Team China

Xiangning Li is skating at the pair's tryouts right now. Hao Zhang is there as well. It's unclear whether they intend to split Yu/Zhao for Li/Zhao or if he's just a mentor. But reliable sources have cited that there may be possible 'heartbreaking' restructuring of the pairs and dance teams. 

at least Boyang is always the same sunny self: 

12 hours ago, Eclair said:

Xiangning Li is skating at the pair's tryouts right now. Hao Zhang is there as well. It's unclear whether they intend to split Yu/Zhao for Li/Zhao or if he's just a mentor. But reliable sources have cited that there may be possible 'heartbreaking' restructuring of the pairs and dance teams. 

Goodness, where would that leave Yu, if they do end up with Li/Zhao. Considering the past .... sigh.

At least Boyang is happy and his sunny self! 

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

We're more worried than Boyang about it all. :13877886:

True :laughing:

But he has the right attitude, and it's brill to see. He cannot control any of it so he might as well not worry and enjoy his time! 

40 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

But he has the right attitude, and it's brill to see. He cannot control any of it so he might as well not worry and enjoy his time! 

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to point out how we as fans, whom it actually affects far less (and really not at all), are worried more about it. :laughing: We could take a hint! I love his attitude.

1 minute ago, hoodie axel said:

Oh, I agree. I just wanted to point out how we as fans, whom it actually affects far less (and really not at all), are worried more about it. :laugh: We could take a hint! I love his attitude.

It's not possible, I think it's in our job description to angst over the tiniest things :rofl:

I saw this on Twitter the other day and it is A+++ description of how the FS fandom (over)reacts:

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

Welcome to the confused club, enjoy your stay. We have vodka!

Well Zhao did state 2 main reasons:

1) she has good technique for jumping so it could help cover some of the SBS jump deficiency in pairs among the ladies

2) she might not be competitive anymore   in women's singles by 2022 (Here I guess he's eyeing the Russian Eteri ladies)

He's not too far off actually....China's probably thinking along the lines of "We're unlikely to have a women's skater place in the top 10 in the next 4 years in seniors level, so take those funding and get the junior ladies up to speed. We have a deal in ice dance, let's spend money there, and we have a potential contender in men's let's put the money there." Zhao's interview about how they'll coordinate overseas training for the up and coming domestic skaters in the women's discipline-that's where the money is going to be spent for the women's event.

Never mind, was reading back on past posts and saw the post of Xiangyi An on page 40. She's the only novice I know of from China after I saw a video of her doing  an axel at age 5.

If anyone is interested here's a recent fs of her at the Chinese National Championships where she came 2nd overall (154.64 points) with a 0.26 difference from Chen Hongyi who came first.

What do you guys think of her? Anyone know of any other skaters?