Team Russia

I tend to be a bit more sceptical about Plush, though - his coaching success is yet to be seen.

Oh absolutely and I don't expect any quick success at all. But Plushy has this incredible drive, he's one of those people that make me think they're almost willing things to happen. My one gripe with him is that I wish he'd gone to school in this break and gotten some theoretical knowledge under his belt but still, hopefully it all goes as best as it can go.

I mean Adelina will and won't be a good test case, considering everything so I'm going to keep an eye on the Juniors coming from there.

I tend to be a bit more sceptical about Plush, though - his coaching success is yet to be seen.

Oh absolutely and I don't expect any quick success at all. But Plushy has this incredible drive, he's one of those people that make me think they're almost willing things to happen. My one gripe with him is that I wish he'd gone to school in this break and gotten some theoretical knowledge under his belt but still, hopefully it all goes as best as it can go.

I mean Adelina will and won't be a good test case, considering everything so I'm going to keep an eye on the Juniors coming from there.

Have some pity - the guy was busy doing shows all this time. :s_tongue

He's got the drive for himself, but it remains to be seen whether and where he can drive others. Let's live and see - but he sure thinks BIG!

Have some pity - the guy was busy doing shows all this time. :s_tongue

He's got the drive for himself, but it remains to be seen whether and where he can drive others. Let's live and see - but he sure thinks BIG!

True that :grin:

It can be contagious which is what I'm hoping will happen. But yes, we'll see how that goes! He does dream big and wants to go back to the Olys as a coach so he'll try. I am glad Emanuel is handling Adelina's choreo and Misha I think did one of the Juniors so at least that is covered!

I'll go back to Eteri's article and quote one tumblr blogger vspirit8. You'll all understand why. Because I just loved it. :devil: :space:

https://vspirit8.tumblr.com/post/160390597832/этери-тутберидзе-если-воспитание-проецировать-на

While her open respect and honest admiration for Hanyu is refreshing and pleasing, I feel as if she doesn’t give him enough credit. She’s speaking as if he’s a product of some kind of system or machine when in fact the only factory Hanyu emerged from is his own. Everything about this dude is organic, from how he first got into the sport, to how he decided to stick with it, right to what he’s doing now. Even down to his development as a skater. It’s all a gradual and organic process.

He’s the mastermind and CEO behind his own success and from the interviews he’s given as well as accounts from others who’s worked with him (or are still working with him), they all know it. If it appears as if he’s listening to someone else calling the shots, it’s cos he personally agrees with them or believes that something might come out of it if he’s patient. But if it goes against what he himself has steadfastly decided because he knows it’s right for him, absolutely no one can change his mind or even attempt to influence him. He is respectful of authority and experience but he also has a mind of his own that he uses to weigh out when to listen and when to follow his own thoughts and instincts, even if they don’t always steer him down the right path. But that’s also good cos they’d be mistakes he’s made and can therefore learn from in order to make better and more informed decisions of his own next time. All in all, this rare balance (a.k.a. wisdom) coupled with his drive, determination and everything else a typical hot-blooded athlete has, is how you get a Yuzuru Hanyu.

I actually think that for a Yuzuru Hanyu to emerge, it has to be outside a system. Given the way Russia is, even if there was a budding one among them, he or she would have had their will stamped out by the system (as they get exposed to it early on) or if it doesn’t, you get the discord that’s happening right now. What Yuzuru Hanyu did was come into his own (thanks to being born with a mind like his and brought up by a family who was able to nurture it—very important combo, this one, just like his 4T3T) and then took advantage of the system in his county to grow–on *his* terms. Which is why despite his success now, he still seems to exist outside of it, yet it (the system) has to work for him (grudgingly, some might say) cos he delivers results that benefit it–even against odds, especially against odds.

And ironically, this, for being as Japanese-y as he is with his mannerism and work ethic, is as un-Japanese as they come. And the guy admits it, too.

P/S: Also, for another Yuzuru Hanyu to emerge, that poor kid would also need to go through the kind of unique experiences and circumstances Hanyu’s had growing up, which, frankly, I really wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Trankov, translated by Tanka from fsuniverse. Tanka will never learn to spell Yuzuru's name! I'm not changing it, sorry!

https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/index.php?threads/vaytsekhovskayas-interview-with-trankov-i-was-a-background-player-in-sochi.101221/

EV: I.e. in the near future you will only be skating the shows?

MT: Probably. I can't yet say which shows exactly.

EV: Which would you prefer?

MT: Japan and Switzerland. Its' not about the money: you learn so much in these shows just from skating with the great skaters on the same ice. I.e. you get to see how they train, how they warm up, how they prepare to the skate and generally work. Take Hanuy: obviously in Japan he can just go out on the ice, land two 3S and the audience will go mad. Instead Hanuy holds a full time practice off the ice every day and I would die if I had to repeat his ice practice.

