Team Russia

56 minutes ago, turquoiseblue said:
  Hide contents

I had already unfollowed those who had supported the Russian invasion in March, and I've now decided to unfollow all Russian skaters, experts and fan accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Telegram and TikTok for the time being... 

I must do the same, I think it is a wise choice, for now...

13 minutes ago, turquoiseblue said:

For a country that supposedly doesn't care about outside opinion, they sure seem hungry to know what completely random strangers on the Internet think of them...and you never know

Spoiler

who it is that is on the other end of the line. It took me 3 years to realize who it is I was talking to, but I once had an argument with Zhulin in the comments section of a YT video about whether Kaetlyn Osmond was strong or, in his words, 'fat' 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Guest turquoiseblue
17 hours ago, Pammi said:

I must do the same, I think it is a wise choice, for now...

Spoiler

To be honest, I was sad to unfollow all of them and I thought I would miss them and their updates, but it turns out that I don't. I actually feel better and calmer now. The only regret is that I should have done it earlier.

I created my Telegram account only to follow Russian skating community when Russia banned Instagram, and then I started joining Ukrainian channels, too. I will keep using Telegram for Ukrainian updates :grouphug:

17 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

For a country that supposedly doesn't care about outside opinion, they sure seem hungry to know what completely random strangers on the Internet think of them...and you never know

Reveal hidden contents

who it is that is on the other end of the line. It took me 3 years to realize who it is I was talking to, but I once had an argument with Zhulin in the comments section of a YT video about whether Kaetlyn Osmond was strong or, in his words, 'fat' 🤮🤮🤮🤮🤮

Spoiler

Zhulin has a YouTube account and interacts with skating fans in the comment section? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: His comment is disgusting and disrespectful :59227c768286a__s:

27 minutes ago, turquoiseblue said:

Reveal hidden contents

To be honest, I was sad to unfollow all of them and I thought I would miss them and their updates, but it turns out that I don't. I actually feel better and calmer now. The only regret is that I should have done it earlier.

I created my Telegram account only to follow Russian skating community when Russia banned Instagram, and then I started joining Ukrainian channels, too. I will keep using Telegram for Ukrainian updates :grouphug:

Reveal hidden contents

Zhulin has a YouTube account and interacts with skating fans in the comment section? :tumblr_inline_ncmiffG34Z1rpglid: His comment is disgusting and disrespectful :59227c768286a__s:

Spoiler

I don't think he posts videos. But anyone with a gmail or Google account automatically has YT too. 

On 4/3/2022 at 7:25 AM, Pammi said:

Response under spoiler - warning: its a rant

Hide contents

I was upset - because I felt it was very inappropriate timing.  Barely a week ago we were crying with Ukrainian skaters at the atrocities and slaughter happening in their country. These posts were absolutely tone deaf to what is going on and the international response ie despair for and support of Ukrainian people. Medo showing her assets surrounded by trappings of a lovely safe life talking about herself and how she didnt like her waist when she was 19 is not what I want to see on my SMS - even unfollowing didn't stop it though....and fans drooling over her too, the same fans who have Ukrainian colours on their bios of their accounts. I don't understand how ppl don't see this as the height of insensitivity - imagine being one of the Ukrainian women skaters seeing this, as they struggle with fear and trauma and loss. I know Evgenia is not responsible for the war, but her country is - I thought she'd have had a bit more emotional intelligence tbh. She has a world wide following on SMS. However she is young, so I will forgive her....I suppose 

Spoiler

I must say, this reminds me of when she posted that video of herself dancing under the blooming Sakura trees in the Spring of 2020. The park was closed due to the Pandemic. People posted on her account trying to explain to her that the local governments had asked people not to travel around for fear of spreading COVID from the large cities into the smaller towns where the health facilities were not so robust. She was annoyed by that and was horribly tone-deaf then too.

Guest turquoiseblue
14 hours ago, IceWings said:

Reveal hidden contents

I must say, this reminds me of when she posted that video of herself dancing under the blooming Sakura trees in the Spring of 2020. The park was closed due to the Pandemic. People posted on her account trying to explain to her that the local governments had asked people not to travel around for fear of spreading COVID from the large cities into the smaller towns where the health facilities were not so robust. She was annoyed by that and was horribly tone-deaf then too.

