Team Russia

4 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

Why should a Federation attack its own athletes? What the hell? 

because they have to justify their own actions and because some officials are idiots. 

Mishin had to say a few kind words about Julia, thanking her and saying she was one of the pioneers of the Russian dominance in Ladies' FS

http://tass.ru/sport/4513150

4 minutes ago, Fay said:

because they have to justify their own actions and because some officials are idiots. 

Mishin had to say a few kind words about Julia, thanking her and saying she was one of the pioneers of the Russian dominance in Ladies' FS

http://tass.ru/sport/4513150

Sadly I don't understand Russian, but it's enough to know that at least some have the decency not to attack a person that has already proven to be fragile... 

Guest turquoiseblue

Russian figure skating star Lipnitskaya may work as state official — sports minister

RFSF President Alexander Gorshkov told TASS that the federation had not received any official document from Lipnitskaya about her decision to retire.

"Yulia Lipnitskaya is a great athlete, who will stay in the history of figure skating," Kolobkov said in an interview with TASS. "Her performance to the soundtrack from ‘Schindler’s List’ made an Olympic history."

"It is very sad that she decided to call it an end to her sports career so early, but I have no doubts that she will show herself more than once in other qualities and not in sports only," Kolobkov said. "It is possible that she will be able to start a career of a state official and we will be always waiting for her."

"She is a great athlete with a great personality no matter how young she is," the Russian sports minister said. "We will provide her with all necessary support."

This news made me cry, I'm not truly surprised but I am shocked. I always imagined she would come back one day, she was so good and so talented and so determined. But figure skating is a cruel sport both mentally and physically and I completely respect her decision to retire. It must not be an easy decision, but she has so many talents that she will definitely find what is right for her in her bright future. :cry: Thank you, Yulia!

I was absolutely certain this would happen really soon, so I am not surprised in the least. In a way, I feel like it's perhaps the end of a very bad time for her, finally, and yes, perhaps quitting skating all together is what is necessary for her to truly shake off the shadows of the past that obviously continued to haunt her. I am sadder than I thought I'd be, as I figured I'd made peace with it, but I guess not because I can't stop thinking how much we lost because she was never allowed, and I do think that's the right word, to become a fully mature skater. But ultimately, sod that. Be happy Yulia, fly high!