2018/19 Coaching changes

14 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Not only that but Orser news has been out for ages and everyone 's quiet about it too. 

@Huiqi about Wakaba, well it depends. We have no idea what the issue is. We're just sort of speculating it may be due to her high school but who knows. There's also still the open question of Boyang so if he too is going in full time, then I am afraid that yes, the door closes for her. 

May i ask why is it that if Boyang goes to TCC, the door closes for Wakaba? TCC now can accommodate a maximum of 2 new students?

4 minutes ago, liv said:

Med, wakaba, boyang... who else is in line to move in to Javi's soon to be empty apartment? :) Maybe Trusova (just kidding)... 

I wonder what Trusova and the other young quadsters think about this. Eteri's method (multiple runthoughs + adding a 3T or 3L to every jump during practice) can help them achieve otherworldly consistency but it can cause lasting damage to their body. Maybe Eteri will change her training approach, but who knows.

Brian will not want too many students. He wants to give everyone attention, treat them equally, especially at the top level, so it would be unfair to everyone if he took on more than 1 or 2 new ones at the top. This year Javi has pretty much left so there was at least one spot available. However, exactly the number TCC considers enough is only known to them. 

1 minute ago, Huiqi said:

May i ask why is it that if Boyang goes to TCC, the door closes for Wakaba? TCC now can accommodate a maximum of 2 new students?

Because it is not so much that the space is limited, it is that time is. What I mean is, they have to be able to give enough attention to all the skaters, while keeping the quality of the work they do there. Javier is the one who left so we know there's at least that one space that can be filled but with the skaters already there (and two of those are advancing, especially Gogolev now who'll be turning Junior this season) it has to be limited. I don't think Brian will risk spreading himself too thin. He's always played it safe.

7 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Why should they? They're an elite enviorment, and those are always limited and they usually work partially because they are limited. 

Also, from previous documentaries and interviews, it sounds like although each athlete works primarily with one coach, this is interchangeable - I remember specifically a comment that if one coach was busy or away, another coach would take over in a seamless fashion. Meanwhile, Mr Orser maintains overview of the whole system. So if they are to add a coach, I can't imagine that TCC would just add any coach - they would need to ensure that the coach they add complement the skillsets of the existing coaches, and that this interchangeable system can still work. If they have a coach with a different philosophy, it would wreck havoc to their current system! It strikes me that the philosophy that Mr Orser and his group at TCC have is relatively unique (compared to other coaches and coaching groups), so I can't forsee it being that easy to just "add coaches". The TCC team (from their publicised comments) also seem to me to be pretty careful that it's not the tail wagging the dog (ie they don't add students for the sake of it, and they're not necessarily after trophy- and medal-winners, but that trophies and medals are a byproduct of the passion for figure skating they and their students have).

18 minutes ago, Huiqi said:

I wonder what Trusova and the other young quadsters think about this. Eteri's method (multiple runthoughs + adding a 3T or 3L to every jump during practice) can help them achieve otherworldly consistency but it can cause lasting damage to their body. Maybe Eteri will change her training approach, but who knows.

I don't know... At that age, you feel fine after doing all that and icing after cooling down is enough to take care of most aches and pains. You feel invincible, and 18 or 19 seems so far away. Unless they have parents or guardians who look at it and decide that they want their wards to be skating and competitive for more than a couple of years as seniors, I doubt the quadsters think that way. 

10 minutes ago, Xen said:

what if tcc adds coaches?

More likely that Boyang would have a short-term or boot camp thing, wouldn't they want him on home ground before Beijing? 

ETA: Sorry! Double post! My mouse is acting up and I can't go back and change it. 

4 minutes ago, Cerunias said:

It strikes me that the philosophy that Mr Orser and his group at TCC have is relatively unique, so I can't forsee it being that easy to just "add coaches".

Mhm. They have to be good enough, they have to fit in, plus even then, the larger the number of people in general, the more difficult to control no matter how good it may look in the beginning. I absolutely understand the benefits of a limited, tightly run environment. Of course it limits the number of students but it's the price they pay for being elite.

____

@WinForPooh no need, it happens to everyone, including us. We won't keel over due to one post ;) 

1 minute ago, WinForPooh said:

More likely that Boyang would have a short-term or boot camp thing, wouldn't they want him on home ground before Beijing? 

I think I'm a bit behind on the news in this respect, but I thought that the original news was that it was short-term, and it was as much to take advantage of the choreographers who work closely with TCC? I thought I had read through this whole thread, but clearly I've missed the posts that suggest (or reference reports that specify) otherwise...

1 minute ago, Cerunias said:

I think I'm a bit behind on the news in this respect, but I thought that the original news was that it was short-term, and it was as much to take advantage of the choreographers who work closely with TCC?

Yes, but there were multiple quotes and translations and snippets that suggested that it might be a prelude to a more long-term thing.

4 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Mhm. They have to be good enough, they have to fit in, plus even then, the larger the number of people in general, the more difficult to control no matter how good it may look in the beginning. I absolutely understand the benefits of a limited, tightly run environment. Of course it limits the number of students but it's the price they pay for being elite.

To be honest, I'm not sure it is necessarily that great a "price", if only to keep their teaching philosophy "pure" and "intact". Why fix what ain't broke?