Spoiler

I remember the sakura incident but I didn't know the park had been closed... Could you share the source?

8 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Hide contents

I remember the sakura incident but I didn't know the park had been closed... Could you share the source?

Spoiler

I remember people were asked not to gather and watch the blossoms and some popular streets where people usually go to see the blossoms were blocked off. I'm not sure about the specific park Zhenya was in, but I remember the park was practically empty in her video, which made me think the park was closed. It could be that since the locals were already following directions about not gathering in the park, it was not necessary to actually close the park.

Guest turquoiseblue
22 hours ago, IceWings said:
  Hide contents

I remember people were asked not to gather and watch the blossoms and some popular streets where people usually go to see the blossoms were blocked off. I'm not sure about the specific park Zhenya was in, but I remember the park was practically empty in her video, which made me think the park was closed. It could be that since the locals were already following directions about not gathering in the park, it was not necessary to actually close the park.

Spoiler

Thank you for your explanation. I have to say she was tone-deaf back then too... :68811363: 

This post is under under a spoiler - Ukrainian FS acc being critical of Plushenko's ice show and the skaters who participated (who are listed) - also there are some images of the war in the thread which may upset people

Spoiler

Guest turquoiseblue
On 4/9/2022 at 8:33 PM, Pammi said:

This post is under under a spoiler - Ukrainian FS acc being critical of Plushenko's ice show and the skaters who participated (who are listed) - also there are some images of the war in the thread which may upset people

Hide contents

Spoiler

Thank you for posting the link to the thread. In reply to it, someone shared an interesting thread about sports and politics in Russia. It's a long thread but a great read :reading:

I'm also sharing Ivan Danyliuk's opinion on "why Russia doesn't deserve to be in international sport at all" explaining sport means different things in Russia and the "civilized world". He is a founder and president of Skate Ukraine.

His post on FSU

3 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for posting the link to the thread. In reply to it, someone shared an interesting thread about sports and politics in Russia. It's a long thread but a great read :reading:

I'm also sharing Ivan Danyliuk's opinion on "why Russia doesn't deserve to be in international sport at all" explaining sport means different things in Russia and the "civilized world". He is a founder and president of Skate Ukraine.

His post on FSU

Spoiler

That post by Daniluk tracks with everything I've ever heard about the Soviet/Russian system. Anectdotally, I've personally heard accounts of Russian defectors coming here, taking up sport, and after a few months, openly wondering why they're not being given instructions on how to dope or cheat...

It's not limited to Russia either - my brother had a Nordic skiing coach in university who defected from another eastern European nation rather than be a spy for the secret police - because all the elite-level coaches in his country were expected to spy on their own athletes at international competitions.

I commend Ukraine for moving forward and trying to shed this history. I'm sure it can't be easy. 

Spoiler

Skaters like Liza, Aliona saying on IG and Telegram they did not wish to politicize their participation at ice events, they just want to skate, they say they didn't know there was a rally organised before Plushenko's ice show - also there was a half hour delay before the skaters got some sort of reassurance from K as they say they refused to skate, but it seems they were manipulated (Liza uses that word actually to say she doesn't want her skating to be "manipulated") - I'll look for the link and post it if I find it - it had screenshots of skaters' SM accounts.

Some info from skaters' accounts under spoiler.

2 hours ago, Pammi said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Skaters like Liza, Aliona saying on IG and Telegram they did not wish to politicize their participation at ice events, they just want to skate, they say they didn't know there was a rally organised before Plushenko's ice show - also there was a half hour delay before the skaters got some sort of reassurance from K as they say they refused to skate, but it seems they were manipulated (Liza uses that word actually to say she doesn't want her skating to be "manipulated") - I'll look for the link and post it if I find it - it had screenshots of skaters' SM accounts.

Some info from skaters' accounts under spoiler.

Spoiler

I read Liza's Insta - she was very upset I think. Said she didn't want to see her performances used to 'manipulate others'. I think

They're all in a more tricky situation than they realize