Fay said:
I'll go back to Eteri's article and quote one tumblr blogger vspirit8. You'll all understand why. Because I just loved it. :devil: :space:

https://vspirit8.tumblr.com/post/160390597832/этери-тутберидзе-если-воспитание-проецировать-на

While her open respect and honest admiration for Hanyu is refreshing and pleasing, I feel as if she doesn’t give him enough credit. She’s speaking as if he’s a product of some kind of system or machine when in fact the only factory Hanyu emerged from is his own. Everything about this dude is organic, from how he first got into the sport, to how he decided to stick with it, right to what he’s doing now. Even down to his development as a skater. It’s all a gradual and organic process.

He’s the mastermind and CEO behind his own success and from the interviews he’s given as well as accounts from others who’s worked with him (or are still working with him), they all know it. If it appears as if he’s listening to someone else calling the shots, it’s cos he personally agrees with them or believes that something might come out of it if he’s patient. But if it goes against what he himself has steadfastly decided because he knows it’s right for him, absolutely no one can change his mind or even attempt to influence him. He is respectful of authority and experience but he also has a mind of his own that he uses to weigh out when to listen and when to follow his own thoughts and instincts, even if they don’t always steer him down the right path. But that’s also good cos they’d be mistakes he’s made and can therefore learn from in order to make better and more informed decisions of his own next time. All in all, this rare balance (a.k.a. wisdom) coupled with his drive, determination and everything else a typical hot-blooded athlete has, is how you get a Yuzuru Hanyu.

I actually think that for a Yuzuru Hanyu to emerge, it has to be outside a system. Given the way Russia is, even if there was a budding one among them, he or she would have had their will stamped out by the system (as they get exposed to it early on) or if it doesn’t, you get the discord that’s happening right now. What Yuzuru Hanyu did was come into his own (thanks to being born with a mind like his and brought up by a family who was able to nurture it—very important combo, this one, just like his 4T3T) and then took advantage of the system in his county to grow–on *his* terms. Which is why despite his success now, he still seems to exist outside of it, yet it (the system) has to work for him (grudgingly, some might say) cos he delivers results that benefit it–even against odds, especially against odds.

And ironically, this, for being as Japanese-y as he is with his mannerism and work ethic, is as un-Japanese as they come. And the guy admits it, too.

P/S: Also, for another Yuzuru Hanyu to emerge, that poor kid would also need to go through the kind of unique experiences and circumstances Hanyu’s had growing up, which, frankly, I really wouldn’t wish on anyone.

Mmhmmm this scratches all my itchy spots :pbow: Thanks for posting it Fay!

The Gen chat thread got me thinking about the Russian men. We keep talking about the ladies and with good reason but I wonder how it's all going to end with the men? Aliev's coming up to Seniors and if he can get his head in order, negl, I think he can kick out Kovtun who seems to be falling apart. I think Kolyada is a safe bet but of course, there's Samarin too apart from Dima. This has the potential to be equally messy.

The Gen chat thread got me thinking about the Russian men. We keep talking about the ladies and with good reason but I wonder how it's all going to end with the men? Aliev's coming up to Seniors and if he can get his head in order, negl, I think he can kick out Kovtun who seems to be falling apart. I think Kolyada is a safe bet but of course, there's Samarin too apart from Dima. This has the potential to be equally messy.

Well, I do surely hope some men will emerge who can deliver the content to be competitive enough. Aliev's very good, but not very consistent sometimes. Lazukin could prove to be quite good. Samarin... hasn't impressed me much so far, but sounds promising.

Petrov might learn some more quads, though I don't believe that.

The trouble with Kovtun... he's consistent at Russian Nationals! LOL

Well, I do surely hope some men will emerge who can deliver the content to be competitive enough. Aliev's very good, but not very consistent sometimes. Lazukin could prove to be quite good. Samarin... hasn't impressed me much so far, but sounds promising.

Well, no one believed that Petrov would actually show us a quad after all those unfulfilled promises, but he actually delivered! Don't write him off. Though tbh I don't believe he'll emerge with a 4Lz or 4F (I think Mishin was saying something of that sort after Petrov landed a rotated 4T for the 1st time?).

Lol, 'the trouble with Kovtun' is so on point.

I hope Lazukin will find consistency and rise to the top among Russian men. He even tried a 4Lo at a local competition, but his strongest points are his balletic lines and quite nice skating overall, I think.

Well, no one believed that Petrov would actually show us a quad after all those unfulfilled promises, but he actually delivered! Don't write him off. Though tbh I don't believe he'll emerge with a 4Lz or 4F (I think Mishin was saying something of that sort after Petrov landed a rotated 4T for the 1st time?).

Lol, 'the trouble with Kovtun' is so on point.

I hope Lazukin will find consistency and rise to the top among Russian men. He even tried a 4Lo at a local competition, but his strongest points are his balletic lines and quite nice skating overall, I think.

Don't you ever believe what Mishin says :rofl2:

He told before that Petrov doesn't add a quad because they don't want to show unfinished product, 4T should be perfect to be added at competition etc. That quad I see from Petrov now it hardly perfect.

Samarin is honestly a pain to see live (SS and TR, not found) so...maybe Aliev? But he's so inconsistent...

Kolyada is pretty nice all around but his programs don't do it for me. :acceptable: