Team Russia

53 minutes ago, Neenah said:

Sorry, but I can't admire her endurance or accept this behavior. She is hurting herself and setting a very bad example for the younger girls who look up to her. This kind of thinking should never be encouraged especially that this is the second time she is talking about enduring pain (the first was not eating) to overcome a natural thing like growing up.

Where are the adults in this situation and why is no one stopping this? Her family and her coaches need a good shake (or a slap) to wake them up to reality. This is not something to be proud of, encouraged or even tolerated. She is only 16 for god's sake, someone needs to do something  

The adults are right there telling her not to eat and not to rest and I'm sure all the younger ones will be told the same regardless of what Alina does. I'm so happy Zhenya has found a happy place. 

Anna is a beautiful bride :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

Regarding Alina:

I don't want to sound like I think it's fine, but... that's sport. That's how most of the succesful athletes think, you may say it's radical, but that type of endurance, that often come with risking health, often makes a difference between winning medals or not. And for the athletes this is calculated risk... Alina may be 16, but she has her own mind, she wants this. She's not the only one with similar problem, you can be sure of it. And of course Alina could (and probably should), rest more and take care of that knee, but then she wouldn't have that career she has now. The athlete's choice...

Just now, yuzuangel said:

Polina T. has the same disease, IIRC.

Is this a product of their diet? or lack of eating... I read somewhere that ED's increase the risk of stress fractures...

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

The adults are right there telling her not to eat and not to rest and I'm sure all the younger ones will be told the same regardless of what Alina does. I'm so happy Zhenya has found a happy place. 

Yes thank god Zhenya is out of there tbh... 

4 minutes ago, LucyH said:

Is this a product of their diet? or lack of eating... I read somewhere that ED's increase the risk of stress fractures...

Yes thank god Zhenya is out of there tbh... 

2 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I think it's just a genetic disease that gets aggravated with a competitive athlete's lifestyle. 

Sorry, it seems Polina T. has this disease: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osteochondritis_dissecans

Not sure if any of these are genetic...but they are supposed to go away if you stop skating. And are aggravated with extensive training.

3 hours ago, airi said:

Anna is a beautiful bride :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

Regarding Alina:

I don't want to sound like I think it's fine, but... that's sport. That's how most of the succesful athletes think, you may say it's radical, but that type of endurance, that often come with risking health, often makes a difference between winning medals or not. And for the athletes this is calculated risk... Alina may be 16, but she has her own mind, she wants this. She's not the only one with similar problem, you can be sure of it. And of course Alina could (and probably should), rest more and take care of that knee, but then she wouldn't have that career she has now. The athlete's choice...

osgood schlatter is a disease that is linked to overtraining at a young age. And if you rest, there is a very very high probability of it healing itself. If you don't, it 99% won't. Draw your own conclusions whether that is OK to do. 

And of course there are elite training centers out there that put the health of their athletes first and are still very successful internationally. It's the same like with runners. There are some who overtrain when young and then burn out totally at 18. While in my country the coaches are very careful with guiding and building the youngster so they can have a long and fruitful (and successful) career. Alina is a minor. It's the coaches responsibility to tell her to stop if necessary, to teach her when she should push her limits and when not. I don't see Eteri teaching her that. 

additional: Osgood schlatter is not a stress fracture. it's not a typical disease associated with lack of food.