2018/19 Coaching changes

9 minutes ago, cirelle said:

I keep counting in my head, if Wakaba goes to TCC in a year (2019), she’ll have completed the ”year and a half” in late 2020/early 2021, giving her basically a year before the Olympics, is that enough to establish her as a medal contender? On the other hand, she has already shown that she’s a threat. And also, waaaay to early to speculate. :laughing:

Maybe she'll have off-season boot camp, too. Or some kind of arrangement. Her current team did a great job with her last season, really (ETA: Except for insisting on keeping that flip in the SP, though maybe in the end it helped her because she didn't get called on it at her Worlds free skate!). Her programmes were perfect for her. JSF just let her PCS sink. But now she's a World medallist, so hopefully the only way now is up. Hopefully. Even if she gets the year and a half treatment from TCC - all total speculation - she might have solid enough basics to stick her performances through all that.

We have no idea if she will end up there, though. It's wishful thinking because we know TCC can help her get that 3A and make her skating skills better so she can have more complex programmes. Seems like a good fit.

15 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Eteri will have to. The multiple run throughs kind of training? It's got to be more stressful on the body when they include 3As and quads! It will take work to find the balance between the tough training that does get excellent results, and minimising damage so they can keep skating and stay competitive past 18. I'm sure they can do it if Eteri stops with the body preparing for babies thing. I'm also glad that Zhenya isn't going to be the guinea pig. 

Nice programmes for her now! :Cheese:

The multiple RTs really are a big question mark. It isn't just that it definitely doesn't work with mature bodies, there is also the issue of how much wear and tear are the younger bodies being subjected to, so that once they reach a certain age, they are even more prone to injuries. 

Quantity does not mean quality, sports science proved this a long time ago but at the same time, I definitely see the logic of repetitions in the case of skating. There has to be a solution to how this is handled and maybe Eteri will find one. I am sure they can do it too, if they want to and see that a mature lady can be a successful skater and I hope that they don't find themselves up against the wall at some point (as it is bound to happen; nothing is infinite so at some point, the revolving door will stop by simple circumstances) and that they choose to do so on their own. Hopefully now. There is still time for Alina. She's 16 I believe so Eteri has a year or so to try and adjust.

But right? New programs, bless. I've wanted that for ages :13877886:

13 minutes ago, cirelle said:

I keep counting in my head, if Wakaba goes to TCC in a year (2019), she’ll have completed the ”year and a half” in late 2020/early 2021, giving her basically a year before the Olympics, is that enough to establish her as a medal contender? On the other hand, she has already shown that she’s a threat. And also, waaaay to early to speculate. :laughing:

Honestly? I haven't a clue! :rofl:

Too early for sure, especially because of the new rules. We still don't have a good idea about where any of that is going. In a year we'll probably have a better picture of both them, but also of the application and how that is going. Her 3A is a big question too, she says she wants to work on that now, so again, this coming season should help.

I suppose, in general, if she switches next off season that is 2 full seasons before the Olympic one so there is time. 

21 minutes ago, Fay said:

I think she was over with the school last summer. We finish school at 17. 

If you are referring to Wakaba, we graduate at 18 so she has another year in high school.

I still cannot get my head around Med in TCC. It just seems so wrong, odd, strange... so at odds with what they have done until now.....but, i hope she finds what she is looking for there and positively influences Gabby and Elizabet on the way. 

One good thing, though, is that she will likely get new choreo, which is something i have wanted since after her senior debut. 

An interesting experiment for Brian: taking on an already packaged, aged out of Eteri school skater, and seeing what they can become as a mature skater. 

'Working hard' can be a nice way of describing over training.  Satoko is a 'hard worker', and I can't help wondering whether her stress fracture was a result of over training.  I remember seeing Takahashi interview Uchimura after watching him train and expressing surprise at how few run throughs of his routines he did, saying that he (T) did constant practice,  whereas U prioritised quality practice over quantity, treating each practice as though it was competition after mentally rehearsing it a lot.  One of the reasons he managed all those years unbeaten was not having an injury serious enough to wreck his competition performances- was that luck or was it partly due to not hammering his body with repetitive practice?   Watching that documentary about Evgenia,  seeing her bashing on with a broken foot,  it seemed counter productive to me.

4 minutes ago, Lilona said:

Ppl is it surely confirmed that Zhenya will move to Borser?

Olga Ermolina, the press spokesperson for the fed (if I understand correctly) narrowed it down to Eteri or BOrser according to quote. Seems pretty sure now.

15 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

'Working hard' can be a nice way of describing over training.  Satoko is a 'hard worker', and I can't help wondering whether her stress fracture was a result of over training.  I remember seeing Takahashi interview Uchimura after watching him train and expressing surprise at how few run throughs of his routines he did, saying that he (T) did constant practice,  whereas U prioritised quality practice over quantity, treating each practice as though it was competition after mentally rehearsing it a lot.  One of the reasons he managed all those years unbeaten was not having an injury serious enough to wreck his competition performances- was that luck or was it partly due to not hammering his body with repetitive practice?   Watching that documentary about Evgenia,  seeing her bashing on with a broken foot,  it seemed counter productive to me.

Oh yes, all of this.

I may be wrong, way too many things happened, but I believe Satoko herself may have actually said that it was due to over-training. It's the old belief that if you basically kill yourself at practice, you have worked well and it always, always surprises me when we encounter this with elite athletes because it has been ages since it has been proven beyond doubt that is false and harmful. Quality over quantity and you'll achieve better results (I have some friends who coach, some at high levels, not skating but still, and they say it is still a fight to get rid of this idea that quantity is better, at the lower levels but not so much at the top levels of sport). 

With Zhenya, there are quite a few questions. Why go to NHK? Should she have gone to Euros? Eeeeh. What ifs. 

As far as we know, Wakaba going to TCC is just a rumour only coming from Max months ago right (and it sounded like they were in talks of her going, not a settled thing)? Zhenya going will lower chances of her going for sure, I think. There's always a chance the talks or situation may have changed. 

7 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Olga Ermolina, the press spokesperson for the fed (if I understand correctly) narrowed it down to Eteri or BOrser according to quote. Seems pretty sure now.

what do you mean she narrowed it down to Eteri or BOrser? Wasn't she leaving Eteri? 

1 minute ago, kaerb said:

what do you mean she narrowed it down to Eteri or BOrser? Wasn't she leaving Eteri? 

She is leaving Eteri and going to Orser.

The rest is just the remnants of the first Sambo statement that she is staying at Sambo itself, which is the exact same thing they said when Yulia and Sima left. She's out of there and off to Canada.

14 минут назад, WinForPooh сказал:

But it's not sound to sure to me oO

5 minutes ago, kaerb said:

As far as we know, Wakaba going to TCC is just a rumour only coming from Max months ago right (and it sounded like they were in talks of her going, not a settled thing)? Zhenya going will lower chances of her going for sure, I think. There's always a chance the talks or situation may have changed. 

I mean Fed response seems to be that Zhenya will be with Eteri or BOrser, and Zhenya's side seems to have said pretty definitively that she's leaving Eteri. That leaves BOrser.

There was some earlier statement about how they need to talk/figure it out/something along those lines, wasn't there? Seems like a follow-up statement but actually mentioning an outside coach. It's not a formal announcement, but it would be very very surprising if that didn't mean that it'll be BOrser.