I can't seem to not put my foot in my mouth, it seems. I apologize, although I don't have anything redeeming to say about Johnny's  and his stable of performers. No wait I do! I think some of them are more than decent actors. Like Nagase, and Okabe, and Ninomiya. ^^But I don't enjoy their singing and dancing. :( And I've never come across a number sung by a Johnny's group that I liked.

2 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

It's kinda hard not to top the twitter ranking and subsequently the popularity one when the friggin Olympics is tweeting about you every other day like clockwork.

Cannot blame them tho. Just see how many likes and retweet they got from Yuzu contents. :10636614:

55 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I'm not sure I'd call myself a Johnny's fan, though I like some Johnny's idols. But to be fair, it doesn't seem Johnny himself has much to do with it and Johnny's appears to be a bit of a sinking ship (I admit I wish those I like would jump ship already...).

I wouldn't mind idol culture making a small appearance at the Olympics, because it is part of Japanese culture. (I also personally believe idols deserve more respect than they get, if only for the insane amount of work they do. I've seen lots of reports lately, especially on members of girl groups, collapsing due to overworking. Also, the mental and emotional pressure they suffer is ridiculous. Some say they know what they get themselves into, but IMO, most of them have no idea. They're too young and too naive and get taken advantage of. And this goes for both girls and boys.) The important thing is not to let it overshadow everything else. Japan's biggest selling point seems to me the mix of modern and traditional, so including both modern pop culture and more traditional cultural stuff would make sense. IMO, it'd also be meh if it was all samurai and geisha, because that's stereotypical. Same if they focused too much on technology. So balancing it all out is going to be interesting. (I do wonder if the choices aren't also meant to pacify all those angry at the money being wasted on the Olympics, though >_>)

Back to Yuzu, I do expect he might do 24HTV again, but I'm not sure he'll go back to Japan for it... it seems a bit of a waste of time (traveling, jetlag, etc.; unless he has other stuff as well). I think it's more likely he's either filmed something already, in between ice shows, or will do it from a distance... though who knows? At the end of the day, it's not Olympic Season anymore, so maybe he won't worry about wasted time traveling back and forth... We'll see, I guess. I think his participating in 24HTV was announced after the media day last year? So it might be a while longer before we know...