Team Russia

1 hour ago, yuzupon said:

Rarely keep up with this thread but decided to visit for an explanation on this yet another round of the whole mess that is OAR. Seriously. It's an absolute mess. I hurt for the athletes whose literal blood, sweat, and tears are being tossed around for the sake of, what exactly? Saving face? 'Saving' the sport? ???!!

Also, I cannot keep up with the diminutive name of Russian junior ladies. Who is Stasya?

Nastya is, err, Anastasia? So, Tarakanova and Gubanova?

I know Sasha is Alexandra, and Alyona is how they pronounce Alena so that's Kostornaya.

And Dasha, I gather, is Daria Panenkova.

So, Stasya is Stanislava Konstantinova? 

:help:

:darklordyuzu: I have the same problem when ppl talk about the Russian ladies using their nickname (is it a nickname?).  

3 hours ago, Sammie said:

:darklordyuzu: I have the same problem when ppl talk about the Russian ladies using their nickname (is it a nickname?).  

Not really, a sorta petname. Nearly every Russian name has a diminutive, and it’s easier to use those rather than the full names. In fact, Russians extend it even to non-Russian names - my name is Tatar, Fayruza, but peoply call me Faya... 

But it’s like Elizabeth can be Lizzie and Robert can be Bobby in English... 

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (Cas) overturned the IOC suspensions - for doping at the 2014 Winter Olympics - partially upholding 11 other appeals.

Cas said that in 28 cases evidence was "insufficient" to prove doping.

The IOC said it would consider its own appeal to the Swiss Federal Tribunal.

Cas said that for the 11 athletes whose appeals had been partially upheld, evidence "was sufficient to establish an anti-doping rule violation" had taken place.

It said they would be "declared ineligible" for this month's Games "instead of a life ban from all Olympic Games".

The IOC said that the Cas ruling "does not mean that athletes from the group of 28 will be invited" to this month's Games in Pyeongchang.

Unfortunately none of that matters for the current two, and they're appealing to the Swiss Civil Courts. I have no idea if that decision will even happen before the Games, and even if it is favorable, I genuinely do not know if IOC is even under any obligation to follow it in case it is in favor of the athletes. Of course, it is possible that the timing will be super close and even if they manage, they're hardly prepared, what with the stress and everything. 

Of course, to the best of my knowledge, there are still no explanations as to why they were 'banned' in the first place, which is really the thing that bothers me the most. It lacks transparency and opens the door to so much fudging that it's just something awful.