What music are you listening to right now?

Deliverpooh

I've been listening to Fiona Apple's new album nonstop since it was released.  It's such a fantastic album, a very original, experimental, percussion-oriented work, which is a challenging listen since the songs have unpredictable structures (they have no typical chorus-verses) and have many sudden tempo changes. It sounds different to everything I have heard before. The more I listen to it the more and more layers open up on the album which is such a great way to discover it. Her voice alone is unique and beautiful and the lyrics are also excellent. This is a woman who changed the way female teenager songwriters were perceived when she released her debut album in the 1990s at a very young age. She has always been artistically independent since then and released only a few albums, on which she worked long years and which are all very good works. Her newest album was worth waiting for 8 years too and I am sure it'll remain one of my favourite albums in the 2020s. I can't wait for the physical copy to be released in the summer, I am a person who likes to open the album, have a look at it, smell it (LOL) and read the lyrics while I listen to it with my headphones.

Besides, I listened to renaissance lute music yesterday (so relaxing and beautiful) and I try to discover as much folk as possible lately, so I'm listening to some Tatar folk music currently.

20 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Shurale has tatar-inspired music by Farid Yarullin.

Here some extracts by Mariinsky Ballet, with Renata Shakirova and Kimin Kim, on last February 20th.

Wow. Someone’s listening to MY music. Literally. I am Tatar. 
you made me go back and listen to one of the favourites. A mournful existential song a Capella about life resembling a dark forest and being scary and about needing a friend/loved one to make it through that forest. 
A wonderful voice too. 

17 minutes ago, Fay said:

Wow. Someone’s listening to MY music. Literally. I am Tatar. 
you made me go back and listen to one of the favourites. A mournful existential song a Capella about life resembling a dark forest and being scary and about needing a friend/loved one to make it through that forest. 
A wonderful voice too. 

Beautiful music! 

I was listening to this today. Very nice music too.

To be honest, I discovered Shurale only when Vaganova Academy had an acting skills exam with scenes of this ballet (it is no more online, unfortunately). But I love it.

Alina Zagitova is Tatar, and Kamila Valieva too.

"The voice of your mountains" sound rather like "voices of mine" (I am from Pyrenees, I think there are theories about a common origin with some Caucasian people, millenaries ago).

1 minute ago, SitTwizzle said:

To be honest, I discovered Shurale only when Vaganova Academy had an acting skills exam with scenes of this ballet (it is no more online, unfortunately). But I love it.

Alina Zagitova is Tatar, and Kamila Valieva too.

"The voice of your mountains" sound rather like "voices of mine" (I am from Pyrenees, I think there are theories about a common origin with some Caucasian people, millenaries ago).

We are the second largest ethnic group after Russians in Russia, there are many of us. Not many speak the language, though... 

6 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Beautiful music! 

I was listening to this today. Very nice music too.

I only understand a few words. :D the accent is quite strong. Might be a fairly unknown dialect too. But very nice, thank you! 

4 minutes ago, Fay said:

We are the second largest ethnic group after Russians in Russia, there are many of us. Not many speak the language, though... 

I only understand a few words. :D the accent is quite strong. Might be a fairly unknown dialect too. But very nice, thank you! 

Well, in Western Pyreneas it is worse. Not so much on the Basque side (a rather natural tendency to a unification into a "Basque common language") though the Soule language (souletin) is really different and not necessarily really Basque, rather a parent language from the Aquitany group of languages; but languages of neighbouring regions are no more threatened by French (from end of XIXth Century to mid-XXth regional languages were persecuted), now rather by other regional languages, which are imposed there as if it was their language, while Western Pyrenean Latin languages have a very special (in fact, Aquitanian) substrate, which is being lost in the last decades.

I understand Central Asia have an extraordinary wealth of languages, some spoken only by very few people. I hope they will survive. A close relative studies some of them and is rather fascinated. (No turkic language though, I think?)

6 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Well, in Western Pyreneas it is worse. Not so much on the Basque side (a rather natural tendency to a unification into a "Basque common language") though the Soule language (souletin) is really different and not necessarily really Basque, rather a parent language from the Aquitany group of languages; but languages of neighbouring regions are no more threatened by French (from end of XIXth Century to mid-XXth regional languages were persecuted), now rather by other regional languages, which are imposed there as if it was their language, while Western Pyrenean Latin languages have a very special (in fact, Aquitanian) substrate, which is being lost in the last decades.

I understand Central Asia have an extraordinary wealth of languages, some spoken only by very few people. I hope they will survive. A close relative studies some of them and is rather fascinated. (No turkic language though, I think?)

There are loads of Turkic languages here - Bashkir, Kazakh, Uzbek, Kirghiz and some smaller languages. It’s quite a large family of languages. 

Mozart's take on May : Komm lieber Mai (Come, beloved May), here sang by a Japanese soprano, Mitsuko Shirai, with her husband at the piano.

I must say, about the photo, that even in Northern Germany forsythias have ceased to bloom, so in Austria, except maybe in higher Alps...

On 4/30/2020 at 10:31 AM, Henni147 said:

Because I'm in total 2Cellos mood this week:

Ladies and Gentlemen: The only version of My Heart Will Go On that I except :deadinside:

RIP to the Titanic band. The real heroes, who played until the very end.

Rather melancholy but the cellists are both eye candy which never hurts one's popularity