General Yuzuru Chat

hace 3 minutos , SparkleSalad said:

He said he wants to practice it (GPF 2016 press conference) but he also tried it at, I think, DOI 2015 unsuccessfully (nearly crashed into the audience.)

Yes, this is it. He said he wanted to practice it, he tried it in public, other people say he landed it, but he never mentioned actually training it. It seems a little bit strange, but probably I am just obsessed with 4A.

34 minutes ago, HaruhiMoe said:

I dont know if the interview come from this program but.. Just watch it, around 11.09 :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: 

Yes, it must be from this interview. The translation was done on a section of Aoi Honoo 2, but it's probable the Aoi Honoo interview came from this. 

Thanks so much for posting this video. Again, I'm so touched and teary-eyed. Esp. in the part where he kept saying つらい and you could see he couldn't quite express how sad he felt inside. I can't quite imagine how the disaster must've affected him, and you can see that he was really genuinely aching to help. He is really a beautiful person :tumblr_m230o5o5Gg1qfamg6:

OK, everyone's talking about 'secret weapons', but I think they are limiting their choices.  Right now the main choices seem to be QLz, QA, and maybe QF.   Someone also raised a Q-Q combination, and there has been some talk of a quint, but as pointed out there's no point-value currently assigned for a quint.  Having intensely studied Yuzu since I first became aware of his existence last spring, I think a reference to Brian's statement about strategic concerns is very germane here.  Yuzu I think would shy away from either a QLz or a QF because Boyang's doing the lutz and Shoma the flip.  Also, we should remember that the QA is the Holy Grail of jumps and we have no idea of how many years(?) Yuzu may have been practicing it outside of formal practice situations.  A QA would have great impact because it is the most difficult of the quads but also it would substantially raise the bar in competitions.  So if Yuzu is going to introduce a new jump in his repertoire, it would seem the QA would be the choice, unless Yuzu chooses an equally spectacular alternative, leaving the QA for the future but adding to his weaponry BOTH a QLz and a QF.  That would have him leading the pack with the MOST quads.  So there are now two possibilities that would both involve Yuzu doing something no one else can do.  There's yet another possibility, one that nobody is looking at, and that involves the 3A.  Hanyu is 'king' of the 3A, mainly because of his patented entry into it, an entry in which there is virtually no preparation.  With that in mind, could one see him doing a 3A as the second part of a combination?  I remember a remark one of the British Eurosport commentators made when watching Hanyu's performance at the 2009 Junior Worlds (not the one he won, but the one before it).  In his program Hanyu attempted a 3A but fell, and the commentator made the remark that it was to be expected, because a '14 year old doing a 3A boggles the mind.'  Well, as we all well know Hanyu has made his perfectly performed 3A's a part of his routines (in the second half, BTW) that garner as many points as any quads he's done in the first half.  I could see that as a very daunting weapon in his arsenal were he to incorporate it.  Another potential weapon, one that has been mentioned, is a quad-quad combination.  I think it quite possible for him to achieve that.

The thing, however, that I feel everyone is missing, is the PCS element.  Hanyu quite simply outskates EVERYBODY in that regard, particularly in terms of his greatest potential rivals.  Boyang has his jumps, and they are not the prettiest things around, but he can work to clean them up.  His PCS numbers, however, are hardly impressive and I don't think they will ever be.  He just lacks the innate musicality that Yuzu has.  Nathan Chen is quite simply too inconsistent in his performances, so I don't think he is a particular threat. Hanyu's biggest challenger is going to be Shoma, who was only a very few points behind Hanyu at Worlds this year.  Shoma possesses a showmanship that rivals Hanyu's and we should not forget the fact that Shoma rose to the level of the elites at the senior level much more rapidly than Hanyu did.  Shoma took the silver at Worlds in only his second year of senior competition and took the bronze in the GPF in his first and second years.  He has Hanyu's charisma, also, and his personality is like that of so many very short people, highly competitive.  He radiates an intensity  on the ice that few skaters possess.  He's the Hanyu to Hanyu's Takahashi.  I am sure that Yuzu is well aware of this so I think that it quite likely that in the revised choreography of his programs for the coming season we will probably see a concentration on giving the elements comprising the PCS a dazzling complexity and virtuosity.  I can see Yuzu chasing PCS scores of 50 in the short program and 100 in the long and then adding to that a full measure of TES basic points and GOEs. It's not a secret that Hanyu is a full master of strategizing his programs for the gaining of points.  All skaters do that, of course, but Yuzu does it better than anyone else.

As far as what Hanyu might do beyond this skating season, I think it quite possible he might retire.  2022 is just too far away and I don't see him trying to hang onto things that long. I feel, however, he has a couple of options for his post-competition life.  One is to coach.  He has the personality to do so successfully.  For one his genuine desire to see other skaters do their best, his cheering Javi the prime example but there are others.  I am also reminded of that short snippet of his returning to the rink in Sendai upon its reopening after the quake and how this one little girl comes gleefully skating up to him to welcome him and his very genuine greeting of her.  It is the quintessential Hanyu.  I don't think, however, he will stay with the Cricket Club for that.  In fact I think it quite possible that he could set himself up in Sendai for that.  The fit would be natural.  Another would be for him to skate shows, but with his reputation and the right people to support him, I could see him starting a show of his own.  We must not underestimate the considerable clout he has in the skating world.  All the evidence I've been able to find indicates that he has the highest profile not only in Japan but around the world that any figure skater, male or female, has ever had.  Finding the backing for a show would not be at all difficult, particularly since that option would utilize his intense love for sheer performance.  Watch him in the ice shows where he's on the ice with others.  There's a natural showmanship there.  He loves to play with the audience and it's interesting how he can go in an instant from skating independently to becoming part of the choreographed skating of the others on the ice.  I don't see him as the producer of such a show but as the one who is the guiding light, the one who provides the essential rationale for the show's existence, that is a possibility readily envisioned.

All this, of course, is sheer speculation.  The reality is that very shortly Yuzuru Hanyu will be taking to the ice and pulling us along on a journey to what all of us hope will be a gold medal in the forthcoming Games and then a gold at Worlds.  If he also has a fifth GPF gold draped around his neck, that would be the perfect bookend for a career at the most elite levels of figure skating, one that began in the season of 2013-2014 with the triple golds of that season and ending with the triple golds of the one we are about to commence.

I can't wait.

39 minutes ago, robin said:

We do :sadPooh:

Okay, but that ending pose was badass ninja tho. The seimei costume just made everything better.

I thought he seemed kind of panicky as he slid to that final pose, like "oh shit, how do I stop mid-ninjutsu" or as if some great villain blasted him and he got struck head-on but made some super cool move to stop it.

Sorry, I digressed... :slinkaway:

That landing looked painful. But he looks so good.

Uno does not possess "Hanyu's charisma."  Shoma certainly does have charisma, as do many other skaters.

But nothing close to Yuzu, who is charismatic both on and off the ice. In all my years of watching figure skating, I've never seen anything quite like him. It's why those people in the Helsinki arena were crying for him when he finished skating to Hope & Legacy. 

1 minute ago, Floria said:

After all the quad talk I spend most of the evening watching this :facepalm:

The title of the video. :laughing: There's landing and then there's 'landing'. 

My knee hurt watching that, but everything else was A+.