Team Russia

• 2 weeks later...

so, Russian Maxim magagzine published their April/May edition featuring Zhenya. the pictures showed up in my Insta feed - and I really wish they hadn't.

It's not that I have a problem, per se, with an athlete or a skater doing those types of shoots (which are comparatively tame next to Sport Illustrated swimsuit issue, sometimes), it's that in Zhenya's case, something about it feels off. Like, she isn't this personality at all...and you can see in her face that she's really not sure about it...

I don't know. when Liza did Maxim, I thought "Good for her!", but with Zhenya I'm thinking "Jesus, I hope she's okay"... what a contrast.

On 4/1/2022 at 8:43 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

so, Russian Maxim magagzine published their April/May edition featuring Zhenya. the pictures showed up in my Insta feed - and I really wish they hadn't.

It's not that I have a problem, per se, with an athlete or a skater doing those types of shoots (which are comparatively tame next to Sport Illustrated swimsuit issue, sometimes), it's that in Zhenya's case, something about it feels off. Like, she isn't this personality at all...and you can see in her face that she's really not sure about it...

I don't know. when Liza did Maxim, I thought "Good for her!", but with Zhenya I'm thinking "Jesus, I hope she's okay"... what a contrast.

Response under spoiler - warning: its a rant

Spoiler

I was upset - because I felt it was very inappropriate timing.  Barely a week ago we were crying with Ukrainian skaters at the atrocities and slaughter happening in their country. These posts were absolutely tone deaf to what is going on and the international response ie despair for and support of Ukrainian people. Medo showing her assets surrounded by trappings of a lovely safe life talking about herself and how she didnt like her waist when she was 19 is not what I want to see on my SMS - even unfollowing didn't stop it though....and fans drooling over her too, the same fans who have Ukrainian colours on their bios of their accounts. I don't understand how ppl don't see this as the height of insensitivity - imagine being one of the Ukrainian women skaters seeing this, as they struggle with fear and trauma and loss. I know Evgenia is not responsible for the war, but her country is - I thought she'd have had a bit more emotional intelligence tbh. She has a world wide following on SMS. However she is young, so I will forgive her....I suppose 

@Pammi

Spoiler

Agree with you on timing but then I realized that magazines have huge lead times so the photos and interview were most likely done before the invasion. It still looks insensitive though. 

Agree with you on the rest but will say no more for the the time being 

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

@rockstaryuzu

Reveal hidden contents

Yes I thought the same re when shoot was probably done...but SHE posted them on her IG - story and posts, at this time! I still can't quite believe it.

Spoiler

Yes. In the end, it made me unfollow her. I don't want to be mean or unkind to her, at all, but I can't handle witnessing the cognitive dissonance.

Guest turquoiseblue

@rockstaryuzu & @Pammi

Spoiler

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I was upset and disappointed because I've been following her career since her junior years and she has always been my favourite female skater... I unfollowed her on Instagram, Telegram and TikTok... I also unfollowed her fan accounts...

I sent crying emojis in her Telegram posts about the magazine before leaving her channel... 

TTXbUpE.jpg

@turquoiseblue

Spoiler

Ah thank goodness! I was sooooo pleased that @rockstaryuzuhad made an initial comment about it as I was just dying to have a rant, and I couldn't especially on twitter where fans were saying how fabulous she looked etc...I did put "the timing is so wrong" under one such tweet and the OP (who had Ukrainian hearts/colours in their bio) responded "what is this in relation to?" - I didn't answer, if they can't work it out, there is just no hope :weeping:

I'm so glad there are a few of us who felt the same though, that DOES give me hope!! My teenager also thought it was in very poor taste and showed unbelieveable thoughtlessness to those who are suffering at the hands of Russian forces (and the news of what they are doing just keep getting worse and worse too)

6 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

@rockstaryuzu & @Pammi

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'm relieved to know that I'm not the only one who feels that way. I was upset and disappointed because I've been following her career since her junior years and she has always been my favourite female skater... I unfollowed her on Instagram, Telegram and TikTok... I also unfollowed her fan accounts...

I sent crying emojis in her Telegram posts about the magazine before leaving her channel... 

TTXbUpE.jpg

5 hours ago, Pammi said:

@turquoiseblue

Reveal hidden contents

Ah thank goodness! I was sooooo pleased that @rockstaryuzuhad made an initial comment about it as I was just dying to have a rant, and I couldn't especially on twitter where fans were saying how fabulous she looked etc...I did put "the timing is so wrong" under one such tweet and the OP (who had Ukrainian hearts/colours in their bio) responded "what is this in relation to?" - I didn't answer, if they can't work it out, there is just no hope :weeping:

I'm so glad there are a few of us who felt the same though, that DOES give me hope!! My teenager also thought it was in very poor taste and showed unbelieveable thoughtlessness to those who are suffering at the hands of Russian forces (and the news of what they are doing just keep getting worse and worse too)

Spoiler

To be honest, this whole thing is such a headache. Not just being Zhenya's fan, but the other Russian skaters I follow as well, are something of an ethical dilemma right now for me. I of course realize that individual people shouldn't necessarily be held responsible for the actions of a political leader, particularly such a one as in this case, but at the same time, I feel that continuing to support them sends a wrong message given the nature of the situation. I wish these skaters well as fellow human beings but politically we're in a whole other ballgame right now...:ohno:

Guest turquoiseblue
Spoiler

I had already unfollowed those who had supported the Russian invasion in March, and I've now decided to unfollow all Russian skaters, experts and fan accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Telegram and TikTok for the time being...