History of Yuzu's 4axel talk

So I've slowly been going through the old posts of the general Yuzuru talk thread and I've seen references to multiple people who have claimed to have seen him actually do it. 

1. Does anyone have any links to sources?

2. Have they said if they were in or out of harness?

So far, I think I've seen people mention Plushenko, Arakawa, Miki Ando, Massimiliano Ambessi.  For some reason I thought that either Brian Orser or the guy holding the harness said something about him landing it in harness but with no weight on the harness.

Also, any idea of when Yuzu first started talking about it?  I know it's been a few years but it seems like there's a lot more talk about it - I'm wondering if it's because he already has it or if it's just because he's getting asked about it more.

Max Ambesi told us about the 4A. Out of harness. That is somewhere on his Twitter or FB.

Later Miki talked about seeing it but we don't know much beyond that.

The 4A in a harness with no pulling - Brian post Olympics. That's the link I do have, it's from here:

Thanks for the links!

It's good to know that there's at least 1 official source to point to.

I came across this Plushenko article a couple months ago.  When I read it, I thought, "hmmm, maybe the old sensei Yuzu keeps referring to is Plushy" ;)  (not really, but this sounds so similar to something Yuzu said in an article I can't find right now)

https://healthylivingmagazine.us/Articles/419/

I am very grateful to those athletes who, after the Vancouver [Olympic Games], started to jump quads and included several...After some time they’ll learn all of the quadruple jumps; five quads in a program will become the norm, and it will be a real thing, true figure skating, as figure skating is not only an art, a ballet, not only beautiful skating; first of all, it is a sport…  I think there are no limits in sports. They always move forward. First, the athletes will learn all quads, then 4.5 quads, and in some 50-70 years there will be a quintuple jump, I’m sure. Maybe in 100 years, but it will happen. There will be combinations of two quads. I know because I was training a 4.5 axel and two toe loop quad combination. If I jumped it, I think guys will jump it too—after some time maybe. There will be different athletes, different gear, lighter boots and blades. One hundred years ago folks used to jump a single jump; now a quad is a norm. Just give it time.

Holy sh*t! I nearly had a litter of kittens!!! I was :knc_yuzu1:cause I woke up and saw this new thread and thought overnight Yuzu had landed one in practice or something and we had gotten proof/vids!!! Then I actually clicked the thread and I was like :headdesk:

So thanks for the heart attack guys! :xD:

lol I think we can relax. He could be landing one every day at TCC, but I still don't think we'd see it until he brought it to a competition. It'd be his ultimate secret weapon and he wouldn't want to show it until it'd be ready for competition. So I don't think we'll see any TCC practice 4A or attempts at 4A until then. ETA: He could even do it at media day and we probably won't know until he wants us to know. Remember 4Lz-3T last media day.

Last media day, Brian said Yuzu had been jumping 4A and 4F at times, too, but not seriously practicing them. (gladi has many interviews translated, including that, but I don't the link handy by) Yuzu said the same about 4A at ACI, I think. That he's been trying it - he denied he's landed it, but knowing Yuzu that doesn't necessarily mean anything; he also said he wasn't doing 4Lz last year - but that he hasn't been training it properly. I was also very intrigued when someone asked him about taking 4A to the Olympics and instead of saying "No way, I can't train it this season!" he said "I don't know. I/we'll have to think about it."

I wouldn't be surprised if they are downplaying his success with it, but all things considered - injuries and the not high speed progress of previous quads, namely 4Lo only two seasons ago, 4Lz last season, but not much chance to develop it, injury in Summer 2016 and again injury this year - it's really hard to believe 4A is ready to see the light this season. Then again, Yuzu is Yuzu, so I'm kind of ready for anything :9:

39 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

lol I think we can relax. He could be landing one every day at TCC, but I still don't think we'd see it until he brought it to a competition. It'd be his ultimate secret weapon and he wouldn't want to show it until it'd be ready for competition. So I don't think we'll see any TCC practice 4A or attempts at 4A until then. ETA: He could even do it at media day and we probably won't know until he wants us to know. Remember 4Lz-3T last media day.

Last media day, Brian said Yuzu had been jumping 4A and 4F at times, too, but not seriously practicing them. (gladi has many interviews translated, including that, but I don't the link handy by) Yuzu said the same about 4A at ACI, I think. That he's been trying it - he denied he's landed it, but knowing Yuzu that doesn't necessarily mean anything; he also said he wasn't doing 4Lz last year - but that he hasn't been training it properly. I was also very intrigued when someone asked him about taking 4A to the Olympics and instead of saying "No way, I can't train it this season!" he said "I don't know. I/we'll have to think about it."

I wouldn't be surprised if they are downplaying his success with it, but all things considered - injuries and the not high speed progress of previous quads, namely 4Lo only two seasons ago, 4Lz last season, but not much chance to develop it, injury in Summer 2016 and again injury this year - it's really hard to believe 4A is ready to see the light this season. Then again, Yuzu is Yuzu, so I'm kind of ready for anything :9:

Honestly I don't mind if Nessie doesn't make an appearance this season because that means Yuzu will be back in competition next year :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

Yuzu's 4A definitely exists but he hasn't had the chance to train it properly. Now he's got a good few months and since he's got his 4S and 4T back, the question is what will come next. Its not Olympic season anymore and the 4A is his main motivation so I think he's going to give it a fair shot this season.

1 hour ago, dotsquare said:

Honestly I don't mind if Nessie doesn't make an appearance this season because that means Yuzu will be back in competition next year :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: 

Yuzu's 4A definitely exists but he hasn't had the chance to train it properly. Now he's got a good few months and since he's got his 4S and 4T back, the question is what will come next. Its not Olympic season anymore and the 4A is his main motivation so I think he's going to give it a fair shot this season.

That's what I thought, too. Especially now that we got videos of successful attempts in a harness and people trying it in competition.

RIP Brian's hair...

• Yatagarasu changed the title to History of Yuzu's 4axel talk
4 minutes ago, guitarist said:

That's what I thought, too. Especially now that we got videos of successful attempts in a harness and people trying it in competition.

RIP Brian's hair...

Poor Brian. Someone should do a comparison of what Brian looked like before he met Yuzu and now :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp: