2 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

(I can forgive the entire article because he suggests uniforms be made by UA.)

You missed the bit where he went after Weir, and indirectly Yuzu, cause Weir did inspire quite a bit of Yuzu's costumes. 

Is this one of those people who has funny feelings when watching Yuzu skate? 

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

You missed the bit where he went after Weir, and indirectly Yuzu, cause Weir did inspire quite a bit of Yuzu's costumes. 

Is this one of those people who has funny feelings when watching Yuzu skate? 

lol :biggrin: Nah, I read the whole thing but he probably doesn't even know who Yuzu is. :P I think Yuzu would stand out even more in a sea of UA, too.

TBH, as a casual FS watcher of the once every four years variety, I was a bit dismissive of Johnny at first because of some of his outlandish costumes (probably not the "gay" ones the men seem to be so afraid of - I love the original Ave Maria and City of Angels, for example) and I assumed his skating style would be just as gaudy. Now he's one of my all time favourites for his beauty, grace, and sincerity - not a drop of pretension anywhere - the complete and utter opposite of the first impression his costumes gave me. Of course what he wears is his decision but I don't think he's always that great at having them suit the spirit of his programs. To me that's a bit of a shame as it can distract from the beauty of his skating (though I've since learnt to let the beauty of his skating distract me from the costumes.) Some of them are lovely, though, and Yuzu's adaptations are always stunning. :tumblr_inline_mueoe3Yabh1qdlkyg:

I wish a journalist would write an article about the double standard when it comes to men's and women's FS costumes. 

Imagine what an outcry there would be if any of the women showed up for ANY competitive skating event and skated in what looked to be street clothing they purchased at a department store.

5 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I think it's silly to use Tonya Harding's case to argue his point. Sure, there are still issues of sexism, but figure skating has evolved since then and costumes don't really affect the results. They are just interesting talking points for us audiences. Nobody would say Zhenya didn't deserve her gold medals simply because they didn't like her costumes. Does this Paul Lukas still live in the Tonya Harding era? :facepalm:

And kudos to Adam for speaking up! :clap: